PDA

View Full Version : Lochte at Olympics/General Question.

AJDawg
July 31st, 2012, 12:49 PM
I know it's early and there's many races to go but --- wanted to ask the experienced swimmers here what they think of Lochte's performance so far.

Is he trying to do too much and swim too many events? I thought he'd medal every event he was in but it looks like he was out of the hardware awards in the 200 freestyle.

Also --- a general question: What's the purpose of the "warm-down" pool? Is it significantly warmer than the main long-course pool? Does it just promote greater relaxation? Is it a usual fixture at major competitions?

Thanks.

AJD

Frank Thompson
July 31st, 2012, 01:20 PM
I think he swimming very well so far. A lot of people thought that he would never beat Phelps at the Olympics if they swam head to head in the IM and Free events and he did that in a big way. He has been the best swimmer in the World for the last 3 years and he has a lot of pressure to prove that he will be this year.

With that being said, I really did not think he would win the 200 Free and I picked Yannick Agnel in my predictions for my Olympic pool because he had the fastest time so far this year and both Lochte and Phelps did not come close to what he swam in the 1:44 range at the Olympic Trials. Because of what Angel did in the relay I figured Ryan would be fighting for 2nd with Sun and Park. He was only beaten to the wall by less than a tenth of a second and it was commented by Rowdy Gaines that if he would have charged the wall at the finish he might have been in the medal position.

Sure he is disappointed in the relay but Yannick Angel had the fastest 100 Free split in these Olympics. Also his 1:43.14 is almost a second faster than when Phelps swam that 1:43,86 textile time inn 2007. This guy is a monster and he reminds me of Paul Bierdmann when he was hot in 2009 breaking the 400 Free World Record and then having a showdown with Phelps in the 200. I did not think Phelps would beat Biedermann back then based on that 400 swim and I think Angel will win the 100 Free tomorrow.

Which brings up and interesting question of WHO is going to be swimming the 4th spot on the relay tonight. I think Phelps should do it because he has never done it and he was the fastest at trials and would love to see him against Yannick Angel since we did not get to see him swim that event.

As regards to Lochte he still has the 200 Back & 200 IM double and if he can win those and set World Records in each of them, he will be remembered as having a great Olympics with 4 Gold medals.

Rob Copeland
July 31st, 2012, 01:40 PM
Which brings up and interesting question of WHO is going to be swimming the 4th spot on the relay tonight. I think Phelps should do it because he has never done it and he was the fastest at trials and would love to see him against Yannick Angel since we did not get to see him swim that event.Nice match-up. This could look a lot like 1984 with Phelps playing the part of Bruce Hayes and Angel playing the part of Michael Groß.

Chris Stevenson
July 31st, 2012, 02:05 PM
Performance in the 400 IM was awesome, best textile time ever and a PB for him. He was clearly gassed at the end, but maybe if he had someone pushing him he may well have gotten the WR, one that I thought untouchable right now.

It is hard to judge his 100 free split on the relay because he hasn't swum it much before. It was a good time but it looked worse than it was because of Agnel's blazing split; he also admitted to the strategic mistake of spinning his wheels a bit too much in the first half of that swim, which is somewhat of a rookie mistake on relays (although Bernard did exactly the same thing 4 years earlier).

In the 200 free he was about half a second slower than when he won World Championships the year before; if he had done that time he would have gotten silver, and if he had improved it a little -- which maybe he expected to do -- he would have been competitive with Agnel. So he surely expected to go faster and was disappointed that he didn't. But still, he was about 0.1 sec from the silver medal.

He's having a fine meet but not up to the standards he probably set for himself (nor the unreasonable standards the media and maybe the public have that he would have a meet comparable to Phelps' from 2008).

There is a lot of swimming left: he should be favored to win the 200 IM and is probably a co-favorite in the 200 back. He has tough competition in both races.

orca1946
July 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM
"warm down" is the new term for "cool down" to ease muscles back down & work some lactic acid [sorness making stuff] out before the next race.
The temp is not it.

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 11:56 AM
He's overated IMO.

Great swimmer at every stroke but not dominating in any single one stroke. The american media hypes these guys up so much and likes to brush their losses under the table when they get beat like Phelps in the 200.

ALM
August 1st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Also --- a general question: What's the purpose of the "warm-down" pool? Is it significantly warmer than the main long-course pool? Does it just promote greater relaxation? Is it a usual fixture at major competitions?

Warming down by swimming a few slow, easy laps is essential after a swimming race. It allows the heart rate and blood pressure to return to normal, and it helps flush lactic acid out of the muscles.

Warm-down lanes are required at most swim meets. The USMS rule (http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf) states:

102.4 Warm-up/Warm-down
102.4.1 Availability—If there is no other warm-up/warm-down area available in pools of five lanes or more, one lane shall be set aside for warm-up/warmdown during the conduct of the meet. If there is no other warm-up/warmdown area available in pools of four or fewer lanes, swimmers shall be allowed to swim to the other end of the pool at the end of each heat, and a warm-up/warm-down period shall be offered at least once during each half-hour of competition.

If there is a separate warm-down pool, it is usually not significantly warmer than the competition pool. At the US Olympic Trials in Omaha, the warm-up/warm-down pool was kept approximately one degree warmer than the competition pool.

JWes
August 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
We've actually been discussing Lochte at work. Personally, I think he was just too overconfident after the 400IM. It was a great swim and I think he may have thought the rest of his races were going to be a breeze. When they didn't go like he had hoped, it screwed with his head. I think he's struggling to get back "in the zone".

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I think he needs to take a step back over that line.

He's still my fave though just because he's so cute. :)

orca1946
August 2nd, 2012, 12:25 AM
It's good to see him & Phelps get excited watching other team mates swim!

Frank Thompson
August 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
He's overated IMO.

Great swimmer at every stroke but not dominating in any single one stroke. The american media hypes these guys up so much and likes to brush their losses under the table when they get beat like Phelps in the 200.

"Great swimmer at every stroke" this statement is true. "But but not dominating in any single one stroke" this statement is false. " The American media hypes these guys up so much" this statement is true. ' And likes to brush their losses under the table when they get beat like Phelps in the 200" this statement is false.

The reason the second statement is false is because since 2007, Ryan Lochte has been dominating the 200 Back event and has lost only once and that was at the 2009 World Championships when he lost to Peirsol and Aaron set the World Record in that swim. So for close to 6 years he has owned this event but that could change today, we will see. He also has basically been undefeated in both the 200 and 400 IM since taking 3rd in both events at the 2008 Olympics. This could change today also.

The media hypes their swimmers they pick out because that is their job and they have to. Phelps, Lochte, and Franklin have to live with this and incorporate this in their program. Phelps seems to be lower key than the other two when it comes to letting it all hang out with their personalities but then again he has been burned in the past so he is more cautious then the other two. The media seems to key on his family at the meets more than the others but Franklin's parents are getting key media exposure as well. Locthe's parents not so much but getting some. Allison Schmitt is getting a lot of local exposure here in Michigan but not so much nationally.

The media has not bushed off the losses of both Phelps and Lochte and both have to deal with the pressure it brings. When Phelps lost the 200 Fly he was disappointed but when the 800 Free Relay won, he seemed happy again. Also the media realized that even though he did not win the 200 Fly that day, it was a day he made history being the greatest Olympian ever.

I had to laugh when Sebastian Coe didn't think that Phelps was the greatest Olympian and thought Dailey Thompson was. Phelps, in his sport has been more consistent in winning medals consecutively than anyone in the history of the Olympic Games and Visa is starting to hype on that and they should because he deserves it regardless of what happens forward.

Ryan Lochte's place in history will be determined a great deal by what happens today. In 2008, he did this same double and beat Peirsol and won the 200 Back but had a very disappointing 200 IM in taking 3rd. He has had 4 years to work on this double tonight with a 30 to 40 minute break and its very possible he could do it.

If he does it will be considered one of the greatest achievements ever in one day of finals. He would become the second man in Olympic history to win the 200 Back consecutively and he would be in good company with Rolland Matthes who many consider including myself to be the greatest backstroker in history. He would also defeat the greatest swimmer and greatest olympic athlete in history if he wins the 200 IM and that would mean something. This would definitely make up for the 200 Free and 400 Relay disappointments.

Rob Copeland
August 2nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
This would definitely make up for the 200 Free and 800 Relay disappointments. I assume you meant 400 Relay.

Frank Thompson
August 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
I assume you meant 400 Relay.

Of course and I am not going to be saying anything about the race to be a spoiler.