PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Swimming Relays

joshua
August 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM
For years I have thought that mixed sex relays would be the ideal event to end a competition. Either 4x100 free or medley relay with 2 men and 2 women. Each team could organize the order as they see fit. I'm sure that it would quickly become an extremely popular event.

arthur
August 8th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Masters swimming does have mixed relays. They should be in the Olympics and world championships etc. I don't think the IOC wants to add anymore swimming events though.

Maui Mike
August 8th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Outrigger canoe racing is Hawaii's state sport, 6 paddlers in a 400 pound boat, and high schools offer it at a Varsity sport. The Mixed races at all levels :banana:are extremely popular. And I'm proud to announce that my daughter just steered her second consecutive win in the Mixed 40's crew at our State Championships last Saturday. --- 1/2 mile with a 180 degree turn in 3:51.

Allen Stark
August 8th, 2012, 12:37 PM
They had a mixed relay at "The Duel in the Pool" a few years ago.Libby Tricket broke the WR for the 100 free leading off,but FINA wouldn't recognize it since it wasn't part of a sanctioned event.They further justified it saying that since she swam against a man(Phelps) his wake may have given her an unfair advantage.It was really cool anyway.
Mixed Relays are one of my favorite parts of Masters meet.

joshua
August 8th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Masters swimming does have mixed relays. They should be in the Olympics and world championships etc. I don't think the IOC wants to add anymore swimming events though.

Yes, there is a general feeling in the IOC that there are too many events. However, I feel that this kind of relay would be so popular that the IOC would get behind it.

Frank Thompson
August 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM
They had a mixed relay at "The Duel in the Pool" a few years ago.Libby Tricket broke the WR for the 100 free leading off,but FINA wouldn't recognize it since it wasn't part of a sanctioned event.They further justified it saying that since she swam against a man(Phelps) his wake may have given her an unfair advantage.It was really cool anyway.
Mixed Relays are one of my favorite parts of Masters meet.

We had a discussion of what Allan's is referring to about the mixed relay when it happened 5 years ago.

Libby Lenton's 52.99 - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

knelson
August 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM
However, I feel that this kind of relay would be so popular that the IOC would get behind it.

I'm not really sure they would. The only sports I know of in the Olympics with a history of mixed-gender competition are equestrian and sailing, and I'm not even sure there's a mixed event in sailing in 2012. So I guess there is a precedent, but it seems to me the IOC isn't really that keen on mixed events. Olympic swimming is already wildly popular. They probably assume if it ain't broke don't fix it.