PDA

View Full Version : Not new to swimming... just rusty...

sok454
January 28th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hello everyone!

In the last 2.5 weeks I have gotten back into swimming. I figured we have a membership to the Y so why not go... plus my Autistic 9 y/o son is doing swim team for the first time this year and loves it.

I did competitively swim back when I has 7-9 and then continued to take lessons/teach until I was 12-13. Since that time (I am 36) I have not swam a lap. So I have a long way to go to get my stroke back.

My workouts so far have been 400y, 800y, 1200y and 800y. Each workout I have felt stronger and faster but still dog tired afterwards. I tend to do sets of 50 yds or 100 yds and primarily breast stroke.

What is a good amount of yardage for a beginning swimmer to do weekly?

I am contemplating doing a masters meet in about a month, but I want to be successful and competitive. (I ran track in college so I got the itch to compete)...

Any tips on how to get back into it?

pmccoy
January 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Sounds like a similar story to mine. I was out of swimming by age 12 and started back at age 39. Your start is about like what I did. My first day, I was exhausted after 20 lengths (500 yds). I gradually added on to that and after 6-8 weeks I was able to swim about 3500 yards non-stop. Not fast but non-stop.

Meets are a lot of fun and a good way to get in touch with other swimmers. I held my expectations low for my first meet, set a few personal times for myself and thoroughly enjoyed the event. For your second meet, you will have times to beat and new things you want to try out. Worry about expectations then.

Find a team and a coach. For me, swimming is a lot more fun with a group. I wouldn't have pushed myself nearly as hard as I do without teammates. This will also help with "what is a good amount of yardage for a beginning swimmer". Just do what everyone else is doing. Skip a lap here or there if you need rest. Substitute free for fly if you aren't comfortable doing it yet. There's a pretty big gap between beginning/rusty swimmers and masters swimmers used to daily workouts. You can bridge that gap but it takes some time. Your teammates will help and encourage you.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sport as much as I have.

sok454
January 28th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Well I hear fat floats so at least ill be easy to spot on the surface!

Sounds like a similar story to mine. I was out of swimming by age 12 and started back at age 39. Your start is about like what I did. My first day, I was exhausted after 20 lengths (500 yds). I gradually added on to that and after 6-8 weeks I was able to swim about 3500 yards non-stop. Not fast but non-stop.

Meets are a lot of fun and a good way to get in touch with other swimmers. I held my expectations low for my first meet, set a few personal times for myself and thoroughly enjoyed the event. For your second meet, you will have times to beat and new things you want to try out. Worry about expectations then.

Find a team and a coach. For me, swimming is a lot more fun with a group. I wouldn't have pushed myself nearly as hard as I do without teammates. This will also help with "what is a good amount of yardage for a beginning swimmer". Just do what everyone else is doing. Skip a lap here or there if you need rest. Substitute free for fly if you aren't comfortable doing it yet. There's a pretty big gap between beginning/rusty swimmers and masters swimmers used to daily workouts. You can bridge that gap but it takes some time. Your teammates will help and encourage you.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sport as much as I have.