PDA

View Full Version : stop the madness.

FR.LLC
August 9th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I swim at a small YMCA that leaves two lanes open for lap swimmers the rest of the pool is recreational most of the time. Chaos reigns supreme, even in the lap lanes: kids cutting across the lane, Loud music being played by the aquasizers,, swim lessons in the lap lanes, cannon-baller splash contests, balls are thrown into the lane, swimmers that get in and swim straight down the middle or backwards, side-stroking noodlers, and my favorite non-lap swimmers HUGGING in the lap lanes!. :hug: Lately is is like a circus has taken over. I'm pretty big on etiquette, keeping things orderly and following the rules. (I even shower before entering the pool.) After swimming my 5k workout what happens, the lifeguard tells me someone asked if I was a paid-member or part of the masters group that swims for free. (I work at the YMCA part-time so I know that there are patrons that complain about the agreement the masters have with the YMCA.)

So, I feel like if I joined in on the chaos I'd fit right in. I'd would like to hear what people think creates this backwards atmosphere.

Rob Copeland
August 9th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I'd would like to hear what people think creates this backwards atmosphere.All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
- Edmund Burke

smontanaro
August 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
- Edmund Burke

True. Maybe the lifeguards are too insecure to exercise their authority (or don't care, or don't think it's part of their job). It is their job to maintain a safe environment for the pool patrons so nobody gets hurt. The occasional "time out" or word to parents would probably help a bit with kids dashing across the lanes and chucking balls, noodles and other toys in your general direction. A little instruction on swimming circles might help with the other occupants of your lane except for the lover's lane-line pair. Maybe the lifeguard could encourage them to "get a room".

None of this is your job, though perhaps you could gently suggest to the lifeguards or aquatics director that it's theirs.

KatieK
August 9th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Warning: Rant to follow. I think the YMCA as an organization is totally unsupportive of swimming. Some locations are better than others, but the bottom line is that the YMCA is not catering to serious swimmers. Or seven semi-serious swimmers. The lifeguard isn't doing anything about the chaos because his management doesn't see that as a priority.

Sojerz
August 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM
- Edmund Burke

Amen. How many times has history proven this to be the case!

I think the YMCA as an organization is totally unsupportive of swimming. Some locations are better than others, but the bottom line is that the YMCA is not catering to serious swimmers.

I've been a Y member primarily to swim for over 30 years and started swimming competitively at a Y more than 50 years ago. They seem to be slowly abandoning adult competitive swimming and emphasizing noodling, aerobics etc., (AG swim team is doing well and they to do a really good job teaching kids to swim), so ive seen most skilled adult swimmers slowly abandoning the Y for various reasons (can't get a lane, weird irregular hours for adult lap swimming, close early, water temp at 87, manatees in the fast lane, etc.).

The lifeguard isn't doing anything about the chaos because his management doesn't see that as a priority.

You and a few other swimmers (more is better) need to go to the pool manager, and if not satisfied, the Y manager, and then to their Board of Directors, if needed, and request/pressure them to straighten up the chaos and create specific times and laps for serious swimmers. And, train and empower the lifeguards to enforce the requirements - chaos in a pool is dangerous. The programs can co-exist with a little sacrifice, sharing and enlightened management remebering that all have legit purposes for going to a pool (fun, relaxation, aerobics, floating on a styroafoam tube, 5k workout, etc.).

quicksilver
August 9th, 2012, 11:55 AM
You and a few other swimmers (more is better) need to go to the pool manager, and if not satisfied, the Y manager, and then to their Board of Directors, if needed, and request/pressure them to straighten up the chaos and create specific times and laps for serious swimmers.

And, train and empower the lifeguards to enforce the requirements - chaos in a pool is dangerous. The programs can co-exist with a little sacrifice, sharing and enlightened management remembering that all have legit purposes for going to a pool (fun, relaxation, aerobics, floating on a styroafoam tube, 5k workout, etc.).

Agreed. Once you voice a concern over safety and if nothing improves, then moving on to a higher up in the organization is the next step.

In turn the director will be put under pressure to remedy the situation. All it takes is one bump on the noggin and someone can easily go under in all of the commotion. No YMCA wants any potential legal action because it's staff is being less than competent where safety is concerned.

- Edmund Burke Liked this.

Rob Copeland
August 9th, 2012, 12:19 PM
- Edmund BurkeThis was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek, but often it only takes a few folks to tip the balance one way or the other.

My real suggestion is to reach out to the USMS Club and Coach Services staff (Bill Brenner and Mel Goldstein). Both are experienced in dealing with aquatics programming and they surely have some insight in dealing with these issues and they may even be able to work with you possibly even helping to set up a more structured Masters program at the Y.

You can find their contact information at http://www.usms.org/content/coachresources

FR.LLC
August 9th, 2012, 03:06 PM
- Edmund Burke

Cool. How long does it take? Ha!

orca1946
August 9th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Mention law suit for injury & it will attract attention!!

Viva O Fear
August 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I swim at the y, luckily usually my own lane, sometimes I have to share. The worst is they keep it warm 82, for the jazziersize class.

sftom
August 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Warning: Rant to follow. I think the YMCA as an organization is totally unsupportive of swimming. Some locations are better than others, but the bottom line is that the YMCA is not catering to serious swimmers. Or seven semi-serious swimmers. The lifeguard isn't doing anything about the chaos because his management doesn't see that as a priority.

I agree. YMCA doesn't seem to care about serious swimmers who use their pools.

Bobinator
August 9th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I swim at a small YMCA that leaves two lanes open for lap swimmers the rest of the pool is recreational most of the time. Chaos reigns supreme, even in the lap lanes: kids cutting across the lane, Loud music being played by the aquasizers,, swim lessons in the lap lanes, cannon-baller splash contests, balls are thrown into the lane, swimmers that get in and swim straight down the middle or backwards, side-stroking noodlers, and my favorite non-lap swimmers HUGGING in the lap lanes!. :hug: Lately is is like a circus has taken over. I'm pretty big on etiquette, keeping things orderly and following the rules. (I even shower before entering the pool.) After swimming my 5k workout what happens, the lifeguard tells me someone asked if I was a paid-member or part of the masters group that swims for free. (I work at the YMCA part-time so I know that there are patrons that complain about the agreement the masters have with the YMCA.)

So, I feel like if I joined in on the chaos I'd fit right in. I'd would like to hear what people think creates this backwards atmosphere.

People are jealous because you have the will-power and self-control to actually do a 5K workout by yourself. Most people think 10-15 minutes of mindless laps = a good workout and you are making them look/feel bad about their efforts. The YMCA is NOT a good place for people who REALLY want a workout. Y's are good for family's or people just wanting a small nugget of physical activity.