PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How much of the distance swims will NBC televise?

smontanaro
August 1st, 2012, 01:37 PM
How much of the women's 800 and men's 1500 do you think NBC will televise? Treat values as per cent of the winner's total time.

Edit: Wish I was better at proofreading... :-( s/les/less/

knelson
August 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM
I bet the segment on Katie Ledecky's back story is longer than the actual coverage of her event.

notsofast
August 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM
Answer depends on result.
If American wins, 40%+
If American medals, 20%-40%
If American does not medal or win, we'll see beach volleyball.

quicksilver
August 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM
Since most non-swimming viewers will become easily bored, They'll take a break at the 400, throw in some fencing, rowing, a stupid beer commercial and then return after the 1,000-1,200 mark.

Rowdy will then conveniently get us caught up on the splits and the world record line. At the end of the day they'll broadcast 5 minutes at best of the overall event.

I agree with Kirk though, the back story on Ledecky will override any of the actual swimming.

orca1946
August 1st, 2012, 11:34 PM
Agreed - more time if we are in the top swimmers. Let's hope so .

Bobinator
August 2nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
What about the open-water 10K? It will probably be on during the afternoon when everyone's at work.

jaadams1
August 2nd, 2012, 11:35 PM
What about the open-water 10K? It will probably be on during the afternoon when everyone's at work.

Isn't that when they've had all the live swimming as well? :bitching:

orca1946
August 2nd, 2012, 11:37 PM
Let's all call in sick:bed::cane: to watch !

tjrpatt
August 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
Watch the 1500 live online and watch the replay later. they are probably going to show keebles and bits of it.

They will only show the start and finish of the 10K. Again, watch it online. NBC doesn't get how interesting these races are. It was fascinating to watch the 800 without any interpretations or useless Andrea Kramer interview in the split screen.

aztimm
August 3rd, 2012, 10:39 PM

Women is Thursday, Men on Friday:
http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Olympic_10K_Marathon_Swim

I swam in the Serpentine (where the o/w swim will take place) during my last trip to London, blogged about it here (http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=22815), including a picture.

I don't get all this griping about NBC's coverage. Just get a UK VPN and the BBC coverage is incredible! :)

orca1946
August 3rd, 2012, 11:31 PM
They ran most of the 10K running event.

Fresnoid
August 4th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I was surprised. They only skipped 2 minutes of the 800, from 2:54 until just before the 500 turn.

No back story feature at all on Ledecky.

tjrpatt
August 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I was surprised. They only skipped 2 minutes of the 800, from 2:54 until just before the 500 turn.

No back story feature at all on Ledecky.

They probably didn't expect her to win. I did see the back story on Cielo. They only do back story on people who might win.

Frank Thompson
August 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I knew this was going to happen because they did not go to commercial break after interviewing Phelps and went right to the event without really having the introductions. So we did no see the 200 finish and came back at the finish of the 500 and that is a shame because some of the best parts of the race where there. It was mentioned on Australian site that she was only a couple of tenths away from the 4:03.85 400 Free of Janet Evans and that this portion of the swim was faster than her 400 Free swim in the individual event.

I cannot understand why they don't think people out in TV land will get bored and not pay attention to the entire swim race. They never do this with the 3000 Meters in track and that is almost the equivalent in time of this race.

NBC just had to show a little under 3 minutes to show the complete race and they felt commercials, stories and interviews are more important than the event itself. I really thought they would show the entire race because of a threat to the World Record.

pwb
August 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Anyone have a link to an online replay of the women's 800 final? I missed it.

knelson
August 4th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I was just happy Ledecky had the lead going into the commercial break and still led when they returned. What a swim!

vndad
August 4th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Well, NBC initially showed women's 50 free. After track and field and beach volleyball, it showed women's 4x100 medley relay. I guess men's 1500 free won't be shown at all as it was supposed to be the event between these two. Luckily I watched it live online this afternoon.

vndad
August 4th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Guess I was wrong. It's on!

orca1946
August 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM
They show a lot of the 1500. Sun Yang dove at the "stand up" command, prob due to language diff. He broke the world record by more than 3 sec. This is with the coaching of the Aussie coach.

smontanaro
August 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
They never do this with the 3000 Meters in track and that is almost the equivalent in time of this race.

Call it the "NASCAR effect". The 3000 is the steeplechase. With all the obstacles there's always the possibility of someone "crashing" in a spectacular way.

Glad to hear they broadcast most of the 800. (I was out of antenna range at the time.)

Fresnoid
August 6th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Anyone have a link to an online replay of the women's 800 final? I missed it.

You can access the replay of that entire session here: http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/event/women-800m-freestyle/index.html