PDA

View Full Version : 100 butterfly video critique!

5MWC
February 7th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Its almost time for states and i've just missed states in the summer by .1, I just swam my final meet before taper and didn't do so well, a second off my best time 56.7. I noticed I had some bad turns but I would like some feedback on my stroke. Please criticize as much as you want because I really need the 54.99 state cut and don't want to miss out again. Here's the video, i'm in lane 4 with the red cap, I got second to a teammate in lane 6. Thanks guys :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjD37ulTMSk&feature=youtu.be

ElaineK
February 7th, 2013, 09:36 PM
I don't have a clue, because it looks awesome to me! :applaud: I would like to swim fly half that well! All I can do is offer my good luck wishes to you; I hope you make state cuts! :cheerleader:

5MWC
February 7th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Thank you very much :)

rtodd
February 7th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Don't worry about being a second off your best time. You have the conditioning going into your championship season so it is time to work on the small things to drop time during your taper. Good explosive start, good streamline and breakout, good turns, good finish. Work on refining your kickouts. Figure out what works right now in terms of how many kicks. It looked like a bit too much knee bend and you were not focusing on your core and hips in your kick. This also translates to your fly kick. It looks like a bit too much knee bend. Try keeping your feet just a bit more underwater on your big propulsive kick when your hands are exiting. Stay flatter. This is something to tweak. You looked a bit long going into your 3rd wall. That's the one you want to get right. Go for it!

5MWC
February 7th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks man thats exactly what I was looking for, a lot of my coaches mentioned it to me and i've never payed too much attention in it. However, im not sure how to not bend my knees much, should I press my chest down more or something or do I stretch my stroke out???

rtodd
February 7th, 2013, 10:39 PM
More chest press may reduce the amount of knee bend. Gotta play with it a bit. Just make a concious effort to keep only the heels from breaking the surface. To help with the chest press, remember to breathe early when the hands are exiting the water and be sure your head is back in the water looking down before your arms go in. Remember, you are just tweaking some things, not trying to reconstruct something. Get feedback, but remember to make your concerns known to your coach and talk them through.

That Guy
February 7th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Good race! And a good strong kick. Try increasing your turnover on the second 50, or at least the last 25. When others are fading, that's when you can accelerate.

jaadams1
February 8th, 2013, 01:31 AM
On your walls/turns...try to keep yourself lower to the water. It looks like you're pulling up on the turns rather than trying to get away from the wall. The wall is your enemy...touch it, drop straight back and get away from it.

Allen Stark
February 8th, 2013, 10:03 AM
You have your head too high on the start and your rear too low which decreases your power off the start.On your breakout you are lifting your head too much to breathe,especially off the last turn.I know you want to take a big breath after being underwater,but a smoother breakout will help you carry over your wall/SDK speed.