PDA

View Full Version : good plan?

JasonMorris22
July 31st, 2012, 03:21 AM
Ok, so my club swim team is taking a break for the entire month of august. I figure that this might be a good time to gain some ground on other swimmers who aren't swimming during this time(almost everyone). But I need a plan. I have a pool in my back yard so I was thinking that I could swim this whole time. I came up with this swim practice. Does it sound good to anyone?

stretch
150 warm up
150 drill
200 sprint the whole time
100 easy
100 easy
100 easy
100 easy
100 easy
100 easy
150 cool down

as you can tell I'm working on getting better at 200's

Kevin in MD
July 31st, 2012, 03:09 PM
While your workout certainly has specificity going for it, no variety.

Check out the workouts section of this message board for good ideas. Also, check out the middle distance workouts given in any number of books out now. Championship Swim Training would be a good source. The latest edition of the swim coaching bible is good and Blythe Lucero's workout book collection from meyer and meyer sport is also good. Check your library for those titles.

As for your plan and what's wrong with it ...

You need to do some work FASTER than your goal 200 pace will be. Many ways to get there but suffice it to say that shorter intervals will allow you to swim faster than the goal pace. For example 50s on ample rest would allow you to string together a good amount of yards faster than your 200 pace.

Another thing might be broken 200s, rest 10 seconds after 100 and another 5 after 150. That should allow you to swim 200 yards at or very close to your goal 200 pace.

And then of course there is the endurance end of things, you need to do some work at longer than 200 yard efforts as well.