PDA

View Full Version : 100 Yd Freestyle Video Critique

DanSad
January 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Looking for feedback on my stroke from a recent meet. The overall time was 54.33 with splits of 26.12 and 28.21 which is about a second slower than I went at meets last year.

The video quality isn't that good but I'm the swimmer in the center of the screen just below the open lane.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7Dqbo5spAGoYTZyMnpkaHNGQTg/edit

Appreciate any comments.

The Flyer
January 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I think I was in the same heat at this meet. Correct me if I'm wrong but you were in lane 6? Your splits were pretty good. I usually aim for having my 50 splits 2 seconds apart. I think you could probably ride the glide a little bit longer after your turns and maybe add some dolphin kicks off the wall. This would lower your stroke count for the race and save more energy. As for your stroke, it looks pretty good. Some things I would maybe work on is you seem to short-arm your right arm on the entry. It was kind of hard to tell but it looked like you lift your head up some when you breath and it should be kept in a neutral position. Also, try to limit yourself from breathing every stroke on events like this. I would practice a breathing pattern you want to maintain during this race. Your kick looked good.

DanSad
January 25th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Yes I was in lane 6. What lane were you in? I've had a long history of lifting my head to breath so that comes as no surprise. It's improved quite a bit over the past year but as you've pointed out there's still some work to be done. I have practiced SDK off the walls in practice but right now my swimming is faster so I figured I'd stick with that in meets until the kicking is comparable in speed. thanks for the input.

The Flyer
January 25th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I'm in lane 2 with the green cap. I wish I would have gotten someone to record some of my swims. It's kind of hard to make improvements to your stroke without video if you practice on your own. Sdking has always been kind of frustrating for me. Some swimmers can do it so fast it looks like they have fins on.

Looking back at the heat sheet, I think we swam next to each other in the 50 free.

swimlong
January 28th, 2013, 12:17 AM
I think your stoke looks pretty darned good! I would focus on your turns...
1. go deeper on the push off, and dolphin kick like you mean it. In practice, note how far past the flags your push off gets to
2. work on streamline off the turn. Your arms are extended, but could you squeeze a few more centimetres out of your stretch? Maybe you could work on your breakout: you are pretty flat on your first stroke after the turn.
3. there is a lag before you duck into the turn. Think "fast in, fast out" as you approach the wall. Engage your core to get your legs around faster; tuck in tighter (your legs are pretty extended in the turn).

DanSad
January 28th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Swimlong - thanks for the feedback. I have heard others mention that I 'flop' my legs over on the turn and need to tuck and essentially somersault.

I'm not sure I understand your last statement in #2, what do you mean by being flat on my first stroke after the turn?

gdanner
January 28th, 2013, 02:14 PM
3. there is a lag before you duck into the turn. Think "fast in, fast out" as you approach the wall. Engage your core to get your legs around faster; tuck in tighter (your legs are pretty extended in the turn).

I agree with this statement. It looks like you have a little bit of a hitch/pause where you take a small fly kick heading into the wall. I used to do a similar thing up until college and then someone had me correct it. Eliminate that fly kick, drive right to the wall and flip.

swimlong
January 28th, 2013, 06:59 PM
From a streamline position off the turn you transition into the first stroke without rotating...if you work on stretching your streamline out, as you take your first stroke you will naturally roll more than you are now.

Water Rat
January 29th, 2013, 01:09 PM
That's some kick and great splits. I would love to have a 2 sec differential but I don't think I ever have.
The main thing I see is your too far from the wall to turn. You're almost fully extended as your feet hit the wall. This really compromises your thrust off the wall. Your last stroke should send you tumbling over in a tighter ball. Push off on your back. Toes up.
The second thing I noticed was your breathing and overall head position. Not sure which is driving which but try to maintain a stiffer head position. Smaller breathing motions would help.
Good luck.