PDA

View Full Version : Knuckle Paddles

Bill Sive
August 14th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Can someone please explain this to me. I think I might know what it is, but not entirely sure.

Thanks in advance.

smontanaro
August 14th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Got a picture? I'm thinking you might be referring to a fist drill or something similar. The goal there is to work on your "feel". You want to feel your forearm doing much of the propulsive work. You can also swim with tennis balls in each hand or close one or more fingers (again, reducing the effectiveness of your hand as a paddle). Maybe knuckle paddles are some device for facilitating a fist drill while at the same time separating you from a little bit of your money?

Bill Sive
August 14th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Sorry no picture.

Its part of a workout I downloaded:

1 X 300 on 4:00 Knuckle Paddles
1 X 50 on :50 Regular Paddles
1 X 200 on 3:00 Knuckle Paddles
2 X 25 on :45 Regular Paddles
1 X 100 on 2:00 Knuckle Paddles
4 X 15 on :45 Regular Paddles

smontanaro
August 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hmmm... I think you're going to have to go to the source...

ALM
August 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Maybe they are fingertip paddles?
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/5734.htm

wwoelbel
August 15th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The only remotely relevant result for "knuckle paddles" appears to be a technique as opposed to an actual product. Unfortunately, I could not find out what the technique actually is. The link below (warning - links to a Flash page) is where I found the reference. Maybe someone in AZ knows more?

http://www.sscdayclinic.com/series3.swf

Bill

smontanaro
August 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I went ahead and sent them a message through their website. I'll report back if I get a response.

Rob Copeland
August 15th, 2012, 01:33 PM
We do a drill with paddles that may be what you call knuckle paddles.

Hold the base of the paddle in the palm of your hand, with the top of the paddle on your wrist/forearm, without having any of the straps holding the paddles. Pulling with your paddles inverted like this helps to focus on early vertical forearm.

It kind of feels (looks) like a fist drill, except you have a lot more forearm surface area.

smontanaro
August 15th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I asked the folks over at sscdayclinic.com. I exchanged a couple emails with someone there, but never really got a straight answer, just clinic info. I'm sure Salo's swim camp would be a great experience, but I suspect I have better things to spend my money on.

Bill Sive
August 15th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Rob,
Your response is what I believe Knuckle Paddles actually is.

Skip,
I sent an e-mail to the source earlier today.

Bill,
You win the prize. Its a workout from Mr. Dave Salo himself. Head Swim Coach at the University of Southern California (USC).

I've added Mr. Salo's workouts to my growing list of DIY Coaching. It would be nice if Mr. Salo responds to my e-mail. Any input from any USC swimmer(s) would also be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I can sneak into one of their workouts. They are not too far from where I live. I'm already swimming twice a month across the street from them at the L.A. Swim Stadium.

Bill Sive
August 16th, 2012, 04:24 PM
From Mr. Salo himself!!! So kind of him to respond to my e-mail.

"Bill - we use three basic paddle hand holds.

Knuckle paddle is held with a grip such that the fingers wrap over the front edge of the paddle with the knuckles on the front end of the paddle - this puts more focus on the elbow position and forearm

pac man paddle - holding the paddle on the back edge of the paddles such that the paddle is held extended beyond the fingers and the grip is tight (no straps used). Puts a little more emphasis on the front edge of the hand. The hands will cramp up with this position.

Regular paddle - as described.

dave"

I sent him a Thank You e-mail. Its nice of him to help out the little guy in the audience.