PDA

View Full Version : Guest swimming

Gixen Felton
January 19th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I am under the impression that when an USMS swimmer travels they may be able to join in another clubs workout as a guest. Is there any information / links to this idea that any one can forward to me? I am about to travel to California and would like to enjoy a workout with a local club in the Bay Area.

Thank you,

/ss
Scott

ALM
January 19th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Scott,

Most clubs welcome visiting swimmers, but it's up to the individual club so you'd need to contact them directly. Some may allow guests only if the guest is a registered member of USMS (for insurance reasons). Some clubs may have limited pool space and may not be able to allow guests.

In general I think most clubs like to have guests and many don't charge them any sort of drop-in fee. I believe that the Stanford group is one that does that.

The Bay Area has a lot of Masters groups. You can locate them through our Places to Swim listings (under the Local Programs tab on usms.org).

Anna Lea Matysek

pwb
January 19th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I am under the impression that when an USMS swimmer travels they may be able to join in another clubs workout as a guest. Is there any information / links to this idea that any one can forward to me? I am about to travel to California and would like to enjoy a workout with a local club in the Bay Area.

Thank you,

/ss
ScottFeel free to drop me a Private Message with more details about where you'll be. I've dropped in with a number of clubs and at a number of pools (from Santa Clara up to San Francisco as well as a few in the east Bay) during lap swimming hours in the Bay Area. I'd be happy to offer any advice. Otherwise, go to www.pacificmasters.org for clubs or www.swimmersguide.com for pools that might have lap swimming hours.

rxleakem
January 19th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Another resource that I have used is reaching out to fellow forumites; most list the regions where they live and can be very helpful in helping you to access workouts while you are away from home (just as PWB has above).

StewartACarroll
January 20th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I have not swum with a team in the bay area(yet) but I do travel with work quite a lot. I have gone to the place to swim on the main website as jay hawk suggested and find a club and contact. I email the coach asking if I can participate in the practices I am in town for. To date I have found all clubs to be very responsive and have really enjoyed visiting and training with new teams. It can be a little intimidating showing up when you don't know anyone, but once you do it once it becomes much easier. Good luck. Please followup and post who you work out with because one day I may be doing the same thing in SF.

Brian Stack
January 20th, 2013, 11:49 PM
The Manatees always welcome visiting swimmers staying in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, Piedmont, Castro Valley) check out our schedule at www.manateswimming.org (http://www.manateswimming.org) and be our guest when you're in the neighborhood.

Fresnoid
January 21st, 2013, 03:44 PM
I've swum with Stanford, Menlo and at Foothill College when visiting the Bay Area. All were welcoming. A friend who visits the east bay a lot always trains at Walnut Creek and said everyone is nice there.