PDA

View Full Version : IOC Strongly Considering 50′s for 2016 Olympics

That Guy
August 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
http://swimswam.com/2012/08/reports-ioc-strongly-considering-50s-for-2016-olympics/

In celebration of this, the sprinters just did a victory dance for 20 seconds and then rested for 3 hours.

Fresnoid
August 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM
If 50's get added, it's only fair to add a men's 800 and and the women's 1500 without dropping the 800.

Allen Stark
August 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I think this would be a great idea,but please USA-S contest them at trials,don't be like at Worlds where you say"well you made the team and we need someone in the 50,how about it?"

fmracing
August 13th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I welcome the addition of 50's to the olympics... there is nothing wrong with "drag racing" :)

The Fortress
August 13th, 2012, 04:47 PM
If 50's get added, it's only fair to add a men's 800 and and the women's 1500 without dropping the 800.

Why? We already have the four 200s, the 400 IM, the 400 free, the two distance free events and the open water swims. Sprinters just have five events.

50s would be fantastic. And maybe the US wouldn't focus so much on mid-D and actually win a 400 free relay.

That Guy
August 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Why? We already have the four 200s, the 400 IM, the 400 free, the two distance free events and the open water swims. Sprinters just have five events.

50s would be fantastic. And maybe the US wouldn't focus so much on mid-D and actually win a 400 free relay.

I think it would be interesting to see 50's in the Olympics. All of a sudden the NCAA focus on shorter distances would become a strength rather than a source of complaining. And just think, if the 50 stroke events end up in NCAA's, we get to watch the traditionalists fall on their swords all over again! Everybody wins! :banana:

and actually there are five 200's :bolt:

knelson
August 14th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'm biased for sure, but I don't really find the 50 free to be that great of a spectator event at the Olympic level.

aquageek
August 14th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I'm biased for sure, but I don't really find the 50 free to be that great of a spectator event at the Olympic level.

I agree totally, especially long course. At least short course you have the added intrigue of the turns.

I think the 800 should be scrapped totally. It is basically an insult to women. And, the open water event should be done in an actual open body of water, not a city pond, next time. There are some unique skills required but not when the water is flat with no current, no waves and it's 8 feet deep.

I already think the Olympics is a bloated collection of meaningless sports. Adding more events doesn't seem to have any real reason.

poolraat
August 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I already think the Olympics is a bloated collection of meaningless sports. Adding more events doesn't seem to have any real reason.

You mean sports like ribbon twirling, dancing with a ball, jumping on a trampoline, and so on...?

chaos
August 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I think the 800 should be scrapped totally. It is basically an insult to women. And, the open water event should be done in an actual open body of water, not a city pond, next time. There are some unique skills required but not when the water is flat with no current, no waves and it's 8 feet deep.

+1

Spock
August 14th, 2012, 08:32 PM
This is a good decision, if they do it.

Chris Stevenson
August 14th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I am okay with it in principle; while I don't really enjoy watching 50s, it might allow swimmers like Missy Franklin more time to rest between the "real" events. :)

But I am not sure about this philosophy of "striking while the iron is hot." There are already those who complain about the overabundance of swimming events, and adding more might lead to overdose.

We already have the four 200s, the 400 IM, the 400 free, the two distance free events and the open water swims. Sprinters just have five events.

Distance swimmers only really have two true distance events: the 800/1500 and the 10K OW. The 400 is quasi-distance (it is still pretty anaerobic); the 200s are definitely not distance events.

The reason mid-D training is popular is that it covers the largest subset of swimming events, especially long course where the 100s are a little less sprint-like.

pwb
August 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I'm biased for sure, but I don't really find the 50 free to be that great of a spectator event at the Olympic level.+1

If 50's get added, it's only fair to add a men's 800 and and the women's 1500 without dropping the 800.+1

... and the 5K OW

lefty
August 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM
On the elite level, OWS is 99% pack swimming with a 100-200M sprint at the end. There is no difference between a 5K or 10K ows, other than the distance of the warmup before the sprint. So I see no reason to add that event. 3 of the top 4 would be the same in each event.

For the most part, the medal winners in the 100 are the same as the medal winners in the 200. But I do think that the podium in the 50's would be much different (to the respectice 100 counter part). You can see this in freestyle. Popov was the last one to win both. So from a competetion stand point, it is hard to argue that the 50 strokes are not unique events.

But all of this is too much of a good thing in my opinion. IF they add 50's, they should drop 100's. That won't happen.

quicksilver
August 15th, 2012, 12:23 PM
A 200 free relay would be interesting. So would a 200 medley relay.

If 50's become part of the meet venue then so should these.

Chris Stevenson
August 15th, 2012, 12:36 PM
For the most part, the medal winners in the 100 are the same as the medal winners in the 200.

In London:

Men free: 0 medal winners in common
Men back: 1 (Irie)
Men breast: 0
Men fly: 2 (Phelps and le Clos)
Women free: 0
Women back: 1 (Franklin)
Women breast: 2 (Soni and Suzuki)
Women fly: 0

That is a total of 6 in common out of a possible 24. So based solely on London I'd have to disagree with this statement.

I was curious so I checked the overlap between 200/400 free and IM:

Men free: 2 (Yang and Tae-Hwan)
Men IM: 1 (Lochte)
Women free: 2 (Schmitt and Muffat)
Women IM: 1 (Shiwen)

So 6 out of a possible 12. A smaller sample size but it is possible that in LCM the 200 and 400 have more in common than 100 & 200, which supports Fort's earlier claim that the 200 are more distance-friendly than sprint-friendly.

It would be interesting to check the data for 50/100 free in the Olympics since the 50 free was introduced, but that's too much work for me right now. My gut feeling (which certainly might be wrong) is that 50/100 are more similar than 100/200.

knelson
August 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I think lots of people outside the sport think swimming already has "too many" events. Do we really need to add more? I'd replace the women's 800 free with the 1500 and leave it at that.

Rob Copeland
August 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I think lots of people outside the sport think swimming already has "too many" events. Do we really need to add more? In London there were 302 medal events in 26 sports (39 disciplines). Aquatics (Swimming, Diving, Synchro, WP) were second only to Athletics (Track & Field) in medal events, 46 to 47. The next closest are cycling and gymnastics with 18 each. Swimming already has about 5 times more medal events than the average discipline.

aquageek
August 15th, 2012, 02:23 PM
In London there were 302 medal events in 26 sports (39 disciplines). Aquatics (Swimming, Diving, Synchro, WP) were second only to Athletics (Track & Field) in medal events, 46 to 47. The next closest are cycling and gymnastics with 18 each. Swimming already has about 5 times more medal events than the average discipline.

Why don't they just do a "Master's Special" and get split requests on all the 100 strokes finals and have that count for the 50's medals? Each 100 would be a 2-fer.

lefty
August 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM
In London:

Men free: 0 medal winners in common
Men back: 1 (Irie)
Men breast: 0
Men fly: 2 (Phelps and le Clos)
Women free: 0
Women back: 1 (Franklin)
Women breast: 2 (Soni and Suzuki)
Women fly: 0

That is a total of 6 in common out of a possible 24. So based solely on London I'd have to disagree with this statement.

FROM Beijing

Men Back: 2 (Piersol /Vardy tied for 3rd)
Men Breast: 2 (Kitajim / Dubousque)
Men Fly: 1 (Phelps)
Men Free: 0
W Back: 2 (Coventry Hoeltzer)
W Breast: 2 (Soni, Jones)
W Fly: 1 Shipper
W Free: 0

10 out of a possible 24. Again not that many. But if you look at it without the freestyle you have this: 10 out of 18 which is more than half. Not suprisingly, the freestyle lines are 50/100 and 200/400.

Muppet
August 18th, 2012, 03:56 PM
One way for the 50s to be included in the olympics is to have a non-medal exhibition day half-way into Track/Gymnastics week when the TV is boring anyway... contest the non-free 50s and do some mixed relays, no medals, all for the fans. If the crowds come, the swimmers have a great time and officials like it, maybe make it a real thing.

Muppet
August 18th, 2012, 03:59 PM
By the way, the best part of that article is the comments about open water, adding in a 5k time trial. that certainly takes away the pack swimming portion and is 100% individual effort and strategery.

-jeff

Charge
August 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I support this only if they also do the 200 relays

That Guy
August 22nd, 2012, 02:23 PM
One way for the 50s to be included in the olympics is to have a non-medal exhibition day half-way into Track/Gymnastics week when the TV is boring anyway... contest the non-free 50s and do some mixed relays, no medals, all for the fans. If the crowds come, the swimmers have a great time and officials like it, maybe make it a real thing.

European Championships are adding mixed relays in 2014.

http://swimswam.com/2012/04/len-makes-mixed-relays-official-for-european-championships/

Allen Stark
August 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
European Championships are adding mixed relays in 2014.

http://swimswam.com/2012/04/len-makes-mixed-relays-official-for-european-championships/
Woohoo :banana::banana::banana::banana: Actually,what would be really great would be if they let each team/country enter 2 relays in the MR,that way all the best stroke swimmers would get to swim and the "B" relay,which would have the best swimmers of their gender for each stroke,would be really motivated to knock off the "A" team.

orca1946
August 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM
If this opens the way for more relays ---- I'm all for it!