PDA

View Full Version : Lean Swimmers: What do you Eat on Race Day?

aquajock
August 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Since I have low body fat for a woman and am not naturally buoyant, I can't eat much on race day or it sinks my body position enough to hurt my swims. Some of my best swims have happened on days where my stomach's been upset and my GI tract fairly empty. Lately, the sugary gels, sports drinks and smoothies I've consumed in the past are making me shaky. I'd love to hear some nutritional suggestions for race day. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts. :)

__steve__
August 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Eat garbanzo beans for added buoyancy

aquajock
August 2nd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Eat garbanzo beans for added buoyancy

and propulsion!

__steve__
August 2nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Propulsion - yes, but as funny as it sounds, I seriously do eat those beans for added lift they provide in my lower abdomen. I can use all the help I can get

Fresnoid
August 2nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
and propulsion!

Not gonna work unless the swimsuit has an opening such as the Finesse de Breeze from the uniforms in a particular legendary sport.

aquajock
August 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Propulsion - yes, but as funny as it sounds, I seriously do eat those beans for added lift. I can use all the help I can get

Oh, sorry, a lot of people post silly comments and I didn't realize you were serious.:) How much do you eat and how long before the race?? They don't bloat you up at all?

__steve__
August 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
The night before. Starts are a little problematic though.

Hours prior, I try to get a large hotel breakfast down (waffles, mellon, eggs, sausage, etc). I will eat protein supplement and a bagel during while washing it down with diet coke during.

aquajock
August 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
The night before. Starts are a little problematic though.

Hours prior, I try to get a large hotel breakfast down (waffles, mellon, eggs, sausage, etc). I will eat protein supplement and a bagel during while washing it down with diet coke during.

This eating plan would land me in the hospital...Diet Coke? Blech...

Bobinator
August 2nd, 2012, 09:55 PM
I like to eat a half of a plain bagel before the mile. After that I eat plain pasta noodles in a zip-loc, sometimes a power bar, and a banana if it sounds good. Gels, gatorade, or anything sweet gives me the jitters.

aquajock
August 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
I like to eat a half of a plain bagel before the mile. After that I eat plain pasta noodles in a zip-loc, sometimes a power bar, and a banana if it sounds good. Gels, gatorade, or anything sweet gives me the jitters.

Thanks, Bobinator. Well it's good to know it's not just me. I don't seem to be able to handle much sugar at all, especially in an indoor pool (in the heat, I seem to burn more sugars so I don't have that as much). I feel terrible in the water when I get shaky. I thought about buying the sugar free Gatorade today, but worry the chemicals might upset my stomach. In general, preservatives don't agree with me. I noticed all the energy bars have 13-30 g of sugar...I think tomorrow I'm going for a Strawberry-Banana Odwalla smoothie, water, plain Cheerios, pretzels and bananas. The pasta noodles might be worth a try, too. I ate some almost plain pasta in Puerto Rico Nats and had a good meet.