PDA

View Full Version : Women's 800

2fish&1whale
August 4th, 2012, 12:24 PM
So in fairness to the Chinese 400IM winner-how do you explain Ledecky's win?I thought for sure-as did the announcers-that she was going to burn out by the 300,400,at the very least the 500 mark.
I'd love to see her splits compared to Adlington/Friis/Garcia.

knelson
August 4th, 2012, 12:34 PM
The first 200 it looked like she was sprinting. I don't know how you can maintain that kind of pace for 800 meters. Truly remarkable!

SwimStud
August 4th, 2012, 01:00 PM
As a Brit in the US I'd have love to have seen Adlington repeat and in part b/c of the moronic abuse about her looks she endured just days after winning in Beijing, which has endured via twitter. Gold didn't happen but she fought for her Bronze and reached the podium. GB should be proud of her as the most decorate Female GB swimmer. I hope she doesn't quit like she has suggested, if swimmers compete at mid 30s to 40 then Adlington can at 27. Unfortunately to a moronic but audible segment of society being excellent at your talent is not enough, you have to be beautiful with it.

However, Ledecky's swim was absolutely outstanding; something out of the blue and refreshing; it was more of a wow than MP's inevitable haul of bling.

It is not in comparison to Ye's swims as Ledecky's final splits were not faster than a comparative male's. To suggest that it is somehow questionable because she out ran the field is wrong.

As it is also wrong to have a high ranking US ASCA official cast aspersions about other nations athletes without any proof. Think what you like, but keep it to yourself until you see evidence...at least if you're that significant in your governing body.

I feel I'm seeing too much controversy in these games with judges and officials and teams launching appeals, to have results overturned or attempt to on technicalities. It's beginning to look like the cynical professional leagues around the globe, where it's about money and greed and refusal to accept that in sport human error is inevitable.

Rough as it is for an individual or small team, over the course of the games the calls tend to even out...use it as fuel and motivation...and remember that is is after all only a game.

havepoolwillswim
August 4th, 2012, 01:51 PM
As a Brit in the US I'd have love to have seen Adlington repeat and in part b/c of the moronic abuse about her looks she endured just days after winning in Beijing via twitter, which has endured. Gold didn't happen but she fought for her Bronze and reached the podium. GB should be proud of her as the most decorate Female GB swimmer. I hope she doesn't quit like she has suggested, if swimmers compete at mid 30s to 40 then Adlington can at 27. Unfortunately to a moronic but audible segment of society being excellent at your talent is not enough, you have to be beautiful with it.

However, Ledecky's swim was absolutely outstanding something out of the blue and refreshing it was more of a wow that MP's inevitable haul of bling.

It is not in comparison to Ye's swims as Ledecky's final splits were not faster than a comparative male's. To suggest that it is somehow questionable because she out ran the field is wrong.

As it is also wrong to have a high ranking US ASCA official cast aspersions about other nations athletes without any proof. Think what you like, but keep it to yourself until you see evidence...at least if you're that significant in your governing body.

I feel I'm seeing too much controversy in these games with judges and officials and teams launching appeals, to have results overturned or attempt to on technicalities. It's beginning to look like the cynical professional leagues around the globe, where it's about money and greed and refusal to accept that in sport human error is inevitable.

Rough as it is for an individual or small team, over the course of the games the calls tend to even out...use it as fuel and motivation...and remember that is is after all only a game.

Well said.

pwolf66
August 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM
As a Brit in the US I'd have love to have seen Adlington repeat and in part b/c of the moronic abuse about her looks she endured just days after winning in Beijing via twitter, which has endured. Gold didn't happen but she fought for her Bronze and reached the podium. GB should be proud of her as the most decorate Female GB swimmer. I hope she doesn't quit like she has suggested, if swimmers compete at mid 30s to 40 then Adlington can at 27. Unfortunately to a moronic but audible segment of society being excellent at your talent is not enough, you have to be beautiful with it.

However, Ledecky's swim was absolutely outstanding something out of the blue and refreshing it was more of a wow that MP's inevitable haul of bling.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

2fish&1whale
August 4th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I agree about the jumping to conclusions-however I did start my post with "in fairness"-I am defending Ye.If people question or excuse one teenage swimmers out of nowhere performance then all of them become suspect...and that is a slippery slope.Ye is the reigning world champion in the 400IM-whereas the Olympics are Ledecky's 1st international swimming competition.So why does Ye get so much scrutiny?

And regarding Adlingtons looks-that is just a plain nasty and mean spirited thing to say and do.I thought she showed 1st class sportsmanship by embracing and congratulating Ledecky.

knelson
August 4th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Ye is the reigning world champion in the 400IM-whereas the Olympics are Ledecky's 1st international swimming competition.

She is? I looked up the results of Worlds and Ye was 5th.
http://omegatiming.com/File/Download?id=00010B0D006D000000FFFFFFFFFFFF01

pwolf66
August 4th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I agree about the jumping to conclusions-however I did start my post with "in fairness"-I am defending Ye.If people question or excuse one teenage swimmers out of nowhere performance then all of them become suspect...and that is a slippery slope.Ye is the reigning world champion in the 400IM-whereas the Olympics are Ledecky's 1st international swimming competition.So why does Ye get so much scrutiny?

It's not the performance of Ye in comparison to other females that was being questioned, it was her performance at the end of what is THE most physically demanding pool event, the 400 IM compared to the men that raised the issue. She split a 100 free that was faster than three of the men's 400IM finalists, within .5 seconds of the remaining 3 and less than a second off the last 2.

For me, I'm in the 'innocent until proven guilty' camp but I do have concerns.

SwimStud
August 4th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I agree about the jumping to conclusions-however I did start my post with "in fairness"-I am defending Ye.

I definitely didn't intend to go after you with my post. I merely meant that I don't think the two situations are comparable, and that I'd explain Ledecky's as a phenomenal swim by a 15 year old girl...may that teen stubbornness of not listening to your coaches works once in a while hehehe...it just seemed like a good thread to chime in on.

I got that you were defending Ye by using Ledecky as something similar, and that we shouldn't vilify anyone b/c they win spectacularly. I should have written a better post to make that clear. :)

arthur
August 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM
She is? I looked up the results of Worlds and Ye was 5th.
http://omegatiming.com/File/Download?id=00010B0D006D000000FFFFFFFFFFFF01
I think she meant 200IM.

havepoolwillswim
August 4th, 2012, 09:28 PM
It's not the performance of Ye in comparison to other females that was being questioned, it was her performance at the end of what is THE most physically demanding pool event, the 400 IM compared to the men that raised the issue. She split a 100 free that was faster than three of the men's 400IM finalists, within .5 seconds of the remaining 3 and less than a second off the last 2.

For me, I'm in the 'innocent until proven guilty' camp but I do have concerns.

I totally agree with you. Here are the splits from the 400 IM

100/last 50
Shiwen Ye 58.6/28.9

Men 400 IM
Lochte 58.6/29.1
Pereira 59.7/29.3
Hagino 58.2/28.5
Phelps 58.3/28.4
Le Clos 59.1/29.2
Horihata 57.5/27.8
Fraser-Holmes 58.1/28.3
Marin 1:00.1/29.2

average 58.7/28.7

Women 400 IM
Beisel 1:02.3/30.8
Li 1:01.5/29.7
Hosszu 1:02.6/30.9
Miley 1:02.9/30.7
Rise 1:03.9/31.3
Leverenz 1:04.4/31.7
Belmonte 1:02.9/31.0

average 1:02.9/30.8 (excludes Ye)

Frank Thompson
August 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I think is should be pointed out that Ryan Lochte went the slowest 100 split in history in relation to other Olympic winners and in a % of the total 400 IM race.

His first 300 meters was the best in swimming history. He was 3:06.5 at the 300 mark and was .55 seconds ahead of the WR by Phelps and his split at the 300 mark was 3:07.15 and if he would have swam his 2008 race he would have ran down Lochte on the final 50. I remember seeing the line go away from Lochte on the last 50.

Phelps split a :56.79 in 2008 and I believe that is the fastest split ever compared to the 58.6 split by Lochte. Tamas Darnyi swam a 57.60 24 years ago at the 1992 Olympics for his last 100 split and he was 3:16.63 at the 300 mark and swam a time of 4:14.23 and that time is 9 seconds slower than what Lochte did.

Another example is Tom Dolan at the 1994 World Championships. He swam a 57.66 for his last 100 split and he was 3:14.86 at the 300 mark and swam at time of 4:12.30 and that is 7 seconds slower than what Lochte did.

I remembered Darnyi's swim because he would have out split half of the field in the 400 Free and this was talked about a lot back 20 years ago so this is not that unusual.

Lochte is by far the best 300 IM mark swimmer of all time and this includes tech suits. However, he did not get the WR because of that last 100.

In 1984, Alex Baumann swam a 58.28 on his last 100 of the 400 IM at the 1984 Olympics in a WR time of 4:17.53 and that is still faster than what Lochte did and that was 28 years ago.

The point in this is you can't compare splits because everyone swims this event differently. Because I was interested in this I found that almost half of the 100 free splits in the 400 IM at past World Championships and Olympic Games were faster than 58.6

gdanner
August 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM
In addition to what others have said, Ledecky's overall time wasn't insane. Janet Evans did an 8:16 in 1989, so you're talking about a mere two seconds over a couple decades. Janet was amazing, but it was only a matter of time.

orca1946
August 5th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Maybe the "drug czars" should go back in time & test Evans blood test :worms:???
NO --- do not let the psudo lawyers:blah: run ANY sport!!! :badday:

hnatkin
August 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I'm just very disappointed by the coverage of Ledecky's feet. It may not have been a World Record, but IMO at least, it was an even greater accomplishment than Franklin's WR in the 200 back. Breaking Janet Evans' 25 year old record was incredible. And no one's really talking about how significant that was. She truly got the short end of the stick on Friday.

knelson
August 5th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I'm just very disappointed by the coverage of Ledecky's feet.

OK, this deserves a :banana: :D

hnatkin
August 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
LOL - maybe there's a good story there, too!

Glenn
August 5th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Hey, leave Ledecky's feet alone.:bolt:

Her feat however, is another matter:D

swimshark
August 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM
As a Brit in the US I'd have love to have seen Adlington repeat and in part b/c of the moronic abuse about her looks she endured just days after winning in Beijing, which has endured via twitter. Gold didn't happen but she fought for her Bronze and reached the podium. GB should be proud of her as the most decorate Female GB swimmer. I hope she doesn't quit like she has suggested, if swimmers compete at mid 30s to 40 then Adlington can at 27. Unfortunately to a moronic but audible segment of society being excellent at your talent is not enough, you have to be beautiful with it.

However, Ledecky's swim was absolutely outstanding; something out of the blue and refreshing; it was more of a wow than MP's inevitable haul of bling.

Very well said Rich. I think so many have become armchair judges for these games. Until there is evidence, I would assume Ye is innocent but her swim does raise some eyebrows.

Although I have not met her, Katie is a team mate of mine and I am so proud of her and Yuri.

Allen Stark
August 5th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Hey, leave Ledecky's feet alone.:bolt:

Her feat however, is another matter:D
I think feet is right.They keep talking about Franklin's size 13 feet,Ledecky's feet deserve equal time.