PDA

View Full Version : men's 100 fly

orca1946
August 1st, 2012, 12:19 AM
O K here we go. Will Phelps come back from his lazy 200 fly finish
[as he calls it] to crank out a win - place - show?

oldwahoo
August 1st, 2012, 01:02 AM
Pressure of most medals is off him, I think he surprises and wins handily. His 100 free relay split was very good.

O K here we go. Will Phelps come back from his lazy 200 fly finish
[as he calls it] to crank out a win - place - show?

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 11:49 AM
He won't win.

Nobody is afraid of Phelps anymore and now that he has lost the 200 Cavic can stick a fork in him and send him home with TWO fly losses. He was good when they had "the suits" but no suit will save his butt now. He may get a few more medals (relay ect.) but the most important ones are the fly events since that is his trademark stroke. He already got "cavic'd" once come the 100 he will get "cavic'd" again.

knelson
August 1st, 2012, 12:06 PM
He was good when they had "the suits" but no suit will save his butt now.

Yeah, it was all about the suits with Phelps. He's a real hack. :rolleyes:

I think Phelps wins the 100 fly.

Allen Stark
August 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
He won't win.

Nobody is afraid of Phelps anymore and now that he has lost the 200 Cavic can stick a fork in him and send him home with TWO fly losses. He was good when they had "the suits" but no suit will save his butt now. He may get a few more medals (relay ect.) but the most important ones are the fly events since that is his trademark stroke. He already got "cavic'd" once come the 100 he will get "cavic'd" again.

2009 Worlds,Cavic had the faster suit.Heck ,2008 Cavic had the fullbody suit to Phelps Legskins.

Rob Copeland
August 1st, 2012, 12:18 PM
I think Phelps wins the 100 fly.And while some may have a man-crush on Čavić, with this field, I don’t see him making the podium. Phelps, Czerniak, Fujii or maybe even Dunford or McGill, but no Čavić.

With that said, it would be nice if Čavić did medal. He is a great swimmer and seems like a very nice person, who has had some tough Olympic 100 Fly’s. 2000 – DQ’ed. 2004 – in the semi’s, leading at the 50 then had a wardrobe malfunction off the wall and finished last. 2008 – well we all know that one.

dorothyrde
August 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hoping for hometown guy McGill!

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM
He's a real hack. :rolleyes:

You got that right. He's proving that with each and every race. Would have choked in the relay if his mates didn't give him such a huge lead.

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 12:34 PM
2009 Worlds,Cavic had the faster suit.Heck ,2008 Cavic had the fullbody suit to Phelps Legskins.

That was then and this is now.

lefty
August 1st, 2012, 12:47 PM
He won't win.

Only pertaining this to swimming: most ignorant comment ever posted on this forum.

1) He wasn't good with suits. More like the best in the history of the world by a long shot.
2) As was already pointed out he was undersuited many times and came out on top.
3) He may get a few more medals? He is an odds on favorite to win 3 more medals. There is no maybe about it.
4) What the heck does "cavic'd" even mean? Out touched? So you choose to assign a derogatory title to the guy who you predict will win the event. Smart.
5) No one any good was ever afraid of Phelps. To be very good at anything, you want to compete with the best. Don't confuse your fear of people who are faster than you with how real swimmers think...

If you want to "shock" someone with your bold pronouncements, go visit a triathlon forum.

thewookiee
August 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
He won't win.

While I am not a phelps fan, your post begs me to ask a question. How many Olympic medals have you won?

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 12:59 PM
Only pertaining this to swimming: most ignorant comment ever posted on this forum.

1) He wasn't good with suits. More like the best in the history of the world by a long shot.
2) As was already pointed out he was undersuited many times and came out on top.
3) He may get a few more medals? He is an odds on favorite to win 3 more medals. There is no maybe about it.
4) What the heck does "cavic'd" even mean? Out touched? So you choose to assign a derogatory title to the guy who you predict will win the event. Smart.
5) No one any good was ever afraid of Phelps. To be very good at anything, you want to compete with the best. Don't confuse your fear of people who are faster than you with how real swimmers think...

If you want to "shock" someone with your bold pronouncements, go visit a triathlon forum.

He loses the 200 IM and the 100 fly this olympics is a complete failure for him regardless. No need to get defensive just because of your love affair with Phelps and take it out on me I'm just stating facts. These other swimmers are simply not intimidated by him anymore and it's showing that's all like it or not. If it were not for that huge lead in the 4x200 relay Yannick Agnel would have caught up with him and beat his @ss and you know it.

Go smoke your bong.:blah:

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM
While I am not a phelps fan, your post begs me to ask a question. How many Olympic medals have you won?

2016 I'll have the same as Phelps.

Zero. :banana:

quicksilver
August 1st, 2012, 01:13 PM
Since both he and Lochte use Gilette razors (which are the best by the way), their skin has a definite advantage over the Europeans. I'll go out on a limb and say that Phelps gets a medal.

Ryan Lochte - Gillette "Mind Games" - YouTube

lefty
August 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM
He loses the 200 IM and the 100 fly this olympics is a complete failure for him regardless. No need to get defensive just because of your love affair with Phelps and take it out on me I'm just stating facts. These other swimmers are simply not intimidated by him anymore and it's showing that's all like it or not. If it were not for that huge lead in the 4x200 relay Yannick Agnel would have caught up with him and beat his @ss and you know it.

This is hilarious. Pretty please, say some more things that make you sound tough!

sickfish
August 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Since both he and Lochte use Gilette razors (which are the best by the way), their skin has a definite advantage over the Europeans. I'll go out on a limb and say that Phelps gets a medal.

I also use Gillette. When I shave on Saturday, I don't get five o'clock shadow until Tuesday. Now, if only I had the talent, and could put in the effort...

Rob Copeland
August 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
It looks like we are starting to veer a bit off course here. Please remember to “Keep it Civil” if you wish to keep posting privileges.

Ad hominem or personal attacks are not allowed under any circumstances. Do not post any messages that harrass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest. Debates are fine, but argue the point, not the person.

Do not post topics with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. Note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling; keep it civil, even if you're sure the other person is wrong.

knelson
August 1st, 2012, 01:24 PM
Don't feed the troll.

quicksilver
August 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM
. These other swimmers are simply not intimidated by him anymore and it's showing that's all like it or not.

If you look closely everyone still kind of flinches when he slaps his back before the horn beeps.

It would be neat if some people did it right back.

Couroboros
August 1st, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yeah, seriously, I'm surprised other swimmers still haven't come up with some kind of way to respond to Phelps' wingspan clap or whatever it's called.

Rob Copeland
August 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM
If you look closely everyone still kind of flinches when he slaps his back before the horn beeps.

It would be neat if some people did it right back.Speaking of slapping, did anyone else notice César Cielo’s chest slapping before the 100 Free?

ourswimmer
August 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM
Speaking of slapping, did anyone else notice César Cielo’s chest slapping before the 100 Free?

The woman announcer on the archived video (who I think must be Nicole Livingstone) commented rather dryly on how red his chest was.

Andrew45
August 1st, 2012, 02:32 PM

Ryan Lochte - Gillette "Mind Games" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O20LUWtT5vI)

So are you saying that Europeans are hairy? Next you will be saying that they smell bad to.

Bobinator
August 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, it was all about the suits with Phelps. He's a real hack. :rolleyes:

I think Phelps wins the 100 fly.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me too, at least I'll be cheering really loud for him!!!!!! :banana:

Indianaman79
August 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM
2016 I'll have the same as Phelps.

Zero. :banana:

i can't believe you are going to make me defend him - but - he did take over a year off and even with a medicore meet (i don't think this is bad for him - just not good) he is getting silver in the 200 fly. i'm not a big fan of the guy but he still has accomplishments that could stick around for decades if not longer.....

my prediction for the 100 fly is - bronze

Bobinator
August 1st, 2012, 02:40 PM

I think you've smoked your bong 1 too many times, your comments are insane.

chowsh
August 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah, seriously, I'm surprised other swimmers still haven't come up with some kind of way to respond to Phelps' wingspan clap or whatever it's called.

personally i call it the phelps phlap :D

rxleakem
August 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Felps gets phirst. :agree:

The medal pressure is off, and I believe he will reach a little farther and harder, especially with the meet the whole team is having. :applaud:

GregJS
August 1st, 2012, 11:16 PM
Felps gets phirst. :agree:

The medal pressure is off, and I believe he will reach a little farther and harder, especially with the meet the whole team is having. :applaud:

It would be phantastic to see him phinish phirst!:D

orca1946
August 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM
Phelps even said he was lazy to the finish - I don't think he will do that again!!!

Andrew45
August 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Phelps 51.72 Cavic 51.90 and Cavic said he was half asleep. lol Phelps swam fine but a far cry from his record. You all are making excuses for your pet michael phelps but remember Cavic had back surgery as well. I'm impressed with Cavic's time considering he can do even better.

Phelps doesn't want to go down in flames a second time in the fly that's obvious but he's lost a step.:bump:

Poor boy.

gobears
August 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Phelps 51.72 Cavic 51.90 and Cavic said he was half asleep. lol Phelps swam fine but a far cry from his record. You all are making excuses for your pet michael phelps but remember Cavic had back surgery as well. I'm impressed with Cavic's time considering he can do even better.

Phelps doesn't want to go down in flames a second time in the fly that's obvious but he's lost a step.:bump:

Poor boy.

Good grief. Hope your vitriol toward Phelps is making you happy. It's certainly not hurting him.

Andrew45
August 2nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Good grief. Hope your vitriol toward Phelps is making you happy. It's certainly not hurting him.

:bliss:

Andrew45
August 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
And while some may have a man-crush on Čavić, with this field, I don’t see him making the podium. Phelps, Czerniak, Fujii or maybe even Dunford or McGill, but no Čavić.

I'm glad we have such intelligent members here. Guess Cavic should just give up and go home then and forget about it since you don't see him being able to keep up.

Yep, 51.90 to 51.72 is a complete blowout.

:afraid:

Rob Copeland
August 2nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Le Clos had an impressive swim. And is a strong contender to get on the podium, like he did in the 200.

Heat 1
01 HEERSBRANDT Francois 52.22
02 WRIGHT Chris 52.11
03 DEIBLER Steffen 51.92
04 PHELPS Michael 51.72
05 CZERNIAK Konrad 51.85
06 ZHOU Jiawei 52.06
07 PULAI Bence 52.19
08 STARKE Benjamin 52.36
Heat 2
01 JUKIC Dinko 52.22
02 VERLINDEN Joeri 52.07
03 CAVIC Milorad 51.90
04 le CLOS Chad 51.54
05 KOROTYSHKIN Evgeny 51.84
06 McGILL Tyler 51.95
07 SKVORTSOV Nikolay 52.12
08 DUNFORD Jason 52.23

It will be interesting to see how much Phelps can recover after his 200 IM in the 30 minutes before the fly semi’s. Czerniak will definitely make him work hard.

Chris Stevenson
August 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I apologize for the off-topic post, but just in case anyone is interested (first time I've ever used this feature):

http://forums.usms.org/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=Dealing+with+Troublesome+Users&match=all&titlesonly=0

We return to our regularly scheduled program...

Fresnoid
August 2nd, 2012, 02:15 PM
I apologize for the off-topic post, but just in case anyone is interested (first time I've ever used this feature):

http://forums.usms.org/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=Dealing+with+Troublesome+Users&match=all&titlesonly=0

http://www.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/667.jpg

Andrew45
August 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Le Clos had an impressive swim. And is a strong contender to get on the podium, like he did in the 200.

Heat 1
01 HEERSBRANDT Francois 52.22
02 WRIGHT Chris 52.11
03 DEIBLER Steffen 51.92
04 PHELPS Michael 51.72
05 CZERNIAK Konrad 51.85
06 ZHOU Jiawei 52.06
07 PULAI Bence 52.19
08 STARKE Benjamin 52.36
Heat 2
01 JUKIC Dinko 52.22
02 VERLINDEN Joeri 52.07
03 CAVIC Milorad 51.90
04 le CLOS Chad 51.54
05 KOROTYSHKIN Evgeny 51.84
06 McGILL Tyler 51.95
07 SKVORTSOV Nikolay 52.12
08 DUNFORD Jason 52.23

It will be interesting to see how much Phelps can recover after his 200 IM in the 30 minutes before the fly semi’s. Czerniak will definitely make him work hard.

From what I heard Cavic had a decent lead on Phelps most of the way now he just needs to finish that last 50 because Phelps depends on that strong dolphin kick off the wall. I'm sure Cavic will be well rested and most likely can give it more gas since he was only qualifying.

Would love to see Cavic take this because he's a real class act overcoming surgery and wanting to quit swimming at one point. A good "drug free" http://img3.drugsforum.eu/smileys/joint.gif role model and inspiring.

Go Cavic!!!!:bow:

gobears
August 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM

That was useful! Thank you!

aquajock
August 2nd, 2012, 07:37 PM

Yes, thank you! This discussion makes me sick. Like so many people on this forum could have done so much better. All these Olympians are amazing swimmers - let's show them the respect they deserve!

Frank Thompson
August 2nd, 2012, 07:45 PM
From what I heard Cavic had a decent lead on Phelps most of the way now he just needs to finish that last 50 because Phelps depends on that strong dolphin kick off the wall. I'm sure Cavic will be well rested and most likely can give it more gas since he was only qualifying.

Would love to see Cavic take this because he's a real class act overcoming surgery and wanting to quit swimming at one point. A good "drug free" http://img3.drugsforum.eu/smileys/joint.gif role model and inspiring.

Go Cavic!!!!:bow:

I saw this race on TV today and Phelps did not do a finish like Cavic did in 2008 and he did yesterday and Cavic was Cavic and did exactly what he did in 2008. In fact, Hicks and Gaines were saying it looked like a replay of 2008 and it did. Phelps learned his lesson from yesterday and it remains to be seen if Cavic has learned his lesson at all. Phelps has beaten this guy in two big races (2008 Olympics and 2009 Worlds) and he can make it three in a row. Phelps had won 5 races like this and lost one yesterday. He beat Crocker 3 times and Cavic twice because both swimmers have had bad finishes and lost by hundreths.

We seem to be ignoring both Russian swimmers and as I recall one of them broke Ian Crocker's impressive 100 Fly SCM World Record from 2004. I know the guy wore a tech suit but still it was an impressive swim. I wonder if one of those guys will do anything? I remember Andriy Serdinov and he was always in the race until the end but always came up short to both Phelps and Crocker long ago

Andrew45
August 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Analyzing a qualifying race is pointless since Cavic knew he would already probably qualify near the end of the 100. And if Cavic learned anything or not why let your opponent know that before finals? Never show your hand and keep them guessing.

Stop talking about past races bewteen Phelps and Cavic since none of that matters and all that matters is now. More than likely Cavic was just seeing what Phelps had and was not going 100%. We will see.

Tell you this though, Phelps loses the 200IM this olympics will be a disaster for him with only his buddies bailing him out with the relays. Tyler Clary said Phelps does not put in the training like others and by watching this olympics it's probably true though Clary should not talk. Even if Cavic does not win this event I gamble he will medal..he just too good.

scyfreestyler
August 2nd, 2012, 10:40 PM
:bolt:

Andrew45
August 3rd, 2012, 02:22 AM
Yeah, Phelps won the 200 with a tired Lochte.

Will we ever have really known? Great Job Clary the guy deserves it!

jaadams1
August 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM

Dude, you've really got it in for Phelps. Why? Did he do something to you in a childhood prank or something that you can't let go of or what?

He's swimming just fine, along with the rest of the U.S. team. Every one of those individuals can beat you and I, and everyone else sitting at home. Please stop with your ongoing garbage about Phelps every other post and enjoy the Olympics.

gobears
August 3rd, 2012, 09:26 AM

Going to bump this. It's come in quite handy!

thewookiee
August 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM

That's not phelps problem. Lochte knew what he was getting into when he did this double 4 years ago and this year. Phelps won the race fair and square. He couldn't control what lochte did or didn't do before the 200 im.

Fresnoid
August 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM

So what did the similarly tired Phelps do in the 100 Fly semi?

Rob Copeland
August 3rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Historically, Phelps drops 0.3 to 0.4 from semi’s to finals. I don’t’ see anyone besides Phelps going under 50.5. It should be a great race for silver and bronze from Le Clos, McGill and Cavic.:bliss:

quicksilver
August 3rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Going to bump this. It's come in quite handy!

Thank you. The quotes still show but this much better. How are age groupers allowed to join the forum anyway?

Chris Stevenson
August 3rd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Thank you. The quotes still show but this much better.

Yeah, that's a minor problem. Trolls don't want to debate anything, they just want to push people's buttons. Starve 'em out, I say!

Rob Copeland
August 3rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
:whiteflag:Can we please get back on topic? I’d love to keep this thread open at least until the race is swum. T minus 1:20 and counting.

That Guy
August 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
:whiteflag:Can we please get back on topic? Yes, on the sole condition that you put your jammer back on.

Bobinator
August 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
What time is the race?

Rob Copeland
August 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
on the sole condition that you put your jammer back on. I’ll put my Borat suit away for the duration of the Olympics.

What time is the race? Scheduled for 2:38 EDT

That Guy
What time is the race?

http://www.london2012.com/swimming/schedule-and-results/day=3-august/all-day.html

Fresnoid
What time is the race?

11:38 Pacific

http://www.london2012.com/swimming/schedule-and-results/day=3-august/all-day.html

thewookiee
August 3rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
I’ll put my Borat suit away for the duration of the Olympics.

Scheduled for 2:38 EDT

How about a full body suit instead? :angel:

gobears
August 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Do I need to say: SPOILER ALERT!!!

Phelps!!! :applaud:

Cavic 4th...

That Guy
August 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
wow. slow final. surprising that Cavic didn't make podium. :dunno:

P.S. Peter Parker is Spider-Man.

androvski
August 3rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
Guess we won't be seeing Andrew45 for a while.

Great race. Was surprised that nobody went under 51 though. Especially Phelps, since he had already done it in the semis. I was already expecting Cavic not to make the podium, he had a lot of issues with his lower back and even had to get surgery. For him to come back and get 4th is still very impressive.

Frank Thompson
August 3rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Analyzing a qualifying race is pointless since Cavic knew he would already probably qualify near the end of the 100. And if Cavic learned anything or not why let your opponent know that before finals? Never show your hand and keep them guessing.

Stop talking about past races bewteen Phelps and Cavic since none of that matters and all that matters is now. More than likely Cavic was just seeing what Phelps had and was not going 100%. We will see.

Tell you this though, Phelps loses the 200IM this olympics will be a disaster for him with only his buddies bailing him out with the relays. Tyler Clary said Phelps does not put in the training like others and by watching this olympics it's probably true though Clary should not talk. Even if Cavic does not win this event I gamble he will medal..he just too good.

Cavic didn't make the podium and was first at the 50. Deja va all over again.

scyfreestyler
August 3rd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Milorad who? :chug:

rxleakem
August 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Phantastic! :cheerleader:

quicksilver
August 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Phew said Phelps. The 100 phly phinal is phinished.

Mama must be happy.

orca1946
August 3rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
He was 7th at the turn & still knows how to bust out of the turn with more speed than he went in to it ---- and --- OH YEAH win GOLD !!!!!!:applaud:

ElaineK
August 5th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Phew said Phelps. The 100 phly phinal is phinished.

Mama must be happy.

:D Phelps had a phabulous Olympics, after all! :applaud: