PDA

View Full Version : Endurance Problems

Mandos
January 24th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Hi,
I recently made some major improvements to all my strokes. Technique wise they have all improved immensely. But at there same time my ability to maintain speed for more than a 50-75 has dropped a ton. While my times haven't gotten worse, they haven't improved at all. I'm thinking it might be a strength problem, because while the technique changes are great, I might not have the muscle mass required to make use of them.

Extra info:
Age 15 ( I didn't know of any other good swimming forums)
Favorite stroke: Butterfly
Event: 200 IM
I also run track
On a 100 fly I generally go a 25.00 on the first lap, and then go like a 39 the second. This happens on every event. I hit the proverbial wall, really hard. Should I be doing more dry land? Improving overall strength. What is the best way to do that?

Any ideas would be great

Kevin in MD
January 27th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Mandos, it's hard to offer ideas when we know very little about you and your training.

In training, endurance is usually not an issue of strength. Endurance is an issue of endurance. Since you seem to be fading on the back end of your swims, then the most direct answer would be lactate tolerance type sets. You can google "lactate tolerance" or "sp2" swimming sets and get some ideas.

These types of sets would be something like 6 x 100 on 6:00 with active rest between each swim and the swims are very hard, very close to race effort. The idea is that the swims should burn and you need to fight through that. Others would be multiple rounds of:
5 x 50 (:10 rest) also very hard looking to hold your pace from through all the swims.

The other idea is simply pacing, maybe go out in 27 and see if you can hold on better on the way back.

orca1946
January 27th, 2013, 05:20 PM
The 1st lap of any race will be much faster because of the start off the blocks. Yes ,adding workouts at the gym will help with getting stronger. Keep at it!