PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about latest Streamlines

smontanaro
August 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'm just getting around to looking at the August edition of Streamlines. I very quickly got to wondering about a couple things:

Site of USMS nationals in 2008. Right at the top it stated, "For the first time in USMS history, our Summer Nationals were held in the same Myrtha pool as the U.S. Swimming Trials." I thought the 2008 LCM nationals were held in Omaha right after the Trials as well. Were they not held in the Trials pool?
What makes Nebraska masters a "local club" and not a "regional club"? Like Illinois Masters, it seems by its name to cover an entire state.

Thx,

Skip

Chris Stevenson
August 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Site of USMS nationals in 2008. Right at the top it stated, "For the first time in USMS history, our Summer Nationals were held in the same Myrtha pool as the U.S. Swimming Trials." I thought the 2008 LCM nationals were held in Omaha right after the Trials as well. Were they not held in the Trials pool?
What makes Nebraska masters a "local club" and not a "regional club"? Like Illinois Masters, it seems by its name to cover an entire state.

Long course Nationals in 2008 were in Oregon, not Omaha.

The name has nothing to do with classification of a club as regional/local. Virginia Masters (VMST) is local, for example (and, btw, VMST only consists of about one-third of the LMSC membership, even though the name might lead one to believe that everyone in Virginia is a member).

Article 104.5.6B in the Rule Book defines a regional club as one that is "made up of those swimmers who represent a club at nationals, but at competitions within their LMSC, they compete for an entity or subgroup (such as a workout group) that is different then the one they compete with at nationals." Local clubs are basically every club that isn't a regional club.