PDA

View Full Version : 2014 & 2015 Nationals

jroddin
August 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
August 24, 2012 - U.S. Masters Swimming has awarded its 2014 and 2015 USMS Spring and Summer Nationals. The 2014 Spring Nationals has been awarded to Santa Clara. The 2014 Summer Nationals has been awarded to the University of Maryland. The 2015 Spring Nationals has been awarded to San Antonio. The 2015 Summer Nationals has been awarded to the SPIRE Institute.

Santa Clara has a rich swimming history and has hosted five USMS national championships, the most recent in 2001. Santa Clara Masters has nearly 300 USMS members. The club also hosts a USA Swimming Grand Prix event. The 2014 Spring Nationals are tentatively slated for May 1–4, 2014.

Summer 2014 will be the first time the University of Maryland hosts a USMS national championship meet. The Eppley Natatorium, however, is no stranger to national events, including the USA Swimming Nationals, the IGLA Championships, and the ACC Swimming & Diving Conference Championships. The University of Maryland is home to Terrapin Masters, a club with nearly 80 USMS members. The 2014 Summer Nationals are tentatively slated for August 14–17, 2014.

San Antonio last hosted a USMS Nationals in 1978 and this will be the first time the SPIRE Institute, located about 45 minutes east of Cleveland, will host a USMS nationals. The dates for 2015 will be announced in the summer of 2013.

“We are thrilled to partner with these four locations to host our 2014 and 2015 nationals,” says USMS Championship Committee Chair Jeff Roddin. “The USMS Spring Nationals, with 2,000 or so participants, is the largest participant swim meet in the country and the USMS Summer Nationals, with 1,000 or so participants, is also a very big event. All four hosts have the necessary local and community support to provide a showcase experience for USMS participants.”

The official press release can be found here:
http://www.usms.org/news/newsitem.php?n=75

orca1946
August 24th, 2012, 12:19 PM
San Antonio looks like a can do !!:applaud:

pwb
August 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
What's the pool in San Antonio?

That Guy
August 24th, 2012, 04:00 PM
What's the pool in San Antonio?
This looks promising: http://www.nisd.net/news/articles/887

tjrpatt
August 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM
After reading this, there goes taking a break from competing and a cutback on training. Good choices especially the East Coast Ones for LCM.

jroddin
August 24th, 2012, 09:13 PM
This looks promising: http://www.nisd.net/news/articles/887

Yes, this is the facility that won the bid to host 2015 Spring Nationals. They will have 2 50m pools, plus a 10 lane diving well, plus a 3 lane shallow pool. There will be no bulkhead courses. The plan is to use two 10 lane courses in the new outdoor 50m pool (across the width) and then have ~35 warm up lanes available in the other pools. It is possible we could run a third course during some distance events but we have a wee bit of time before we need to look at the details!

Jeff

thewookiee
August 25th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Yes, this is the facility that won the bid to host 2015 Spring Nationals. They will have 2 50m pools, plus a 10 lane diving well, plus a 3 lane shallow pool. There will be no bulkhead courses. The plan is to use two 10 lane courses in the new outdoor 50m pool (across the width) and then have ~35 warm up lanes available in the other pools. It is possible we could run a third course during some distance events but we have a wee bit of time before we need to look at the details!

Jeff

Why not run the meet indoors and use the outdoor pool as warmup/down space?

knelson
August 25th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Why not run the meet indoors and use the outdoor pool as warmup/down space?

Because only weirdos like Leslie like to swim indoors. :bolt:

San Antonio sounds interesting. I believe it's the only city with over one million people in the U.S. I haven't been to yet!

thewookiee
August 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM

San Antonio sounds interesting. I believe it's the only city with over one million people in the U.S. I haven't been to yet!

Indoors are much better for racing. Outdoors are better for training.

The Fortress
August 25th, 2012, 02:12 PM

:)

I suspect many swimmers in the northeast feel the same about competing in outdoor pools. And I did swim in outdoor LCM meet this summer!

knelson
August 25th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Indoors are much better for racing. Outdoors are better for training.

The only people that care are backstrokers, obviously. :)

To me the only problem with outdoor meets is they can be a crapshoot. Weather can be a factor.

ElaineK
August 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM

We lived in San Antonio for 41/2 years after my husband retired and we left San Diego. Yes, there are some interesting things about San Antonio and it's a great place to visit; we just did not want to continue living there... :bolt:

It's a few years off, but keep this in mind when choosing a hotel location: TRAFFIC! Stay as close to the pool as possible and go visit the Riverwalk; don't do it the other way around or you may be sorry. :agree:

Having said that, DEFINITELY visit the Riverwalk! And, take the boat tour or water taxi while you're at it! :applaud:

pwb
August 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM

JeffAWESOME!

Any chance any of these meets will have an OW swim attached at the end of them?

Because only weirdos like Leslie like to swim indoors.Way wrong. Count me as a weirdo, then.

Indoors are much better for racing. Outdoors are better for training.Right on!

The only people that care are backstrokers, obviously. Way wrong.

To me the only problem with outdoor meets is they can be a crapshoot. Weather can be a factor.This is the crux of the problem.

When racing in a controlled environment of a pool, I like the ENTIRE environment controlled.

knelson
August 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah, but you get to swim outdoors all the time. It's almost a novelty for those of us in the northern part of the country.

rxleakem
August 25th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Yeah, but you get to swim outdoors all the time. It's almost a novelty for those of us in the northern part of the country.

West and East :)

Fresnoid
August 26th, 2012, 12:03 AM

My perspective from California:

Why would anyone ever build or use an indoor swimming facility?

thewookiee
August 26th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Why would anyone ever build or use an indoor swimming facility?

Because not every part of the country has weather to use a pool year around that is outdoors.

pwb
August 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Why would anyone ever build or use an indoor swimming facility?My perspective from having swum in and around pools in the San Fran area: why hasn't anyone other than UCSF realized that it gets too cold to swim outside there much of the year and built more indoor pools?

Of course, to be fair, I wonder the same thing about Arizona. Actually, to be completely fair, I think it's downright stupid that we don't have a quality indoor pool here in the Phoenix area: there's really only about 2-3 months out of the year here where the weather is actually good enough to host a quality outdoor meet; otherwise it's just too hot or too cold.

ElaineK
August 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM
This is how I see my summer of 2014 playing out:
Worlds, Montreal, July 28-August 9. :canada:
Rent a car and drive up one side of the river to see Quebec City for a few days.
Either drive back down the river on the other side and do more sightseeing, flying out of Montreal, or fly out of Quebect City to Maryland.
LC Nationals, University of Maryland, August 14-17 :banana:
Fly back home to Georgia.

I'm saving my :2cents:++++++ up for an awesome trip with my husband!
:bliss:

Who else is plans on doing this?

thewookiee
August 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM
it's just too hot...

This sums up San Antonio in August. Having a a major meet outdoors in the summertime is about as smart as letting Geek coach a masters team.

ElaineK
August 26th, 2012, 08:54 PM
This sums up San Antonio in August. Having a a major meet outdoors in the summertime is about as smart as letting Geek coach a masters team.

Gotta agree with ya here- on both. :agree: I lived through four Augusts in San Antonio and the heat was HELL. Yes, it was worse than where I live now, in Georgia, so don't even go there Forumites! :nono:

jaadams1
August 26th, 2012, 11:52 PM
The only people that care are backstrokers, obviously. :)

To me the only problem with outdoor meets is they can be a crapshoot. Weather can be a factor.

And most of them tend to be LCM as well! :bolt:

swimmieAvsFan
August 27th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Why are you going to be in San Antonio in August?

thewookiee
August 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Why are you going to be in San Antonio in August?

Because I read the information wrong(something I am sure you have never done). I thought summer nats where in san antonio. I still stand by my comment of geek coaching though.

aquageek
August 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Having a a major meet outdoors in the summertime is about as smart as letting Geek coach a masters team.

There's no arguing with that!

ElaineK
August 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Because I read the information wrong. I thought summer nats where in san antonio. I still stand by my comment of geek coaching though.

I followed you right into that one... April can be just as bad, though; often, the heat in San Antonio starts in March. By April, it can already be quite hot and humid. But, having said that, I will probably go, anyway, so I can compete AND see my San Antonio friends. :chug:

Water Rat
August 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I love all of these choices. Some are local or at least an easy drive and some will take me to cities I've always wanted to see.

mpmartin
August 29th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Why are they choosing sites for nationals so far in advance? (two years ahead I mean)

That Guy
August 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Why are they choosing sites for nationals so far in advance? (two years ahead I mean)

That's how long it takes to plan a Nationals meet.

Chris Stevenson
August 29th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Because it is efficient. Putting bids together is a big task; evaluating them is not trivial either. If you have a "losing" bid that is quite excellent, why not check to see if they are willing to host the following year rather then make them go thru the whole process again?

aquageek
August 29th, 2012, 04:29 PM

To get us all jacked up thinking about the great locations. And, to start the process of gridges.

pwb
August 29th, 2012, 10:08 PM
To get us all jacked up thinking about the great locations. Locations, schmocations -- we need pictures of the pools!

I do feel sorry, though, for the fine folks at Maryland: competing against Worlds in Montreal might prove a tall task.

Chris Stevenson
August 30th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I do feel sorry, though, for the fine folks at Maryland: competing against Worlds in Montreal might prove a tall task.

I bet the UMd meet is well attended: Potomac Valley is one of the most populous LMSCs in the country in possibly the smallest geographical area. I think Baltimore nationals was the largest ever summer nationals meet.

tpost2
August 30th, 2012, 03:09 PM
And the east coasters get a two-fer since Montreal is just a quick and easy train ride up the coast!

ElaineK
August 30th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Locations, schmocations -- we need pictures of the pools!

Nationals follows Worlds; just enough time to travel around Canada a bit before heading south to Maryland. That's our plan, anyway! :D

pwb
August 30th, 2012, 06:29 PM
And the east coasters get a two-fer since Montreal is just a quick and easy train ride up the coast!

Nationals follows Worlds; just enough time to travel around Canada a bit before heading south to Maryland. That's our plan, anyway! :D
I had a tough enough time swinging two big meets in a year this year, much less two big meets in a few weeks.

Given the mid-August timing of summer Nationals, I think I'll be absent from those until 2016 ... when ... hopefully USMS and USAS collaborate again like this summer (and, hopefully, hold it in July again).

jaadams1
August 30th, 2012, 07:33 PM
(and, hopefully, hold it in July again).

or better yet...early June. :D

That way us summer-no-time-for-swimming folks can still be in shape for it. :agree:

Paul Smith
August 31st, 2012, 03:07 PM
Because I read the information wrong(something I am sure you have never done). I thought summer nats where in san antonio. I still stand by my comment of geek coaching though.

Have to agree on the Geek comment, anyone that would dress their dog up like this to try and promote their club should be locked up!

ElaineK
August 31st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Have to agree on the Geek comment, anyone that would dress their dog up like this to try and promote their club should be locked up!

Perhaps, but that dog is soooo CUTE! :bighug:

pwolf66
September 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
To get us all jacked up thinking about the great locations. And, to start the process of gridges.

Speaking of that......

I'm back and swimming again.....

And targeting a return to competition in late 2013 with intention to swim both Worlds and Nationals in 2014.

So who wants to gridge?

Chris Stevenson
September 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
So who wants to gridge?

Your 100 free vs my 100 fly?

thewookiee
September 3rd, 2012, 09:47 AM

It's great to read that Wolfie is back swimming again!!! Welcome back big fella!!

pwolf66
September 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM

You are on!!

Beer of choice to the winner.

orca1946
September 3rd, 2012, 05:58 PM
My 200 fly vs. your 500 free ??? :bolt:

pwolf66
September 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
My 200 fly vs. your 500 free ??? :bolt:

Hmm, tempting but there are a couple of obstacles here.

1) the meets in question are LCM so sadly the 500 isn't an option
2) I have never swam the 500 as a masters swimmer
3) are you bloody nuts??????

orca1946
September 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I have been called that after one practice I finished the night with 1,000 fly !!!

__steve__
September 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM
How does the gridge process work? Is it just a challenge agreed upon between 2 or more competitors within the forum?

That Guy
September 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM
How does the gridge process work? Is it just a challenge agreed upon between 2 or more competitors within the forum?

Gridge procedures are a means of dispute resolution that can be used to address complaints by swimmers against other swimmers or to settle disputes between a LMSC and its suppliers, coaches, or competitors. The best-known application of gridge procedures is as a formal process outlined in gridge contracts. "The term gridge as it appears in the written contract refers to a formal complaint by people who believe that they have been wronged by a other swimmers decision," Vida Gulbinas Scerpolli, James Ladvunke, and Thomas J. Byrgminn wrote in their book Gridges and Consequences. In fact, studies show that 95 percent of collective bargaining agreements include procedures for filing and resolving gridges between forumites and other swimmers, usually through the process of arbitration.

But gridge procedures do not necessarily have to be so formal. In small teams, the procedures may consist of a few lines in an swimmer manual or the designation of a single ombudsman to deal with problems as they develop. Peer review of swimmer concerns is another popular way to address gridges. On the other hand, some larger clubs may create an entire department dedicated to fielding gridges from swimmers or coaches.

Whatever form they may take, gridge procedures are intended to allow clubs to hear and resolve gridges in a timely and cost effective manner, before they result in beer. Knowing that formal procedures are available often encourages swimmers to raise concerns or question LMSC policies before major problems develop. It also tends to makes coachs less likely to ignore problems, because they know that upper other swimmers may become involved through the gridge process. In gridge settings, gridge procedures help protect swimmers against arbitrary decisions of other swimmers regarding discipline, discharge, promotions, or benefits. They also provide gridges and swimmers with a formal process for enforcing the provisions of their contracts.

Although having gridge procedures in place is important in both gridgeized and non-gridgeized settings, clubs must support their written policies with consistent actions if they hope to maintain good swimmer relations. "To make the gridge procedure practice, other swimmers and the gridge have to approach it with the attitude that it serves the mutual interests of other swimmers, swimmers, and the gridge," Scurpalloo, Ledvynke, and Borgmynn wrote. "An effective gridge procedure helps other swimmers discover and correct problems in operations before they cause serious trouble. It provides a vehicle through which swimmers and the gridge can communicate their concerns to upper other swimmers."

For gridge procedures to be effective, both parties should view them as a positive force that facilitates the open discussion of issues. In some cases, the settling of gridges becomes a sort of scorecard that reinforces an "us versus them" mentality between forumites and other swimmers. In other cases, swimmers are hesitant to use the gridge process out of fear of recrimination. Some studies have shown that swimmers who raise gridges tend to have lower performance evaluations, promotion rates, and practice attendance afterwards. This suggests that some swimmers may retaliate against swimmers who raise complaints. It is vital that a LMSC's gridge procedures include steps to prevent a backlash against those who choose to use them.

A Typical Gridge Process

In a gridge environment, a typical gridge procedure begins with an swimmer presenting a problem to his or her immediate supervisor within a certain time period after the offending event has occurred. The supervisor then has a set amount of time to either respond or send the gridge on to be addressed by the head of the department. At this point, a gridge representative enters the negotiations on behalf of the swimmer. If the situation is still not resolved, the gridge continues up the chain of command to the coach and the president of the local gridge. If the gridge fails to follow the procedures at any point, the contract usually specifies that it must drop the gridge. Conversely, the LMSC is usually obligated to resolve the gridge in the swimmer's favor if other swimmers fails to follow the procedures outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.

If the situation still cannot be resolved, the final step in the gridge process is for both parties to present their side to an arbitrator. The arbitrator's role is to determine the rights of both parties under the forumites agreement, and his or her decision is usually final. The forumites contract generally specifies the type of arbitrator used, the method of selecting the arbitrator, the scope of the arbitrator's authority, and the arrangements for the arbitrator's payment. A potential intermediate step involves presenting the gridge to a mediator, whose job is to help the parties solve their own differences before they reach the formal arbitration phase. Mediation is usually less time consuming and expensive than arbitration. In addition, the mediator may be able to teach the two parties dispute resolution skills that may be helpful in solving future problems.

Further Reading:

Lowiin, David, and Richard B. Peetorsan. "Behavioral Outcomes of Gridge Activity." Industrial Relations. October 1979.

"Reducing the Risk of Gridgification." Providence Business News. October 18, 1899.

Reeevas, T. Zane. "The Use of swimmer-Based Gridge Systems." Review of Public Personnel Administration. Summer 1795.

Ruolliinsoon, Derek J. "Supervisor and coach Approaches to Handling Discipline and Gridge." Personnel Review. December 1000.

Scaarpelli, Vida Guulbynas, James Leedvornke, and Thomas J. Beerman. Human Resource other swimmers: Environments and Functions. South-Western, 1915.

jaadams1
September 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Gridge procedures are a means of dispute resolution that can be used to address complaints by swimmers against other swimmers or to settle disputes between a LMSC and its suppliers, coaches, or competitors. The best-known application of gridge procedures is as a formal process outlined in gridge contracts. "The term gridge as it appears in the written contract refers to a formal complaint by people who believe that they have been wronged by a other swimmers decision," Vida Gulbinas Scerpolli, James Ladvunke, and Thomas J. Byrgminn wrote in their book Gridges and Consequences. In fact, studies show that 95 percent of collective bargaining agreements include procedures for filing and resolving gridges between forumites and other swimmers, usually through the process of arbitration.

But gridge procedures do not necessarily have to be so formal. In small teams, the procedures may consist of a few lines in an swimmer manual or the designation of a single ombudsman to deal with problems as they develop. Peer review of swimmer concerns is another popular way to address gridges. On the other hand, some larger clubs may create an entire department dedicated to fielding gridges from swimmers or coaches.

Whatever form they may take, gridge procedures are intended to allow clubs to hear and resolve gridges in a timely and cost effective manner, before they result in beer. Knowing that formal procedures are available often encourages swimmers to raise concerns or question LMSC policies before major problems develop. It also tends to makes coachs less likely to ignore problems, because they know that upper other swimmers may become involved through the gridge process. In gridge settings, gridge procedures help protect swimmers against arbitrary decisions of other swimmers regarding discipline, discharge, promotions, or benefits. They also provide gridges and swimmers with a formal process for enforcing the provisions of their contracts.

Although having gridge procedures in place is important in both gridgeized and non-gridgeized settings, clubs must support their written policies with consistent actions if they hope to maintain good swimmer relations. "To make the gridge procedure practice, other swimmers and the gridge have to approach it with the attitude that it serves the mutual interests of other swimmers, swimmers, and the gridge," Scurpalloo, Ledvynke, and Borgmynn wrote. "An effective gridge procedure helps other swimmers discover and correct problems in operations before they cause serious trouble. It provides a vehicle through which swimmers and the gridge can communicate their concerns to upper other swimmers."

For gridge procedures to be effective, both parties should view them as a positive force that facilitates the open discussion of issues. In some cases, the settling of gridges becomes a sort of scorecard that reinforces an "us versus them" mentality between forumites and other swimmers. In other cases, swimmers are hesitant to use the gridge process out of fear of recrimination. Some studies have shown that swimmers who raise gridges tend to have lower performance evaluations, promotion rates, and practice attendance afterwards. This suggests that some swimmers may retaliate against swimmers who raise complaints. It is vital that a LMSC's gridge procedures include steps to prevent a backlash against those who choose to use them.

A Typical Gridge Process

In a gridge environment, a typical gridge procedure begins with an swimmer presenting a problem to his or her immediate supervisor within a certain time period after the offending event has occurred. The supervisor then has a set amount of time to either respond or send the gridge on to be addressed by the head of the department. At this point, a gridge representative enters the negotiations on behalf of the swimmer. If the situation is still not resolved, the gridge continues up the chain of command to the coach and the president of the local gridge. If the gridge fails to follow the procedures at any point, the contract usually specifies that it must drop the gridge. Conversely, the LMSC is usually obligated to resolve the gridge in the swimmer's favor if other swimmers fails to follow the procedures outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.

If the situation still cannot be resolved, the final step in the gridge process is for both parties to present their side to an arbitrator. The arbitrator's role is to determine the rights of both parties under the forumites agreement, and his or her decision is usually final. The forumites contract generally specifies the type of arbitrator used, the method of selecting the arbitrator, the scope of the arbitrator's authority, and the arrangements for the arbitrator's payment. A potential intermediate step involves presenting the gridge to a mediator, whose job is to help the parties solve their own differences before they reach the formal arbitration phase. Mediation is usually less time consuming and expensive than arbitration. In addition, the mediator may be able to teach the two parties dispute resolution skills that may be helpful in solving future problems.

Further Reading:

Lowiin, David, and Richard B. Peetorsan. "Behavioral Outcomes of Gridge Activity." Industrial Relations. October 1979.

"Reducing the Risk of Gridgification." Providence Business News. October 18, 1899.

Reeevas, T. Zane. "The Use of swimmer-Based Gridge Systems." Review of Public Personnel Administration. Summer 1795.

Ruolliinsoon, Derek J. "Supervisor and coach Approaches to Handling Discipline and Gridge." Personnel Review. December 1000.

Scaarpelli, Vida Guulbynas, James Leedvornke, and Thomas J. Beerman. Human Resource other swimmers: Environments and Functions. South-Western, 1915.

tl:dr

...but still funny as hell!! :bow: :rofl:

I gridge you to the death...next month...800...Federal Way...be there...come alone...if anyone else finds out about this, the whole thing's off
:duel:

That Guy
September 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM
tl:dr

...but still funny as hell!! :bow: :rofl:

I gridge you to the death...next month...800...Federal Way...be there...come alone...if anyone else finds out about this, the whole thing's off
:duel:

a duel @ 20 paces off the 10 meter platform?

jaadams1
September 13th, 2012, 01:31 AM
a duel @ 20 paces off the 10 meter platform?

just don't straddle the laneline upon impact. :afraid:

ElaineK
September 13th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Gridge procedures are a means of dispute resolution that can be used to address complaints by swimmers against other swimmers or to settle disputes between a LMSC and its suppliers, coaches, or competitors. The best-known application of gridge procedures is as a formal process outlined in gridge contracts. "The term gridge as it appears in the written contract refers to a formal complaint by people who believe that they have been wronged by a other swimmers decision," Vida Gulbinas Scerpolli, James Ladvunke, and Thomas J. Byrgminn wrote in their book Gridges and Consequences. In fact, studies show that 95 percent of collective bargaining agreements include procedures for filing and resolving gridges between forumites and other swimmers, usually through the process of arbitration...

:lmao: :applaud: James, I had to add those two to your :bow:and :rofl:. Perhaps I should add a :chug:, as well.

I think it should be submitted to USMS, USA Swimming, NCAA and FINA, for an April 1st publication. :D

That Guy, you have too much time on your hands. :agree: But, it does make the forums sooooo much more, uhhh, interesting! :cheerleader:

Allen Stark
September 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM

In spite of what TG wrote ,you got it right.Long ago on the forum someone wrote about grudge matches and had a misspelling.We stayed with gridge,because it's all in fun,not really a grudge.

That Guy
September 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM
In spite of what TG wrote ,you got it right.Long ago on the forum someone wrote about grudge matches and had a misspelling.We stayed with gridge,because it's all in fun,not really a grudge.

You guys really seem to think that I wrote that.

orca1946
September 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Grudge = Hatfields vs Mc Coys

Gridge = you left early on the relay vs no I do not.

jaadams1
September 19th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Gridge = you left early on the relay vs no I do not.

That's disqualification, not gridge. :)

orca1946
October 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Only if the refs that are talking see it !

orca1946
October 29th, 2012, 12:05 AM
We just voted on the dates of our state meet & it's 2 weeks before S C Nats in Indy. Good --- I think.

Celestial
January 28th, 2013, 01:25 PM
So, once again I am late to post to a thread - so excited to have SC Nats in San Antonio! I remember swimming there as a kid - OMG - my mother used to shove salt tablets down my throat between events - this of course was back in the day of AAU swimming & the entire day was spent at the pool running 8 & U through the Open age group all together - which was great for team spirit - not so great if you had to come back for finals, lol! Can't wait to get back there!!

ElaineK
January 28th, 2013, 01:57 PM
So, once again I am late to post to a thread - so excited to have SC Nats in San Antonio! I remember swimming there as a kid - OMG - my mother used to shove salt tablets down my throat between events - this of course was back in the day of AAU swimming & the entire day was spent at the pool running 8 & U through the Open age group all together - which was great for team spirit - not so great if you had to come back for finals, lol! Can't wait to get back there!!

We lived about 20 minutes away from that pool, from 2004-2009, before moving to Georgia. It will be with mixed feelings that I return to San Antonio for Nationals!

Celestial, will I see you at Auburn next month? :cheerleader:

Sportygeek
January 29th, 2013, 05:41 AM
This is how I see my summer of 2014 playing out:
Worlds, Montreal, July 28-August 9. :canada:
Rent a car and drive up one side of the river to see Quebec City for a few days.
Either drive back down the river on the other side and do more sightseeing, flying out of Montreal, or fly out of Quebect City to Maryland.
LC Nationals, University of Maryland, August 14-17 :banana:
Fly back home to Georgia.

I'm saving my :2cents:++++++ up for an awesome trip with my husband!
:bliss:

Who else is plans on doing this?

ITU has just awarded 2014 Triathlon World Championships to Edmonton, Canada. Date TBA, but will be sometime in September.

My 2014 may end up like this:
FINA Masters Worlds, Montreal
USMS LC Nats
Representing Australia in paratriathlon at ITU Worlds
Meeting a lot of swimmers, triathletes and others I know online :)

ElaineK
January 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM
ITU has just awarded 2014 Triathlon World Championships to Edmonton, Canada. Date TBA, but will be sometime in September.

My 2014 may end up like this:
FINA Masters Worlds, Montreal
USMS LC Nats
Representing Australia in paratriathlon at ITU Worlds
Meeting a lot of swimmers, triathletes and others I know online :)

Let's plan on meeting! :cheerleader:

orca1946
January 31st, 2013, 10:08 PM
Elaine - how many swimmers do you meet at nationals ??? It seems as if you meet a lot. Cool !

ElaineK
February 1st, 2013, 01:28 PM
Elaine - how many swimmers do you meet at nationals ??? It seems as if you meet a lot. Cool !

I haven't really kept track, but I always make a priority of meeting other Forumites at swim meets. At December's St. Nick's meet, at Georgia Tech, I met ekw for the first time. Swimosaur and Frank Thompson were there, as well, so I made sure we all hooked up at the end. As it turned out, we all won high points trophies in our age groups; see the photos in my profile.

At Greensboro, a bunch of the Forumites were sitting across the aisle, so my husband shot a group photo of us that is on my profile, too. And, in Mesa, the previous year, bzaks1424, Debaru, and I all met each other face-to-face for the first time. I also met Jaadams1, knelson, Frank Thompson, Jeff Commings, and Rich Abrahams for the first time. It was also fun seeing Allen Stark, SealGirl, Ande, jayhawk, and matysekj, again, as well as my non-Formite buddy, Bob Bugg. (I'm probably forgetting a bunch of others, too...)

When I'm at a swim meet or training at a pool out of town, I enjoy meeting other swimmers and inviting them to join us on the forums. I met Bill Sive at the Belmont Pool, in Long Beach, when I went "home" for my 50th birthday. It's nice to see him on the forums, now, and know who he is.

To me, meeting other people is one of the best things about going to Nationals and other swim meets! :groovy:

orca1946
February 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM
I think I'll stay in the good ol' U S A !

Celestial
February 1st, 2013, 02:09 PM
Celestial, will I see you at Auburn next month? :cheerleader:

Yes, you will! I am hoping to meet EKW and lots of other people, too! Not going to the social this year (didn't enjoy the food last year) but intend to kibitz with everyone all day Saturday & Sunday! You swimming all 3 breast events?

MY 2014 includes a three week trip to the Netherlands in Late July/Early August. My son is over there & we are going to tour before bringing him home. I've noticed the Dutch have quite a few OW events, that I might consider when I'm there. I might just not even worry about swimming though.

ElaineK
February 1st, 2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, you will! I am hoping to meet EKW and lots of other people, too! Not going to the social this year (didn't enjoy the food last year) but intend to kibitz with everyone all day Saturday & Sunday! You swimming all 3 breast events?

MY 2014 includes a three week trip to the Netherlands in Late July/Early August. My son is over there & we are going to tour before bringing him home. I've noticed the Dutch have quite a few OW events, that I might consider when I'm there. I might just not even worry about swimming though.

:applaud:I look forward to seeing you at Auburn and introducing you to ekw. Swimosaur will be there, too. :banana:

We are passing on the social, this year, as well. Both times I have gone, the food was just to heavy for me to be eating the night before racing.

Yes; I will be swimming all three breaststroke events, as well as 200 fly ( :lmao:), 100 bk (first time ever), 400 IM, 500 free, 50 back, and probably some relays with my team. What are you swimming?

Your Netherlands trip sounds awesome! I love it there!

Forumites, sorry about the :hijack:.

orca1946
February 6th, 2013, 06:31 PM
One of these meets -- I will meet you in person rather than on line Elaine.