PDA

View Full Version : Who is in your lane?

Michael Heather
January 24th, 2013, 10:20 AM
This morning, there were four Mikes and one Tom in one lane at the Rose Bowl Pool. There are loads more Mikes than any other name at the Rose Bowl, as if there is a celestial vortex. It seems as though different geographical areas attract particular names. Mission Viejo also has a preferred name in one lane, Dick. Hilarity ensues from time to time.

pmccoy
January 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM
There's three Dave's one Roger and myself on our team. Our USMS designation, however, is MATT. Kind of reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA .

swimshark
January 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
At one point I was swimming with 5 others, the rest were age groupers. Three of us were named Alison. The coach loved it since he could just yell "Go Alison" and it covered half his practice attendance.

fmracing
January 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
No one. I hit up open lap time at the ymca and no one wants to share a lane with the fast guy. I'm always open to sharing unless i am in danger of a breastroke kick to the ribs, or someone that can't split the lane properly...

Once in a while when I do have to share its usually with a regular named Tom.

ElaineK
January 24th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I never have to share a lane, thankfully, but on many Mondays, Wednesdays, and/or Fridays, the five noodlers who hog up three lanes of the 5 lane pool for their noodling are ALL named Cathy. :rolleyes:

ElaineK
January 24th, 2013, 02:40 PM
There's three Dave's one Roger and myself on our team. Our USMS designation, however, is MATT. Kind of reminds me of this:

I was thinking of you and the Dave's while I was reading Michael's post! If you hadn't posted, I was going to post it for/ about you. :D

knelson
January 24th, 2013, 03:03 PM
No repeats in my lane, but we do sometimes have an Anders and an Andres. Maybe I need to invite Ande out to make it even better!

pwb
January 24th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I generally train alone, but often drop in with other teams. Though my name is not uncommon, it's rare (and kind of odd) when I end up swimming with another Patrick.

thewookiee
January 24th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I have yet to swim with another Wookiee.

philoswimmer
January 24th, 2013, 04:44 PM
We seem to have a lot of Pauls. When I forget someone's name, "Paul" is always a safe bet.

ekw
January 24th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I almost always have my own lane, but when I do share, it's with an Eric, so you've got two E's. I now feel compelled to restate this as, "I don't always share my lane, but when I do, I prefer to share with Eric," so as to remain in accordance with Internet Meme Code of Conduct Section 3.14159.

Swimming with another Wookiee would create a paradox. If you let the Wookiee win, which Wookiee? Unless you always swim at the same speed, the space-time continuum is at risk. :agree:

debaru
January 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM
In my evening group we have:

Chris: 2
Hank: 2

Otherwise, lots of unique names. The funny thing, I'm the only Debbie. When I was a kid, so many of my friends were named Debbie. At one time, 7 of us hung out together on a regular basis and people would call us "Debs" to save time. :)

arthur
January 24th, 2013, 05:07 PM

I was thinking of you and the Dave's while I was reading Michael's post! If you hadn't posted, I was going to post it for/ about you. :D
I thought the link would be for this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF1chLj1fro

pmccoy
January 24th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I thought the link would be for this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF1chLj1fro
That's pretty good. Might become the new team theme music.

but when I do share, it's with an Eric, Is he an halibut?

ElaineK
January 24th, 2013, 05:41 PM

:afraid:I hope not; y'all would clog the pool drains in no time!

knelson
January 24th, 2013, 06:38 PM

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

swimslick
January 24th, 2013, 07:27 PM
We seem to have a lot of Pauls. When I forget someone's name, "Paul" is always a safe bet.

No joke, at my very first Masters practice a while back I swam in a lane with two guys named "Ron" and "Paul". Least to say I have no problems remembering their names, ha.

Fenella
January 25th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Our coach addresses every male swimmer as " Young Man" .... it is getting a bit more awkward now as his eyesight is going ... many of the girls ending up saying " did you mean me?"
We also have Tall Jane and Short Jane in the same lane
And too many Tonys to shake a float at.....
We have an Old Dave and a Young Dave coaching ....

orca1946
January 25th, 2013, 11:00 AM
There is OZ- bruce- mia -dave-gaofeng - ruth on most swims. No noodlers allowed in the pool during team practice. Also --- anyone that wears a big casio watch & swings their arm out to the side & hits others get yelled at & abused to the point of them being thrown out !!!!!

Three Rivers
January 25th, 2013, 11:53 AM
When I first met my lanemate I said "Hi I'm Steve" and she said "I'm Trinity". And to this day I wish that I had let her go first because the conversation would have gone more like this instead. Me: "Hi who are you?" Trinity: "I'm Trinity." Me: "Oh Hi, I'm......Neo!" (spoken an octave below my normal voice).

ekw
January 25th, 2013, 12:50 PM
That's pretty good. Might become the new team theme music.

Is he an halibut?

Don't be silly. He's a half-a-bee. :D

JWAJack
January 25th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Don't be silly. He's a half-a-bee. :D

Does he have a license?

mlabresh
January 25th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Our coach addresses every male swimmer as " Young Man" .... it is getting a bit more awkward now as his eyesight is going ... many of the girls ending up saying " did you mean me?"
We also have Tall Jane and Short Jane in the same lane
And too many Tonys to shake a float at.....
We have an Old Dave and a Young Dave coaching ....

Last summer, my Masters coach was named Dave and I also had a coach Dave that worked with the age group team that I swim with (with my kids). It got confusing when the kids and I would talk about swimming and I'd have to say 'my coach Dave' or 'your coach Dave' all the time.

The most common name in our Masters group is Tim. We have a few Tims, but I don't think we have any other repeats.

The age group team I swim with has some repeats. One lane that I swim in often has two Jacks. There is also another Megan, but since the coaches don't talk a lot to me, it's not confusing. The head coach mostly likes to tease the kids when they get beat by me or tease me on the breath control sets and claims I'm a 60 year old woman who smokes 2 packs a day.

swimlong
January 28th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Although it is a public pool where I swim during the lap time, all the guys seemed to have traditional names: Rob/Bob/Robert (3) Thomas (2) John (2) David (1)
The women all have "weird" names...go figure

Chris Stevenson
January 28th, 2013, 12:15 PM
There are three people named "Chris" in our workout group, though none others in my lane. I think the only other repeats are Dave/David (total of three of those).

There is another Chris Stevenson (just joined USMS I think) who swims for a different masters club in Richmond.

sunruh
January 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM
nobody because i've been in rehab for my shoulder (again) and i've had to use a 20yd pool a few times. got dizzy with all the flip turns.

starting to seriously consider another 20year retirement at this point. being injured just sucks.