PDA

View Full Version : If I'm sore, should I swim some more?

gr33k
July 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I just started to swim for fitness reasons and while I'm always been sore the next day so far, I've always gone swimming just to keep on exercising. But today my body is especially wrecked because I went tubing yesterday. Today is monday and I want to get my laps done as well as go to the gym to work on Chest so how should I handle this situation?

Also I'm new to swimming so let me know of any pro tips that would get me in better shape as well!

fmracing
July 30th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Take a couple ibuprofens... if its pretty bearable after that, swim. If not, rest.

FR.LLC
July 30th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I recently did a little resistance training and my muscles were a little sore today too. I swam lightly for about 15 minutes today and worked on longer streamlines off the wall. That really worked for me! I also went on a run yesterday, which helps me get pumped up for more workouts! For me it is like cross-training. There are probably better choices if you are not a dedicated runner too. I'd like to hear suggestions on workouts to improve muscle soreness. I'm already feeling like I'm going to need some more of those! :)

orca1946
July 31st, 2012, 01:28 AM
As with anything fitness that is new to your body, it will take time for you to adjust. Work to gain fitness not to hurt yourself. Keep at it grasshopper !

quicksilver
July 31st, 2012, 08:38 AM
Agreed. Part of getting over the hump is in adapting to the demands of the physical stress. In due time the body will adjust. But it's very important to ease into a given work load.

Muscle soreness usually goes away as long as there's adequate recovery. Sometimes a light practice helps stretch everything out and pushes the lactic acid out of the muscles. So to answer your question yes it's ok to swim even if you're sore. Just go easy.

In the summer months I enter stand-up paddle board races and the typical course distance is 6 miles. My late day practice sessions (about 90 minutes) leave my back and shoulders in a real state or hurt. But the 3,500 yards of morning pool time the next day helps massage this right out.

Waterdog7946
July 31st, 2012, 12:26 PM
Definitely get in the pool. Work on technique and feel of the water.