PDA

View Full Version : Workout Jammer vs Race Jammer?

sok454
February 7th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Do you guys utilize a different pair for workouts vs races? If so what are you guys wearing?

Allen Stark
February 7th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I wear a polyester jammer for workouts.I wear whatever I have in my swim bag of "old"racing suits (more than about 3 meets) for local meets.For taper meets I have been wearing B-70s Nero TX ,but I got an Arena carbon suit http://www.arenapowerskin.com/powerskin-carbon-pro-man/ for Nationals.

orca1946
February 7th, 2013, 05:44 PM
YEAH practice are the old ones & keep the new "tech" ones for meets!

StewartACarroll
February 7th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I have three types of jammer.

1. Polyester Speedo for training
2. Speedo Aquablade for normal meets
3. Nike Hydra3 for Nationals

Jimbosback
February 7th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Do you guys utilize a different pair for workouts vs races? If so what are you guys wearing?

Speedo Endurance or older Yingfa for practice.

New Yingfa for nationals.

sok454
February 7th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Speedo Endurance or older Yingfa for practice.

New Yingfa for nationals.
How much donut racing ones run?

swimark
February 8th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Is there a big difference between workout and race jammers? Are they much faster?

__steve__
February 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Endurance in practice and meet events that are for fun (fly, IM)

Tyr ap12 for the 50 fr

The tech suit provides a huge difference in drag, compression, body position, and placebo effect - well worth it

sunruh
February 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
i have found that a jammer wont let me keep a pull buoy in place.

and yes BIG difference between workout and race.
workout is the cheapest that fits.
race is TYR AP12 and you wouldnt want to pay for many of those!

sadly, my shoulder is in such bad shape that i'm not even training to race but just to get back to a normal lifestyle without constant pain.

Allen Stark
February 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM
i have found that a jammer wont let me keep a pull buoy in place.

and yes BIG difference between workout and race.
workout is the cheapest that fits.
race is TYR AP12 and you wouldnt want to pay for many of those!

sadly, my shoulder is in such bad shape that i'm not even training to race but just to get back to a normal lifestyle without constant pain.
I'm sorry about your shoulder. I hope it heals quickly.

sok454
February 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Heck last week I put on my first jammer vs using board shorts and man was it a huge difference. It was just a cheap jammer I got off of outlet...but wow. I think I need to order another just so it doesn't get all stretched... and i've noticed that its already starting to loosen up partial due to wear/tear and partially do to losing fat! Its always nice when you wife tells you she can tell after 11 workouts that you've lost part of your belly!

rxleakem
February 8th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I use either a speedo endurance or dolphin jammer at practice (with drag suit), and use a Yingfa for racing. Need to get a new one when George starts shipping again.

habu987
February 8th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I don't wear jammers at practice--I wear a speedo and drag suit, instead. For all non-championship meets, I wear the previous year's championship meet suit. This year, I'm wearing FSII jammers at meets. For Nats I'm trying to convince myself that this suit (http://djsports.com/Arena-White-Hot-Carbon-Pro-Jammer/) will be worth it. :banana:

knelson
February 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM
People who wear jammers at practice are weird. :)

StewartACarroll
February 9th, 2013, 05:56 PM

No Kirk, it's men who don't wear Jammers who are weird! I suspect they would get arrested for exposing themselves...

Sorry I could not resist.

ekw
February 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM

or triathletes :bolt:

sok454
February 9th, 2013, 06:00 PM
cant wait for naked practice

Allen Stark
February 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM
cant wait for naked practice
I can :afraid:

jim thornton
February 9th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I tried one of George Park's Yingfa suits as a mid-season meet suit, and I was very impressed. I got the Aquaskin, which was cheaper than most workout suits, and used it at a SCM meet this fall and got the No. 2 time in my age group in the 400 IM SCM even though I come to a virtual stop during breaststroke.

I hope to go to Nationals and will probably wear something different--an old Speedo speed suit, perhaps, or a B70, both of which I got as gifts/hand-me-downs. I think they might be marginally faster, but probably not hugely faster, than a brand new Yingfa. (These seem to be Teflon coated, and when I first wore it, the water beaded up completely. After wearing it at a number of midseason meets, the beading up is not quite so complete. Not sure it this makes it slower or not, but it does undercut the placebo effect insofar as it makes me wonder.)

I have heard that many guys really like the Tyr Tracer Lite.

I'd love to know what the consensus is for the fastest suit to $ ratio is. That Arena Carbon pro looked really nice, but I think you can buy cocaine cheaper by the oz.

knelson
February 9th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Slightly tangential, but I just got my Nike jammer for swimming 500 miles in GTD last year. I ordered a size 32 and it seems really big. Anyone else notice this?

And I should add that I think it's awesome that Nike and All American Swim Supply are providing the incentive gifts for GTD! Next year I'll just have to remember to select a smaller size.

That Guy
February 9th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Slightly tangential, but I just got my Nike jammer for swimming 500 miles in GTD last year. I ordered a size 32 and it seems really big. Anyone else notice this?

And I should add that I think it's awesome that Nike and All American Swim Supply are providing the incentive gifts for GTD! Next year I'll just have to remember to select a smaller size. I think vanity sizing is creeping into men's swimwear. I've noticed the change in some other brands too. Instead of wearing a suit that is my actual waist size for a practice suit and one size down for a competition suit, which always worked fine in the past, now I'm at one size down for a new practice suit and perhaps two sizes down the next time I buy a new competition suit. :dunno:

jaadams1
February 9th, 2013, 09:57 PM
I think vanity sizing is creeping into men's swimwear. I've noticed the change in some other brands too. Instead of wearing a suit that is my actual waist size for a practice suit and one size down for a competition suit, which always worked fine in the past, now I'm at one size down for a new practice suit and perhaps two sizes down the next time I buy a new competition suit. :dunno:

You've just been dropping too many kilograms over the past few months...that's all. :)

jaadams1
February 9th, 2013, 09:59 PM

And I should add that I think it's awesome that Nike and All American Swim Supply are providing the incentive gifts for GTD! Next year I'll just have to remember to select a smaller size.

I used my Nike GTD red brief for my last USA-S meet in Ellensburg, which was a size 30, and it seemed to fit just fine, and I had a great meet with it. Maybe it's the jammer, or maybe something else? Who really knows?

I'm also still in the hunt for a suit for Nationals. I've done everything else as far as signing up, hotel, plane, etc. Just need to get the suit. I may just stick with a new Yingfa as they are pretty good on the first couple runs as well like Jimby said above. Unless there's another cheap bang for the buck that's better.

knelson
February 9th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I used my Nike GTD red brief for my last USA-S meet in Ellensburg, which was a size 30, and it seemed to fit just fine, and I had a great meet with it. Maybe it's the jammer, or maybe something else?

Could be because I got the brief last year and it fit fine.

sok454
March 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Just thought I'd revive... everyone figure out their Nationals suits?

geochuck
March 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I allways suggest one size larger for training.

fdtotten
March 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I'd love to know what the consensus is for the fastest suit to $ ratio is.

I agree. As a novice masters competitor in championship meets, I have yet to wear jammers ever. I train and compete locally in a Speedo Endurance brief. I am reading these comments to learn more about wearing jammers at the USMS 5K OW Champs on April 27.

mcnair
March 20th, 2013, 12:54 AM
I've been wearing the speedo endurance tarzan-cut suits for practice b/c I don't like jammers most of the time; but I do like to put on the jammers for meets b/c of the extra compression on the legs, reducing drag.

Do jammers in OW make us look more like shark bait?

Mariano Mercado
March 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
I used my Nike GTD red brief for my last USA-S meet in Ellensburg, which was a size 30, and it seemed to fit just fine, and I had a great meet with it. Maybe it's the jammer, or maybe something else? Who really knows?

I'm also still in the hunt for a suit for Nationals. I've done everything else as far as signing up, hotel, plane, etc. Just need to get the suit. I may just stick with a new Yingfa as they are pretty good on the first couple runs as well like Jimby said above. Unless there's another cheap bang for the buck that's better.

Which Yingfa suit do you use for competition? I've been looking into getting one but I don't know which one to get

arthur
March 21st, 2013, 01:01 PM
Which Yingfa suit do you use for competition? I've been looking into getting one but I don't know which one to get
I have both the Yingfa #9205 and the #9402. I think the #9205 is better. The texture of the #9205 matches or is very similar to other brands of jammers that sell for $150+.

sok454
March 21st, 2013, 01:59 PM
Where did you buy your Yingfa at?

Jimbosback
March 21st, 2013, 02:48 PM
Where did you buy your Yingfa at?

http://www.yingfa.us/

I ordered my new #9205 around 11, and it was shipped by 2. Sale this week.

sok454
March 21st, 2013, 02:53 PM
How do they size? I wear a 36 in speedo endurance and iSport. But I think in the next 4 weeks I will have lost some fat as the 36's are looser than they were 2 weeks ago.

Jimbosback
March 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM
They are small -- but pretty true to the sizing chart. If you have big legs, you might want to get the bigger one, because although the waists match up with Speedo, both of my suits have skinnier legs than any Speedo I've ever worn. They are tough to get on, but comfortable once I squeeze in.

I wear a 32 or 34 Endurance and I get the XL (30-32).

sok454
March 21st, 2013, 03:28 PM
I like the fact I'm XXL/XXXL... nothing like making one want to lose weight!

ElaineK
March 21st, 2013, 03:53 PM
I have no idea why I even read this thread, but may I add my :2cents: ? I bought my ladies Yingfa here: http://www.swimdownhill.com

George provides excellent service and several other Forumites have been happy with him, as well.

sok454: I feel your pain :bighug:. I am 5'71/2" and weigh 123 pounds, however, I have to wear a XXXL :censor:. Yingfa is a Chinese company, and, as you probably know, the Chinese are tiny. I don't have a huge:mooning: , but the XXL didn't exactly cover it :afraid:. So, George exchanged it for a XXXL and covered shipping.

sok454
March 21st, 2013, 04:12 PM
Good to know that they will run a bit small. And my asst. is wondering why I have such a grin on my face... you emoticons are awesome.

fmracing
March 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM
I like the fact I'm XXL/XXXL... nothing like making one want to lose weight!

For reference my normal meet suit speedo endurance is a 36 (34 was just too tight). The 3XL yingfa is a perfect fit for me. I ordered two more for nats. So i have three yingfa suits plus my FS pro that has a handful more races left in it.

sok454
March 21st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the input. I love the "modesty" panel!

Mariano Mercado
March 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM
I have both the Yingfa #9205 and the #9402. I think the #9205 is better. The texture of the #9205 matches or is very similar to other brands of jammers that sell for $150+.

Have u had any experience with the #9102?

ElaineK
March 21st, 2013, 04:49 PM
Good to know that they will run a bit small. And my asst. is wondering why I have such a grin on my face... you emoticons are awesome.

Jim gets all the credit; he put them in the Smiley menu! :D Click on the smile icon above to see some of your choices. If you click on "More", all sorts of goodies pop up. These are my favorites: :bliss::ohyeah:

arthur
March 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Have u had any experience with the #9102?
Sorry I haven't.

Dolphin 2
March 22nd, 2013, 12:05 AM
Try wearing a Nike Python II.

It fits super tight and really irritates your legs.
You will definitely swim faster because you can't wait for the race to be over and you can take it off. :bouncing:

D2

orca1946
March 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Almost all the guys wear jammers at practice. I still like [old school] bikini speedos. OOHH ! get over it - us guys do have something in them, we were born with it!

Bill Sive
March 23rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Go easy on the guys wearing Jammers. I wear a Jammer once in a great while. 99% of the time its a swim brief. If I do wear a Jammer its a nighttime swim at an outdoor pool, or a regular swim at an indoor pool. I can do without the Hank Hill tan lines. Jammers have probably brought a lot of men, and boys, into the pool who would other wise not get anywhere near a pool if a swim brief was there only option, aside from board shorts.

Lets not forget some men who wear boardshorts to a pool, the slip them off while they swim in their swim brief. Then slip the boardshorts back on again before they get out of the pool. Those guys are hilarious. Even a few Lifeguards I know do this. It makes me laugh every time.

rxleakem
March 23rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
I have no idea why I even read this thread, but may I add my :2cents: ? I bought my ladies Yingfa here: http://www.swimdownhill.com

George provides excellent service and several other Forumites have been happy with him, as well.
:agree: Mr. Park is great to shop with and very helpful in determining the best fit.

I wear a 32 or 34 Endurance and I get the XL (30-32).
I wear a 34 and, with some effort, can squeeze into the L. :weightlifter: I'm planning on buying a 9402 (like the color choices).

Jimbosback
March 23rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
:agree: Mr. Park is great to shop with and very helpful in determining the best fit.

I wear a 34 and, with some effort, can squeeze into the L. :weightlifter: I'm planning on buying a 9402 (like the color choices).

Wow. I'd have no chance of that!

Mariano Mercado
March 24th, 2013, 09:19 PM
In case anybody is wondering about the Yingfa jammers, I emailed customer service and they said their #9402 is their newest and best model for competition.

oldmodelt
March 25th, 2013, 12:45 AM

Then call me weird.
I wear 2 old jammers that have worn out almost in different places. One of them, the oldest stretches down almost to my calves. Why pay for a dragsuit(s)? When one or both fail. I just replace with another oldsuit. They operate like one of those parachute gizmos that the swimshops sell. Then when I put on the “race” suit it feels like nothing. Which it is.

habu987
March 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Just thought I'd revive... everyone figure out their Nationals suits?

I seem to be the outlier on this thread, as I have no problems rationalizing dropping big bucks on a Nats suit, since it'll become my regular meet suit after Nats until I get a Nats suit next year and repeat the cycle.

I ordered the Arena Powerskin Carbon Pro White Hot special edition jammer (http://metroswimshop.com/product.AR_58165.htm) on 3/22. With a discount code and a leftover $75 gift card from Christmas, I got it for $285. Well, I say that's what I paid for it...but I haven't received a confirmation email yet and it hasn't cleared my bank account...

Over the approximate 12 meets I'll wear the suit at until I buy a new suit next year, that comes out to ~$25 a meet.

I haven't had any experience with Arena, as I've been a Speedo man for as long as I've bought tech suits--first Aquablade and then the FS and FSII when they came out. I'm pumped to try it out! Heh, it'll be easy to spot me at meets, too! :banana:

Dolphin 2
March 29th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Go easy on the guys wearing Jammers. I wear a Jammer once in a great while. 99% of the time its a swim brief. If I do wear a Jammer its a nighttime swim at an outdoor pool, or a regular swim at an indoor pool. I can do without the Hank Hill tan lines. Jammers have probably brought a lot of men, and boys, into the pool who would other wise not get anywhere near a pool if a swim brief was there only option, aside from board shorts.

Lets not forget some men who wear boardshorts to a pool, the slip them off while they swim in their swim brief. Then slip the boardshorts back on again before they get out of the pool. Those guys are hilarious. Even a few Lifeguards I know do this. It makes me laugh every time.

You hit the nail right on the head!!!

The whole jammer idea is really about the "Speedophobia" trend in the early 90s (and purportedly to avoid embarrassment) - and not about swimming faster. BTW, jammers really accentuate that embarassing "male anatomy" more than briefs. Just take a look in a full length mirror and you'll see what I'm talking about!!! :D

D2

Mariano Mercado
March 30th, 2013, 10:53 AM
So I just got my Yinga 9402 in the mail. Fabric looks thick and nothing like other competition suits I've worn but I will give it a try next weekend at some of the events I'm not too fond of. I'll have a more complete review of the suit after that weekend.

rxleakem
March 30th, 2013, 07:44 PM
So I just got my Yinga 9402 in the mail.
Me, too! I ordered from swimdownhill late on Monday and the new suit arrived on Thursday. Got the size L again, and after about two minutes of struggle was able to tie it on. Boy, I need to drop some weight! haha

aztimm
April 1st, 2013, 01:02 PM
I also have a Yingfa jammer that I wear for meets, but it is probably time for a new one. The first time I wore it, I think it took at least 5 min to put on. And it never seemed to go up that high in the back... But the last time I wore it, it slipped right on.
I've also ordered from George. I think we exchanged a few PM's to get the sizing correct. If I remember correctly, I got a M.
Anyway, I tried on the suit at home after I got it. I swam the 1500m in a brief then went into the locker room to change into the jammer. I dove in for the 100m free having never worn it in the water, and felt like I was swimming on/above the water.

For normal workouts, I either wear just a brief or a brief with a dragsuit over it. If I go with the dragsuit combo, and we do fast swims, I'll sometimes take off the dragsuit for the last repeat or 2 just to see + feel the difference it makes.
And I also agree on the vanity sizing thing. Not just with swimsuits, but with most slacks. I ordered a size 28 in the USMS-Nike GTD suit (a brief), and it fits perfectly. If I didn't bike and have big thighs, I'd probably fit in a small jammer too...
One of the men's magazines (either Details or Esquire) did a story on vanity sizing a few months ago...what some stores sell as a 36 waist can be as large as a real 42!