PDA

View Full Version : No appetite after workout?

JMLswim
August 5th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Yesterday morning I completed my first swimming workout in 19 years. Go me! :applaud:

So then, I figured that after 75 minutes back & forth in the pool I would be starving, but as it turns out I had no appetite whatsoever even though I was exhausted. I made myself eat a small cup of yogurt shortly after I got home, but it was another 10 hours before I built up enough of an appetite to eat an actual meal.

Is this common? I drank a lot to rehydrate, so perhaps I filled up on water?

ReallyaRunner
August 7th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Congrats on your swim! I don't know if its common, but I'm never hungry after a big workout either. My appetite always decreases and I have to wait a few hours until I feel like eating. I try and force myself to eat something, like a banana or shake, for recover purposes. I've raced triathlons and not been able to eat until later that evening. I have no explanation, but its been going on for 15 years, so I'm not too concerned. I get really hungry the next day, though!

JMLswim
August 7th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Ok, it's not just me then. I didn't know if it was a good idea to force myself to eat or to wait until my appetite returned. I worked out again on Monday and it only took me 4 hours to regain my appetite this time, so that's improvement I guess!

joshua
August 7th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I swim first thing in the morning, before work. I sometimes may eat a slice of bread with something light on it about an hour before my session (the pool is near work, that's the time it takes me to drive there). After my 2000m.-2500m. w/o I am very hungry and have a big breakfast (juice, two eggs, cheese, salad, bread, coffee).
I believe that hunger after swimming is common as opposed to not feeling hungry after running.