PDA

View Full Version : Circle Swimming...

sok454
February 6th, 2013, 01:38 PM
So last night the last 2 lanes that are reserved for lap swimming were busier than usual. 1 lane had a HS kid doing a workout and then some rather large fella just slowly swimming. They had divided the lane into 2 and each staying on their side. No biggie.

The other lane had 3 people in it and all looked like swimmers and had been around the block. They were circle swimming. I hopped in the lane and started my 600 yd warm up. After I finished I stayed in the lane at one end to catch my breath and moved to the inside corner nearest corner of the base and lane wall. I did so thinking this would allow the remaining swimmers to drift to the center to do their flip turns and then push out and go back to the right side of the lane. Apparently I did this wrong... as I swam down to the other end I notice all 3 of the swimmers are at one end and pointing at me and obviously talking about me. Then the woman hops out of the lane and goes into the other lane and gives me the stink eye the entire time... and so does her husband/boyfriend.

Was I out of line by going to the corner and getting "small"???

knelson
February 6th, 2013, 02:37 PM
No, it seems like you did the right thing. Maybe what ticked them off is you chose the lane that already had three swimmers in it instead of the lane with two. That's my guess.

sok454
February 6th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Well the thing is it was obvious the one guy big fella was going to hamper anyone swimming in that lane. the other guy was doing obvious speed sets so I figured you know... why bother then as this lane the people are grabbing the wall after sets and talking and swimming at a fairly slow pace. I think the hubbie/wife were triathlon people judging by their builds.

Oh well. I'll just sweep the leg next time.

pmccoy
February 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Everyone has their own set of quirky rules for joining lanes. I'm usually ready for just about anything. Roger frequently shows up late and joins my lane unannounced. Dave will cut across my lane underneath me just to get in my head. I'm used to it and assume stuff like that is going to happen. Other people have rigid rules for what happens in their lane. I visited a pool once and the coach told me to join a lane where someone was already swimming. I jumped in and took off assuming he was used to team members just showing up. He wasn't and let me know about it. I apologized later and we talked for a while about other things. He was a nice guy but just didn't like surprises. Now, I make sure I establish some sort of communication or acknowledgement that I'm there before I push off.

So, I really don't know what the issue was with your swimmers but it could be anything. Best thing to do is try to communicate with everyone as soon as possible in the lane. Once you start talking, its less likely you will have problems. And if they have a laundry list of "lane rules", I'm sure they will let you know.

__steve__
February 6th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Was the couple doing non-stop freestyle the entire time?

orca1946
February 6th, 2013, 06:25 PM
That would be fine in our pool with any of our team swimmers. Maybe they liked you being in the other corner for some reason !!

jaadams1
February 6th, 2013, 06:29 PM
That would be fine in our pool with any of our team swimmers. Maybe they liked you being in the other corner for some reason !!

You've never swam during a YMCA lap swim session then, huh? 2-3 lanes, with no rules or regulations whatsoever, and you just have to live with it. People don't like circle swimming with me, but most of the time, they are the ones who joined the lane I was already in.

rxleakem
February 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I agree, even though the idea of circle swimming is almost universal, it can be implemented differently depending on your lanemates. At our local pool, it is interesting that certain swimmers will want to split or join one lane over another, almost regardless of the speed that folks are swimming or how many people are in it. Flexibility is a good thing.

sok454
February 7th, 2013, 09:36 AM
That was the thing they weren't swimming continuously either. Oh well no big deal. Last night had a old guy in a tiny speedy and long hair hop in with me and we just naturally split the lane. Same with the other 2 people in the lane next to us.

mlabresh
February 7th, 2013, 10:46 AM
The pool I swim at (unfortunately) has no lane ropes. So it's like a free for all. It gets slightly more organized with the circle swimming when we have more than two people per 'lane' (there are at least lines on the bottom). It can be very challenging at times. They usually put up a 'Slow Lane' sign at one end of the pool, and that has helped. But usually people will just split the lanes until they can't anymore and then they'll either get huffy and get out, or start circle swimming. Poor guy in the next lane accidentally grabbed my butt while he was doing backstroke last night.

Three days a week, I swim with my kids' team. We have lane ropes and I usually share a lane with 2-5 kids. My only complaint there is that they often don't follow the 5 second rule and we end up way too close to each other in the turns. But they seem to grasp the concept of circle swimming so much better than the adults I swim with!

Celestial
February 7th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Three days a week, I swim with my kids' team. We have lane ropes and I usually share a lane with 2-5 kids. My only complaint there is that they often don't follow the 5 second rule and we end up way too close to each other in the turns. But they seem to grasp the concept of circle swimming so much better than the adults I swim with!

I swim with kids too, we often have 7-8 per lane & we go a strict 10 seconds behind (LCM). SCY we often have 5-6 or more per lane, and we definitely go 5 behind, or 7-8 behind. And you're right - kids understand the concept of sharing, and circle swimming much better than the adults. Somehow when people graduate from highschool they seem to think that they should have a lane to themselves or something, and if they do have to share, it's gotta be sides. I've never had a kid look askance at me for joining their lane - adults on the other hand almost always object (unless you train with them on a regular basis - but even then, some of them just gotta have their own lane).