PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Men's 200 Free Pick 'Em

knelson
July 30th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Tonight's 200 free final looks like it should be a real dogfight. How will it all shake out? Here's my prediction:

Gold Agnel
Silver Sun
Bronze Park

I think Lochte just misses out. I'd love to see him make the podium, but that's my gut feel.

Anyone else want to make a prediction? :cheerleader:

Daniel
July 30th, 2012, 11:37 AM
mmmm Gold: Sun
Silver: Agnel
bronce: Lochte

Amazing race will be...

scyfreestyler
July 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Same trio, but I'll go Sun/Gold, Agnel/Silver and Park/Bronze.

Chris Stevenson
July 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
It will be a great race; just think, no one here has even mentioned the current world record holder, who is swimming pretty well. Could you imagine if Phelps was in the mix too? My guess is that Park and Biedermann will be the ones on the outside looking in.

Gold: Sun
Silver: Lochte
Bronze: Agnel

But if Sun wins this race while double-breathing into the walls, I'm going to be a little nauseated...

Water Rat
July 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Gold: Sun
Silver: Lochte
Bronze: Agnel

But if Sun wins this race while double-breathing into the walls, I'm going to be a little nauseated...My order as well. Sun just looks too good and Lochte has too much going for him right now. I saw the double breathing thing too. Couldn't believe it.

lefty
July 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Tonight's 200 free final looks like it should be a real dogfight. How will it all shake out? Here's my prediction:

Gold Agnel
Silver Sun
Bronze Park

I would go with that too, though since you already claimed it I will put Lochte in 3rd instead.

Sun was basically the same speed in the 400 as last year. Angel seems to be swimming faster than last year. And based on times going in to the games, Angel was the favorite. I think he wins by .5 or more.

Indianaman79
July 30th, 2012, 02:53 PM
ryan lochte doesn't medal, agnel wins and park and sun tie for 2nd - just a guess

vndad
July 30th, 2012, 02:59 PM
ryan lochte doesn't medal, agnel wins and park and sun tie for 2nd - just a guess

Man you are a genius in the highest order!

Indianaman79
July 30th, 2012, 03:12 PM
almost as amazing as splitting a 28.93 on the last 50 of your 400 IM as a female - almost

arthur
July 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I wonder if Sun can still match his 1500m time from last year since his 200 and 400 free have become so fast. It is amazing how much shorter Park is than Sun and Agnel.

That Guy
July 30th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I wonder if Sun can still match his 1500m time from last year since his 200 and 400 free have become so fast. It is amazing how much shorter Park is than Sun and Agnel.
Last year Sun famously finished his 1500 with a 54.1. Saturday he finished his 400 with a 53.5. Today he finished his 200 with a 53.7. Maybe he just had a bad race today.

quicksilver
July 30th, 2012, 04:55 PM

If there's a tie, do they each get silver and the fourth place gets a bronze?

Just curious.

That Guy
July 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM
If there's a tie, do they each get silver
Yes.

and the fourth place gets a bronze?
No.

lefty
July 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM
If there's a tie, do they each get silver and the fourth place gets a bronze?

Just curious.

I am surprised how many people think this. Not a flame, just wondering (again since this is commonly thought) what would be the logic behind giving the 4th place finisher recognition for a 3rd place finish?

Lui
July 30th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Gold Agnel
Silver Sun
Bronze Park

Wow, almost spot on except that you couln't have guessed that Sun and Park would both come in second. I actually guessed Sun would win.

TRYM_Swimmer
July 30th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I am surprised how many people think this. Not a flame, just wondering (again since this is commonly thought) what would be the logic behind giving the 4th place finisher recognition for a 3rd place finish?

I have had lots of discussions with folks who think that way; two tied for second, so the next one is third!! Noooo, you were beaten by three people, so you are fourth, no matter if they all tied for first.

Lui
July 30th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Noooo, you were beaten by three people, so you are fourth, no matter if they all tied for first.

Just curious. I know this would never happen but theoretically what would happen if the first 4 would all tie and come in first:D Would all four win Gold?

quicksilver
July 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM

The question was a little tongue and cheek. But at the same time it's fair to ask as it will probably come up in the sports news one of these days.

If there's a four way tie, they have to re-do the event. :)

__steve__
July 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I didn't see it but did Sun breath (or even double breath) on the 200 walls?

jaadams1
July 30th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I didn't see it but did Sun breath (or even double breath) on the 200 walls?

Who knows? I won't see it till after 8:00pm PST which is still 2 1/2 hours away. I'll probably be asleep by the time NBC gets around to the swimming anyway. They do more about Tweeting statistics and other garbage for than even covering ANY sport. :bitching:

knelson
July 31st, 2012, 12:47 AM
Wow, almost spot on except that you couln't have guessed that Sun and Park would both come in second. I actually guessed Sun would win.

Yeah, not too shabby! I wouldn't have expected Agnel to be so far ahead, though.

Lochte is clearly not as good a freestyler as those other guys. He kills on the turns, but can't quite keep up during the swimming portion.

jaadams1
July 31st, 2012, 12:55 AM
Yeah, not too shabby! I wouldn't have expected Agnel to be so far ahead, though.

Lochte is clearly not as good a freestyler as those other guys. He kills on the turns, but can't quite keep up during the swimming portion.

Definitely was a tough race.

Allen Stark
July 31st, 2012, 12:58 AM
I finally saw the race.I now actually feel better about Lochte's chances in the 200 BK.His free was choppy and his breathing wasn't smooth.He looked much better at trials. He'd better get better for the relay though.

philoswimmer
July 31st, 2012, 01:23 AM

He seemed really down in the interview afterward -- as though the silver in the relay had really brought him down and shaken his confidence. I felt bad. And he said that he's swum faster before. So, I think he had a bad race, not that he is lacking in ability and training.

Makes me wonder what would have happened if he'd been spared the relay and been coming off the high of the 400 IM....

orca1946
July 31st, 2012, 01:24 AM
I thought I heard Phelps was the 2nd fastest in the relay

ElaineK
July 31st, 2012, 08:57 AM
I thought I heard Phelps was the 2nd fastest in the relay

No, Cullen Jones was 2nd fastest:applaud: in the relay. Phelps was fastest.

quicksilver
July 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
In retrospect Phelps should have stayed with the 200 free. His 400IM may have been off but the 100 free split was outstanding.

The Fortress
July 31st, 2012, 10:02 AM
He seemed really down in the interview afterward -- as though the silver in the relay had really brought him down and shaken his confidence. I felt bad. And he said that he's swum faster before. So, I think he had a bad race, not that he is lacking in ability and training.

Makes me wonder what would have happened if he'd been spared the relay and been coming off the high of the 400 IM....

I think he did lack the training for sprint free.

He did look really deflated. The relay + the 4th in the 200 free don't put him in the best mindset for his remaining events. Hope he can snap out of it.

Does he have to glide in and lift his head at every finish?!?!

knelson
July 31st, 2012, 10:04 AM

Oz is correct if he's talking overall. Pretty sure only Yannick Agnel had a faster split than Phelps.

quicksilver
July 31st, 2012, 10:25 AM
Does he have to glide in and lift his head at every finish?!?!
I noticed the same thing.

He said that he put his head down and charged the last 15 meters of his 200 free. But they say he had a chance of getting second if he had thrown his arm into the pad.

mctrusty
July 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
In retrospect Phelps should have stayed with the 200 free. His 400IM may have been off but the 100 free split was outstanding.

After seeing the 200 free, I thought the same thing. He probably didn't want to deal with the 200 fly prelim/semi and 200 free finals on the same day but I thought he would have had a good shot in that 200 free last night.

Chris Stevenson
July 31st, 2012, 11:18 AM

I disagree, Nathan Adrian's leadoff swim was just about as impressive as Phelps' leg, but he went off a flat start.

I'm a little surprised at how little notice Adrian got for his great leadoff (except from Rowdy, at the time). It was a very impressive swim.

knelson
July 31st, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm a little surprised at how little notice Adrian got for his great leadoff (except from Rowdy, at the time). It was a very impressive swim.

It was. Adrian put them exactly where they needed to be to have a chance.

ElaineK
July 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Oz is correct if he's talking overall. Pretty sure only Yannick Agnel had a faster split than Phelps.

Oh, ok; I thought he meant for the U.S. team. :)