PDA

View Full Version : First swim was this morning!

slow phil
August 10th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Hey everybody, I made an agreement with a friend of mine. She was looking for some motivation to step up to Ironman length triathlons. I was just looking for something to get me out of inactivity.

It's been decided, I am preparing for the Alcatraz Challenge next year(May). (And a seven day mountain bike stage race, because I need my effort to be similar to hers).

First swim was this morning. I went extremely slow, couldn't remember how to breathe quite right(haven't done much swimming since I was a kid), but it was nice! And it made my shoulders feel engaged!

To make a longish story short, I'm glad to be here. Second swim is tomorrow morning.

bassboneman
August 10th, 2012, 09:14 AM
That's great, Phil!

Welcome aboard!

TRYM_Swimmer
August 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM
All right, Phil!

no200fly
August 10th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Even the longest journey begins with the first step. I started swimming again about 9 years ago and I will tell you that I feel so much better than I did.

If you get a chance to find a group to swim with, I would encourage you to try it. Having an organized workout with people who expect you to be there makes it much easier to be consistent.

Good luck.

slow phil
August 10th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Swam again today. Got some goggles (wonderful) with a dark tint on them so I wasn't blinded (best thing ever).

This afternoon I went by the local tri shop and got the info on the relevant local groups. Going to be checking them out soon.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm glad to be here.

rxleakem
August 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM
:welcome: and :applaud:

Fins25
August 12th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Great work Phil. Good luck in achieving your goals

wwoelbel
August 12th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Hey Phil,

Welcome to the community! Swimming is both a royal pain and a blast at the same time - most things worth doing are. I'd definitely recommend trying a swim or two with a coached group. It was and still is very motivating for me. Welcome aboard and stick with it!

Bill

__steve__
August 12th, 2012, 06:23 PM
work on form first, because that's what swimming is. Use the mountain bike for conditioning
until the swimming is efficient