PDA

View Full Version : why is a high arm backstroke recovery better?

rtodd
January 20th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I see some backstrokers who have arm recoveries not straight over the top, but off to the side. I feel straight over the top is better as it puts more weight pressing down on the upper body. I think this creates a better body line, allows the shoulder upper arm to clear the water better on recovery and some how allows the pulling arm to leverage against this weight. Is all this true? If not, what are any benefits of a high arm recovery?

knelson
January 20th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I'd say the most compelling reason would be that you want to keep all your momentum directed straight down the pool and not to the side.

rtodd
January 20th, 2013, 05:03 PM
This makes sense. The momentum of the arm is going in the correct direction into the catch, which means you don't need to redirect the trajectory of the arm into the catch position and waste energy.

stanflys
January 20th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Here is my couple of $cents... Back is leg and rotation intensive. Yes. the momentum should be along the axis, and without any major changes in arm direction of movement. So, the pull is finished as the hip rotates out of the water and the arm continues in the direction it was going... which, with rotation, is up out of the water... or near vertically. Core rotation drives the arm into the water for the catch as the arm reaches the above (and slightly outboard) the shoulder position. NOT to be mistaken for REACHING above the shoulder. That action takes the spine out of alignment, and causes that pesky wiggling. Anybody disagree? Cheers!

orca1946
January 20th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Stan - good breakdown of the back stroke movements. I agree, I don't think I remember seeing an arm out to the side,but more of body rotation as you say.