PDA

View Full Version : Advice lapcounter watch, heartrate, perform.-details to pc?

White Shark
January 26th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Hello everyone,

Iīm looking for a waterproof sportwatch, which can do the following things:

1) Can it do an advanced pyramid-diagram with rising and descending distances like below?:
50 meter / 30 sec rest / 100 meter / 30 sec rest / 150 meter / 30 sec rest / 200 meter / 30 sec rest / 150 meter / 30 sec rest / 100 meter / 30 sec rest / 50 meter (*)

2) Counting laps
3) Total time
4) Total distance

(*) Interesting for road running, is when I can substitute the metre-distances into time (mm:ss).

Also very interesting:
5) Heartrate measuring
6) Get all the performance-details from the watch to my pc.

Although I often read that regarding to points 5) and 6) there is need for a cable. And often thatīs a problem with water. Btw: I donīt swin in salt water.

Iīve read good reviews about the Timex Ironman Sleek 150-Lap. But I wanna be sure. Does it have the features I want? Or do youīve an hint for an interesting alternative?

Kevin in MD
January 27th, 2013, 12:24 PM
There are three options in downloadable swim watches that measure distances.

Finis swimsense, garmin 910xt, and garmin swim watch. The swimovate is downloadable in a sense but the data is averages only and you can't program workouts of the sort you mention.

I THINK the garmin 910 will allow you to program workouts such as you suggest using the computer before you go to the pool.

None of those track heart rate in the water. A few years back many heart rate monitors went to a 2.4 gHz transmission that doesn't travel through water. The older monitors used 5 mHz I think and they worked in water, but none of those are A doanloadable and B measure swim distance in a pool.

White Shark
January 29th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the answer.
Iīm almost sure itīs gonna be the Finis Swimsense.

KatieK
January 29th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the answer.
Iīm almost sure itīs gonna be the Finis Swimsense.

I have a Swimsense. The functionality is good. Quality is terrible. Finis is good about sending replacements, but I think I am on my 5th replacement. Some of the replacements have failed the 1st or 2nd time out. They're not as waterproof as you might hope for a swim watch.

I've used a Polar heart rate monitor. It seems to work okay as long as the water isn't too hot. I've heard that the Finis heart rate monitor works well, but it doesn't persist any information. It just audibly tells you your heart rate every x # of seconds. I've heard that those have quality issues as well.

White Shark
January 29th, 2013, 03:53 PM
@Katiek: That doesnīt sound good...! Provisionally I cancel my plan to order a lapcounter-watch.