PDA

View Full Version : Olympics and TV - *Honked off rant*

Indianaman79
August 1st, 2012, 12:18 PM
I have been watching the Olympics on TV, like most of you (NBC). It took up to last night of watching, to figure out how annoyed i was at NBC. It seemed like every 5 minutes of coverage was broken up with about 7 minutes of commercials. I specifically remember watching the womens gynmastics and they would cover 2 routines then go to SUPER LONG commercial break. They would come back and play this little side story about how this person overcame the odds when they were a kid, then go to commercial break again (long). after coming back, they would cover one routine then say "stay tuned, when we come back, its michael phelps in the 200 fly". ok - so i watch another LONG commercial break (they are all starting to look the same now). when they return, its another gynmastics routine, then - "next, michael phelps". Why are they lying about what they show next?:argue:

WHY THE HELL ARE THERE SO MANY COMMERCIAL BREAKS ON A TAPE DELAYED EVENT??? its rhetorical - because i know its their revenue.:bitching:

havepoolwillswim
August 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM
DVR

Indianaman79
August 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM
DVR

our cable package doesn't have that option - plus there is nothing else on at the time to watch, complied with the fact that all media sources the next day (tv and radio around here) spoil the outcome if you weren't watching the previous night.

Edward The Head
August 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM
I've been hating it too. The worst though is that NBC Nightly News spoils the damn races. The past three nights I've had to turn it off right as Williams says something. Once I got spoiled before he even said it was a spoiler. I love the excuse they used, 'Other news agencies have shown the results so so are we'. Thanks, I avoided everything all day just to make sure.

I'm so glad that I do have a DVR so I can fast forward through all that junk.

notsofast
August 1st, 2012, 01:56 PM
You could try to watch the livestream at nbcolympics.com. You have to have cable and register through your cable log-in. You can also sign up for an email service to alert you when your favorite events are coming up.
I've found the feed pretty balky, but you get British announcers, who focus on all the key swimmers, instead of setting it up as US vs. the World (and Who Cares About the World.)

Allen Stark
August 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM
I have cable,but my provider is not on the NBC list so I can't stream.The pluses for NBC are that Rowdy is doing a good job(I have been critical of him in the past) and they are showing more underwater views. The minuses,everything else.

Bobinator
August 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM
Okay, I'll rant! My stupid ATT U-Verse went out Tuesday morning so I have no television, computer, or land line. They have been out 4 times to fix it and they just can't figure it out. Last night I ended up going to a local tavern to watch the telecast. I didn't want to drink so I ordered every appetizer on the menu one at a time and drank water. I even had their delicious raspberry romanoff dessert! We ended up sitting there for 4 hours. I gave the waitress a great tip. I think she thought I was crazy.
If it doesn't get fixed by tonight I'm driving over to my daughter's condo and probably just going to stay the night.
The Olympics are the ONE thing I love to watch on tv and they only come every 4 years, I'm bummed and likely to change tv/media providers!

arthur
August 1st, 2012, 02:37 PM
Thankfully in Canada CTV has shown the swimming pretty much live. What is annoying about their website though is I was watching the finals yesterday about 1 hour delayed and they have this large "live tweet" box right next to the video feed where they were tweeting results of the races I was about to watch.

The online streaming world feeds without commentary are pretty cool. When I volunteered for the Olympics in 2010 we had a TV in my volunteer area with all the raw feeds plus all the Canadian and US broadcasters feeds.

Indianaman79
August 1st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Okay, I'll rant! My stupid ATT U-Verse went out Tuesday morning so I have no television, computer, or land line. They have been out 4 times to fix it and they just can't figure it out. Last night I ended up going to a local tavern to watch the telecast. I didn't want to drink so I ordered every appetizer on the menu one at a time and drank water. I even had their delicious raspberry romanoff dessert! We ended up sitting there for 4 hours. I gave the waitress a great tip. I think she thought I was crazy.
If it doesn't get fixed by tonight I'm driving over to my daughter's condo and probably just going to stay the night.
The Olympics are the ONE thing I love to watch on tv and they only come every 4 years, I'm bummed and likely to change tv/media providers!

you are saving yourself a lot of time by not watching the commercials

ourswimmer
August 1st, 2012, 02:47 PM
you get British announcers, who focus on all the key swimmers

They sound Australian to me. Sometimes their mikes also pick up nearby announcers calling the action in Spanish.

SwimStud
August 1st, 2012, 03:11 PM
They sound Australian to me. Sometimes their mikes also pick up nearby announcers calling the action in Spanish.

They're Aussies.

fmracing
August 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM

Why don't you just get an antenna? Are you out in the sticks or somethin that NBC doesn't broadcast there? My 2x4 and coat hangar antenna works pefectly for picking up the olympics 20 miles out of the nearest city :)

knelson
August 1st, 2012, 03:23 PM
Thankfully in Canada CTV has shown the swimming pretty much live.

I felt pretty smug back when CBC had the coverage since I get CBUT on my cable. Now that CTV has it I'm stuck with watching NBC.

Bobinator
August 1st, 2012, 09:14 PM
Why don't you just get an antenna? Are you out in the sticks or somethin that NBC doesn't broadcast there? My 2x4 and coat hangar antenna works pefectly for picking up the olympics 20 miles out of the nearest city :)

My neighborhood doesn't allow antennas. My U-verse tv and computer is finally working however the phones are still on the blink.
I'm dropping AT&T after the Olympics! It's fine as long as there's no problem but they don't know how to fix problems.

orca1946
August 1st, 2012, 11:30 PM
Ask for last month's fee back also !!!

pwb
August 2nd, 2012, 12:03 AM
Thankfully in Canada CTV has shown the swimming pretty much live. I've been so happy to be in Canada on vacation. I turn CTV on @ 12:30pm (Alberta time) and watch the swimming live, in-full and with a global (only slightly Canadian-centric) coverage. I don't know why NBC can't show the swimming live on TV, especially if they're going to ruin the results on other broadcasts.

GregJS
August 2nd, 2012, 12:22 AM
For those of us with no cable/tv - and therefore no access to NBC's live stream: why-oh-why is NBC treating their video footage like it is some highly precious substance that is in danger of disappearing forever if they let people watch it even AFTER the rest of the world has seen it either on live feed or on prime time? Can't they let us poor schlocks with no other access get a look at it even the next day? Would they really lose so much revenue making it available on their web site later on? But unless I'm missing some hidden treasure-trove of videos on the NBC website or somewhere else on the web (and please tell me if I am, even though I'll feel foolish about my rant), their scant selection of "highlight" videos is pathetically SUCK-EE.

Maybe in a few weeks or months when they feel they've squeezed every penny they'll make the videos available?

Love that Olympic $pirit of joining the world in celebration of human achievement and fellow$hip.

fmracing
August 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
My neighborhood doesn't allow antennas. My U-verse tv and computer is finally working however the phones are still on the blink.
I'm dropping AT&T after the Olympics! It's fine as long as there's no problem but they don't know how to fix problems.

I didn't say you needed to put it outside. All my home made redneck antennas are indoors right next to my tv. I only tout this antenna because it is free or nearly free for just about any homeowner, and why pay for antennas to get free tv ;) Of course reasonable proximity to a broadcast station is required.

knelson
August 2nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
Of course reasonable proximity to a broadcast station is required.

I think Bobinator lives in the Indy area so odds are she could get good reception from "rabbit ears." God knows there are no hills in Indiana to interfere with reception. :)

Edward The Head
August 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
My neighborhood doesn't allow antennas.

While people may not like it, the FCC has said that you must be allowed the ability to put up an antenna to receive over the air transmissions. That would trump any HOA rules.

Undeniable
August 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
What bugs me is how they back-load the schedule with all the swimming that people actually want to watch, trying to get more people to watch the stuff that hardly anyone is interested in. Costas is like 'tonight, the big show-down between Phleps & Lochte that we've been hyping all week, but first...THREE HOURS OF SYNCHRONIZED DIVING!!!!"

Again, revenue...

fmracing
August 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
That would trump any HOA rules.

Off topic, but that is awesome. I don't live under one, but I do look for legal ways to trump these unamerican rulesets and encourage them.

Back on topic.. my diy antenna is essentially a strangely shaped set of rabbit ears that better picks up an HD signal.

Allen Stark
August 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
While I'm ranting,why show it from 8-12 instead of 7-11.Some people have to work the next day. Some people have children who would like to watch the Olympics and maybe be inspired,but about 10:00 become cranky and need to go to bed(Oh wait that's me who gets cranky at 10:00:bolt: .)

knelson
August 2nd, 2012, 06:33 PM
While I'm ranting,why show it from 8-12 instead of 7-11.Some people have to work the next day.

I'm with you on this! I'm getting tired (literally) of seeing the final event at past 11:00.

selkie
August 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM
We're in the central time zone, so our prime time block has been 7-11 pm.

I've got Directv, so in theory I get the goodies on NBC's web site. But they decided they just were only going to show the finals swims today- no semifinal coverage, no podiums or post-awards walk of glory. (I've been loving those walks because in the great swimmer's tradition of incompetence on dry land, only about half the US women seem to be able to successfully toss their flowers or hackey sacks into the stands without whiffing it.) I'm willing to play by the rules if I can get the media content I want, but I ended up giving up and going to a Eurosport feed just in time for a replay of the 50M free with call by heavy Scottish accent guy.

jaadams1
August 2nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I'm with you on this! I'm getting tired (literally) of seeing the final event at past 11:00.

Me too!! I'm not able to watch the "live" versions online, as I have a JOB, and have to do work for a living. It must be nice to be able to sit down at work, and open a browser for hours upon hours and watch Olympics as they happen.
Meanwhile I'm waiting for the gymnastics/diving/whatever NBC decides to air later at night, and usually fall asleep out of the boredom before the swimming even gets started! :bitching: Last night I missed most of the swimming (only saw the 200 Breast), and then woke up in the chair of the living room at 2:00am!!

Peter Cruise
August 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM
Today was the first day I could watch finals live (really) on CTV...imagine that! This was at 1130am Pacific time and I flipped over to NBC momentarily where they pretended swimming wasn't happening- what a disgrace.

ourswimmer
August 3rd, 2012, 12:56 AM
While I'm ranting,why show it from 8-12 instead of 7-11.Some people have to work the next day.

It made some sense--not sense that I entirely approve of, but sense that I at least appreciate--when the best viewing real estate was occupied by awesome women athletes jumping around in bikinis. But in London they still are opening with "beach" volleyball even though the athletes are dressed like cross-country skiers.

What just adds insult to injury is that my co-workers want to talk to me about the swimming races that they saw. But I haven't seen them, because I fell asleep at night so that I could go swimming in the morning!

Rykno
August 3rd, 2012, 02:39 AM
one of the benefits of living in sweden. the govt back channels are commercial free!

I get to watch the Olympics from 10am until 2am they only break from live action to show highlights from swedes earlier in the day. It's being shown on 3 channels and websending too. according to them over 600hrs on tv and over 1000 hrs online.

On one day I had different events on the TV, laptop and my phone ;)

knelson
August 3rd, 2012, 02:47 AM
I get to watch the Olympics from 10am until 2am they only break from live action to show highlights from swedes earlier in the day. It's being shown on 3 channels and websending too. according to them over 600hrs on tv and over 1000 hrs online.

Mycket bra!

Bob Costas announced tonight that NBC will be kicking off their primetime coverage tomorrow with a segment on the 1996 U.S. women's gymnastics team that won the gold. Are you kidding me? Great achievement and all, but we really need to see this instead of actual events from London?

swimshark
August 3rd, 2012, 06:05 AM
The local NBC station has been good about not spoiling so last night I flip over to see what they are saying and instead NBC Nightly News is on. The proceed to tell who won during the day in events they hadn't shown on tv yet (swimming and gymnastics). Then they tell us if we don't want to be spoiled by the medal count to look away. What?! How about being spoiled by the results already!

Allen Stark
August 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Last night I got home at 8:30 and asked what events I had missed.The answer
"none."

trout
August 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
One solution is to use a proxy server such as "Cover my Ass" to make it appear as if you are accessing the internet from another country. Then you can view the BBC coverage live or at any time you feel like watching it. You can watch their evening specials, or just the swimming (commercial free), or any event at any time after it has occurred.

I'm enjoying being an honorary citizen of Great Britain during the olympics. Wonder if this trick would work for universal health care?