PDA

View Full Version : People who are already over 100 and 200 miles for the year?!

tigerchik
February 8th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Hi!

I joined the USMS FLOG (love the acronym...) at the end of January. I am excited about the prizes for various milestones! However, I noticed some people are already at 100 or 200 miles for the year. Holy moly! I thought I swam a lot! Are any of these people reading? Why such high yardage? How do you structure your week? Singles, doubles?

Intrigued.

Allison

That Guy
February 8th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Are any of these people reading? Once you pass the IHOP, continue for four blocks and then turn right. The pool will be on your left.

Couroboros
February 9th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I'm not a member of USMS this year yet, so I'm not on the GTD list, but as of my count, I have just passed 100 miles as of today. I am at exactly 102.7. I do about 1 to 2 doubles a week, but I'm really getting my extra yardage from Sundays. So far this year, I haven't taken off any Sundays. I have always heard from most people that Sunday should be the one "break day" of the week, but I'm actually really liking this 7-day swimming week.

However, my yardage is going to take a nosedive on Monday, because taper time begins! :ohyeah:

tigerchik
February 9th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Once you pass the IHOP, continue for four blocks and then turn right. The pool will be on your left.

huh?

jaadams1
February 9th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I swim with a USA-S age group team, and we average 5500-6500 per workout. I swim once a day, Mon-Fri, and sometimes get a Saturday practice in as well, depending on if I have to be at work for overtime. I like the OT for the $$$$, but I also like my swimming too. I'm currently at ~97 miles. Those over 200 miles for the year...who knows???

Misoyu
February 10th, 2013, 08:45 PM
There are many possible reasons for people completing so much mileage so far. I was formally a member of the La Jolla Cove Swim Club in San Diego, CA. The vast majority of those swimmers are not only USMS members, but they are also channel swimmers. Many of them will easily knock out 5 ~ 10 miles a day during their weekday swims. Then, they knock about 20+ mile swims over the weekend. Some of them will knock out the same kind of mileage in the pool when the ocean is inhospitable. I also swam 5 miles a day in the pool when I was in San Diego as a member of the 500 mile club at North Island, where I used to work. The Master's swim clubs in San Diego are intense, so you can easily put in the miles there too. I know I have mentioned the situation that I was mostly exposed to in San Diego, but I had the opportunity to meet swimmers from around the world through the La Jolla Cove Swim Club. Also, there were lots of triathletes that had to put in the mileage. Anyway, I hope some of my explanation was helpful.

ekw
February 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I know someone who is already over 100 miles for the year (he doesn't do GTD because he's not really a computer person). He does some meets and some open water, but really he just swims to swim. He just likes it for its own sake. He usually swims seven days a week. On weekdays, he gets in about 4000 yards and on weekends he frequently gets twice that or more in on both days. The part I think that is the coolest about this is that he only learned to swim about five years ago. Before that he couldn't swim a stroke.

mcnair
February 12th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I'm almost at 70 miles for the year, and would have more but I started doing meets on the weekends. Before, I would do a couple of miles 3-4 times per week, throw in a couple of 2000-yard days for recovery, and then have a big monster day where I swam 4-6 miles. The mileage racks up pretty fast when you swim 7 days/week and one of them is a long-distance day. But looking at some of the workouts on the USMS blogs (like James's, for example), my schedule seems pretty light.

jaadams1
February 13th, 2013, 01:19 AM
But looking at some of the workouts on the USMS blogs (like James's, for example), my schedule seems pretty light.

:banana:

tigerchik
February 13th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Ah, yeah I know someone in that La Jolla group. Good to know they're Channel swimmers; I had the idea that people were putting in that sort of mileage training for masters meets...

jim thornton
February 13th, 2013, 01:37 PM
The vast majority of those swimmers are not only USMS members, but they are also channel swimmers. Many of them will easily knock out 5 ~ 10 miles a day during their weekday swims. Then, they knock about 20+ mile swims over the weekend. Some of them will knock out the same kind of mileage in the pool when the ocean is inhospitable.

A 20 mile swim is 35,200 yards. To put it in more conventional pool swimming terms, this is 352 x 100s. Now let us say that some of these guys can hold this pace on 1:20 and take no bathroom breaks or stop for a sip of water or a bite of food.

352 x 100 on 1:20 would take 469.20 minutes to complete, or 7.82 hours.

There are not that many pools around here where a person can get a lane where he or she doesn't need to circle swim and swim continuously for nearly 8 hours. More power to them, and more power to your swimming facilities out there, but I must say I find this a little hard to believe.

I also find myself wondering if at least some of the more prodigious mileages posted on GTD are "guestimates" of Open Water distances and/or done in one of the Endless Pool treadmill kind of thingies where exactitude is difficult to know for certain.

This said, my friend John Kuzmkowski, in first place overall as of yesterday (John Kuzmkowski M59 ALMT 303.69) swims all his yards in the Greensburg YMCA. Moreover, he is obsessively "moral" about his counts. If he loses count, he always goes back to the previous lap count rather than assuming he's done an extra one. His longest single day yardage to date, I am fairly certain, is 17,600 yards, or merely 176 x 100. His pace is slower than 1:20--I would guess he averaged somewhere between 1:30-1:40, and I think he split it up into a morning and an evening swimming session. Assuming he stuck to the slower, 1:40 pace, he could have completed (still prodigious) amount in 4.88 hours, or a bit under two, 2-and-1/2-hour sessions that day. This strikes me as a little easier to believe.

But who knows?

Maybe our east coast swimming nutcases are less nutty than your west coast swimming nutcases?

Celestial
February 13th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I agree with you Jim! But I imagine if you swim with an age group team, like I do, and many others, that you can easily get in 6-7,000 in a single workout (about 2 hours) So I suppose that's 5 miles a day. But how many grown ups with jobs, kids and mortgages have time to train more than that? Even triathletes limit their swim time because they have to run and bike! And perhaps you're right on the second part - those California guys might be a little off their rockers! :)

ViveBene
February 13th, 2013, 07:15 PM
People who spend 2 hours a day practicing an instrument don't get asked, "Do you read?" "What do you do about work/life balance?"

knelson
February 13th, 2013, 09:42 PM
People who spend 2 hours a day practicing an instrument don't get asked, "Do you read?" "What do you do about work/life balance?"

Yeah, because most of them are professional musicians!

Misoyu
February 14th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Yes, the CA "nutcases" swim the Catalina Channel, the English Channel, the Maui Channel, etc. They love the challenge!

StewartACarroll
February 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Yes, the CA "nutcases" swim the Catalina Channel, the English Channel, the Maui Channel, etc. They love the challenge!

Assuming the miles reported are correct what is wrong with deciding to do these long distances? If people have the time and want to swim these challenges I think it's very inspiring. Let's give these true athletes some respect.

ViveBene
February 14th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Yeah, because most of them are professional musicians!

Not at all! You must be thinking of "medicine."

I will make the general point explicitly: people who decide to engage in an activity daily (especially a skill-building activity, though that is not under discussion here) and use their time efficiently in such pursuit are not nuts, psychos, skimping on their family's needs, have issues, and so forth, as this and another recent thread implied. I regret that Go the Distance should inspire such a conversation.

Assuming the miles reported are correct what is wrong with deciding to do these long distances? If people have the time and want to swim these challenges I think it's very inspiring. Let's give these true athletes some respect.

Thank you. Several Channel crossers are members of USMS and post here, though most have migrated to MarathonSwimmers.org.

habu987
February 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Just some quick calculations--let's say these top 1% folks are swimming two hours a day, seven days a week. That would conceivably be in the ballpark of 8000 yards a day (assuming they are swimming mostly free, and swimming moderate paced sets) and 56,000 yards a week. At 56,000 yards a week, that would put these folks at ~364,000 yards on the year (6.5 weeks x 56,000 yards). That comes out to ~207 miles year to date. That seems pretty achievable to me. To note, I'm not one of those folks, seeing as I'm only sitting at about 60 miles so far.

Still, going back to John K, his results seem pretty out there. He hit 200 miles on 1/30, and hit 311 on 2/13? 111 miles in 14 days? That would imply that he averaged ~13,950 yards a day. While that is certainly theoretically feasible, I personally find it a stretch to think that someone can spend 3-4 hours (or more, depending on their pace) in the pool day in and day out.

We've got an English Channel, former pro OW swimmer on our team, and a very heavy day for him tops out at around a 14,000, and he can't hit yardages like that every day. His average workout is around a 10,000, I believe. On the other end of the spectrum, the longest pool workout he's told me about was a 22,000 (10x1000, 8x1500), but he did that years ago.

Not to disparage any of the high mileage GTD swimmers, by any means! I just find it very peculiar that they can devote as much time in the pool day in and day out as their recorded distances would seem to require.

kuztoo
February 14th, 2013, 09:09 AM
so I guess you're calling me a liar? At 59 I can't compete with the likes of you "fast" swimmers and I do it to stay fit and only about 4000 yds an hour! If you don't believe me, spend a wonderful week in Greensburg Pa, a join me!
Just some quick calculations--let's say these top 1% folks are swimming two hours a day, seven days a week. That would conceivably be in the ballpark of 8000 yards a day (assuming they are swimming mostly free, and swimming moderate paced sets) and 56,000 yards a week. At 56,000 yards a week, that would put these folks at ~364,000 yards on the year (6.5 weeks x 56,000 yards). That comes out to ~207 miles year to date. That seems pretty achievable to me. To note, I'm not one of those folks, seeing as I'm only sitting at about 60 miles so far.

Still, going back to John K, his results seem pretty out there. He hit 200 miles on 1/30, and hit 311 on 2/13? 111 miles in 14 days? That would imply that he averaged ~13,950 yards a day. While that is certainly theoretically feasible, I personally find it a stretch to think that someone can spend 3-4 hours (or more, depending on their pace) in the pool day in and day out.

We've got an English Channel, former pro OW swimmer on our team, and a very heavy day for him tops out at around a 14,000, and he can't hit yardages like that every day. His average workout is around a 10,000, I believe. On the other end of the spectrum, the longest pool workout he's told me about was a 22,000 (10x1000, 8x1500), but he did that years ago.

Not to disparage any of the high mileage GTD swimmers, by any means! I just find it very peculiar that they can devote as much time in the pool day in and day out as their recorded distances would seem to require.

That Guy
February 14th, 2013, 09:14 AM
people who decide to engage in an activity daily (especially a skill-building activity, though that is not under discussion here) and use their time efficiently in such pursuit are not nuts, psychos, skimping on their family's needs, have issues, and so forth I will step up my efforts to change your mind on this! Non-sequitur directions to a pool that doesn't exist didn't do it, so I will have to come up with something better. :santa3:

That Guy
February 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM
so I guess you're calling me a liar? At 59 I can't compete with the likes of you "fast" swimmers and I do it to stay fit and only about 4000 yds an hour! If you don't believe me, spend a wonderful week in Greensburg Pa, a join me! Haters gonna hate. Keep swimming! :applaud:

aquajock
February 14th, 2013, 09:33 AM

I think it all depends on where your priorities lie. I swim an hour 4 or 5 days a week - less when it's cold out. My main goal in swimming is to enjoy it and use it as a vehicle for health, focus, mood management and quality of life. It is my "down time." In addition to swimming, I work hard at two careers, travel quite a bit, read a couple of books a week, and spend a lot of time hiking and doing activities with my family. But I admire people who work really hard to achieve goals and can put in those kind of miles. You are the ones who hit the wall before me at Nationals :)

knelson
February 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I will make the general point explicitly: people who decide to engage in an activity daily (especially a skill-building activity, though that is not under discussion here) and use their time efficiently in such pursuit are not nuts, psychos, skimping on their family's needs, have issues, and so forth, as this and another recent thread implied. I regret that Go the Distance should inspire such a conversation.

I see a couple cracks about these people being "nuts" but it all seems pretty lighthearted to me. The original question is valid and was not negative toward these "high mileage" people in any way. Just a simple question about how these people are training to rack up that kind of mileage.

And my personal feeling is most of the high mileage types are training like John K. They get in the pool nearly every day, start swimming and keep swimming for a long time. Pretty simple, really.

fatboy
February 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Kudos to all the hi-milers out there. I peronally have a hard time believing that anyone would inflate their mileage in GTD. I can't see why you would do that. When I enter my workouts it asks for time spent. It would be interesting to see this total up and listed along with the mileage in the total results.

slow
February 14th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I have respect for the high mileage swimmers. There is nothing wrong with putting your time/energy into something that is giving you a positive outcome. Keep on swimming!

And OP, I looked at results from 2012 and the top two from both 35-39 and 40-44 blogged their workouts and posted their training plans (here or elsewhere). I searched another random "high mileage" name on Google and it brought me to results from open water swims where his times looked very credible for his age group. So...the information is out there.

Celestial
February 14th, 2013, 04:13 PM
My goodness, I certainly didn't mean to sound judgemental! I can easily imagine swimming 2 1/2 hours a day - occasionally. I suppose if someone is unemployed, i.e. retired, you might have that kind of time. And stamina. However, as Jim said, to knock out 20 miles in the weekend, that means: "A 20 mile swim is 35,200 yards. To put it in more conventional pool swimming terms, this is 352 x 100s. Now let us say that some of these guys can hold this pace on 1:20 and take no bathroom breaks or stop for a sip of water or a bite of food.

352 x 100 on 1:20 would take 469.20 minutes to complete, or 7.82 hours."

Yes, I spend a lot of time reading. And swimming. But I don't swim 8 hours on a weekend, EVER. More power to you, especially if you do it on a regular basis.

pmccoy
February 14th, 2013, 05:21 PM
And OP, I looked at results from 2012 and the top two from both 35-39 and 40-44 blogged their workouts and posted their training plans (here or elsewhere).
I did blog my yardage last year but I'm pretty sure I ended up first due to the second place guy having shoulder surgery. Here are my random GTD thoughts:

* GTD is a good thing. It encourages people to swim and try to swim more. Some people might take it overboard but I have no idea what their situation is so I'm assuming everyone is fitting in what is best for them.
* There was no prize van that showed up Jan 1st this year after I finished first in the men's 40-44 age division. I had to throw my own pretend celebration. It was awesome.
* GTD is about the free swimsuit at 500 miles. I'm cheap. I like free stuff. The rest of the miles are gravy.
* In regards to the free Nike swimsuit - Attention TYR, Speedo, etc... I have NOT worn my Nike suit yet. There's still time to sign me to a sponsorship deal. I have a meet this weekend so now would be a good time to work something out.... seriously... call me!
* Swimming 800 miles last year did not make me fast. I'm a little faster than last year but I probably could have obtained the same results with 700 or 600 miles. A lot of people my age are a lot faster than I am with far fewer miles logged.
* I like the yardage I do. I begged my parents to let me swim on a year round team when I was a kid. They didn't let me for good reason. For one, I was slow. For another, I begged to do a zillion other things as well. Shame on them for not deciphering the one true thing that I "really" wanted to do. I have childhood issues. Swimming helps.

fatboy
February 14th, 2013, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=pmccoy;282505I had to throw my own pretend celebration. It was awesome.[/QUOTE]
I just pretended I was there. it WAS awesome!!!

That Guy
February 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I just pretended I was there. it WAS awesome!!! I just imagined that you guys didn't invite me. :cry:

ekw
February 14th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I just imagined that you guys didn't invite me. :cry:

Look on the bright side - at least you don't have the imaginary hangover I do! :eek:

tigerchik
February 14th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I have respect for anyone swimming that much for sure. I am merely curious about their training schedules and what they're training for!

tigerchik
February 14th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I
* GTD is about the free swimsuit at 500 miles. I'm cheap. I like free stuff. The rest of the miles are gravy.

Oh, I definitely joined the challenge for the prizes!

mcnair
February 14th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Dude! Like Pete's pretend celebration was the most awesome E-ver... Are we doing it again next year? At midnight on Dec. 31, I donned my GTD swim cap and hit the noise makers and fireworks pretty hard... my ears are still ringing; oh, wait, that's not pretend... uh-oh.

mcnair
February 14th, 2013, 10:30 PM
have respect for anyone swimming that much for sure. I am merely curious about their training schedules and what they're training for!

I'm just training to make sure that I don't drown if I ever fall off a boat in the middle of the ocean and have to swim 10 miles to the nearest island... if I could do the ten miles as IM, well, that just gives me a better chance, right?

Saturday's workout will be 5 x thru (5 x 200 free + 400 IM)--not including warm-up and cool-down.

jaadams1
February 15th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Saturday's workout will be 5 x thru (5 x 200 free + 400 IM)--not including warm-up and cool-down.

Wow! More power to ya!! I just couldn't see myself doing that, especially in a solo setting. I'm sure I could complete it, but it would hurt on my intervals. And I honestly doubt my age group coach would ever assign us anything like that either.

Misoyu
February 15th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Yes, I agree. I support them fully. I did not want to swim that far, so I just joined a Catalina Channel Relay. I was also a support crew member on a solo Catalina Channel Crossing. My channel swimming friends are awesome :)

mcnair
February 15th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Wow! More power to ya!! I just couldn't see myself doing that, especially in a solo setting. I'm sure I could complete it, but it would hurt on my intervals. And I honestly doubt my age group coach would ever assign us anything like that either.

It'll be a total torture fest, but I'm not doing all the 200s free; my sets will be 5 x 200 free, 5 x 200 back, 5 x 200 breast, 5 x 200 back, 5 x 200 free. The intervals will be 3:30 for free, 4:00 for back and 4:15 for breast. Which is pretty short rest (:15-:25) when I'm swimming LT pace.

lefty
February 15th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Kudos to all the hi-milers out there. I peronally have a hard time believing that anyone would inflate their mileage in GTD. I can't see why you would do that. When I enter my workouts it asks for time spent. It would be interesting to see this total up and listed along with the mileage in the total results.

That is really nice of you. I on the other hand think the exact opposite. People cheat all the time for reasons only they can understand. This has nothing to do with GTD, just my observation...

kuztoo
February 15th, 2013, 11:53 AM
That is really nice of you. I on the other hand think the exact opposite. People cheat all the time for reasons only they can understand. This has nothing to do with GTD, just my observation...
Then I offer you the same, come and swim with me and see if I cheat or if you're capable of swimming my distances!

mlabresh
February 15th, 2013, 12:08 PM
It'll be a total torture fest, but I'm not doing all the 200s free; my sets will be 5 x 200 free, 5 x 200 back, 5 x 200 breast, 5 x 200 back, 5 x 200 free. The intervals will be 3:30 for free, 4:00 for back and 4:15 for breast. Which is pretty short rest (:15-:25) when I'm swimming LT pace.

What? no 5 x 200 fly? Come on! Live a little. ;)

Seriously though, that's a crazy awesome set. Good luck and have fun!

Karlene
February 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
John, I'm not sure that comment was directed at you. And people do cheat. During the early 90's there was a woman in my age group who would kick butt on the hour and 10K postals. But her pace per 100 on the hour swim was faster than her documented 500 free time and her pace on the 10K was faster than her documented 1,500 time. What satisfaction she derived from her victories and records is an alien concept to many of us. I am curious about your training. Do you split up your daily yardage or are you swimming it all in one workout? Are you primarily grinding out yards or do you do specific interval training? All free or a mix of strokes? Do you take any days off? And are you retired/working part time or are you fitting your swimming into full work day? At the intensity that I swim, the most I can manage in 4000-4500 meters five times per week. But hats off to you!

kuztoo
February 15th, 2013, 12:43 PM
John, I'm not sure that comment was directed at you. And people do cheat. During the early 90's there was a woman in my age group who would kick butt on the hour and 10K postals. But her pace per 100 on the hour swim was faster than her documented 500 free time and her pace on the 10K was faster than her documented 1,500 time. What satisfaction she derived from her victories and records is an alien concept to many of us. I am curious about your training. Do you split up your daily yardage or are you swimming it all in one workout? Are you primarily grinding out yards or do you do specific interval training? All free or a mix of strokes? Do you take any days off? And are you retired/working part time or are you fitting your swimming into full work day? At the intensity that I swim, the most I can manage in 4000-4500 meters five times per week. But hats off to you!... Respectfully, I'm training to do the swim around Key West, I'm also in the position (business owner) that I can spend 3-4 hours in the pool (however twice a day, no days off ), and on Saturdays only 3 hours straight. Last year I was the straggler to Tim Martin at a lowly 1700 miles to his 2000 plus. If I was a cheater I would have beat him, but who would I be kidding?... at 59 I've no need to cheat, and I guarantee you at the end of the year I won't be in first place!

jim thornton
February 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM

As the poster who first used the term "nutcase" here, as in "our nutcases vs. your nutcases", I sincerely meant this in a jocular tone.

A teammate here in Western PA, for what it's worth, did coin a phrase to describe my manner: "inappropriate jocularity." Oh, the sting of recognition!

The point being that I am no stranger to my words being construed (not necessarily miscontrued, which implies the recipient, not the sender, is at fault!) in a way that is different from my intent.

Lord knows I have suffered sufficient pyschiatric woes of multiple varieties that I'd never want to use "nut" in a stigmatizing fashion!

Moreover, I know for certain that John K's yards are as sound as the pound.

All this said, whenever you get to the extremes of any Bell-Shaped Distribution of human performance, you are--by definition--entering the realm of the abnormal. This doesn't mean there's anything wrong, but it doesn't mean that everything is 100 percent guaranteed to be wonderful, inspirational, and the like.

The world's tallest person. The world's smartest person. The world's fastest backwards runner. The world's richest person.

I would argue that extreme accomplishment and/or extreme physiological attributes increase the odds (though doesn't guarantee it) of some compensatory abnormality in other aspects of that person's life.

My first comment was in response that some OW swimmers, when the ocean proves inhospitable, will pop off a 20-mile swim in the pool. I still think this is fishy, so to speak--not that it's impossible to do, for surely it is. But that a person who would do this regularly is, by necessity, allocating less of his or her resources to other life demands, upping the odds (though again not guaranteeing it) of a somewhat unbalanced life.

I think if you were to ask John K., he would freely concede a tincture of obsessiveness in his nature, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a thing.

Karlene
February 15th, 2013, 01:52 PM
... Respectfully, I'm training to do the swim around Key West, I'm also in the position (business owner) that I can spend 3-4 hours in the pool (however twice a day, no days off ), and on Saturdays only 3 hours straight. Last year I was the straggler to Tim Martin at a lowly 1700 miles to his 2000 plus. If I was a cheater I would have beat him, but who would I be kidding?... at 59 I've no need to cheat, and I guarantee you at the end of the year I won't be in first place!

John, good luck with your training for Key West. With this much yardage built up you should have a great swim.

kuztoo
February 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM
John, good luck with your training for Key West. With this much yardage built up you should have a great swim.
Thank you Karlene, I work really hard , and what Jim Thornton stated about obsessiveness, he is 100 percent correct! I won't lie, I'm not as fast as Jim (I can only do a 21 minute 1650 to his 18 minute), but I'm able to keep a solid pace long term. Swimming the 100 yd freestyle is not as fast as it once was, but hey... It is what is! My goal is to stay somewhat fit, and still fit into my 34 jeans! Ok it's vanity! Hell I don't look a day over 58 and I'm all of 59!

__steve__
February 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM
My shoulders are barely happy at my current pace of <40 miles for the year. As for those who log 5 to 10 x my distance, I admire your passion and respect your durability The average person probably spends more time in front of a TV then they do in the water

mcnair
February 15th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I was just checking my own mileage for the month and the time I've spent in the water to compare with last year and found some interesting results along the lines of this discussion... last May was my highest mileage month to date: 62.6 miles. That's about 10 x 10K. I swam 27 sessions and averaged 2.3 miles and 1 hour, 15 minutes per session. Even with my super slow times, this is not a tremendous time investment to be sure; I don't know if it counts as obsessive (my wife would beg to differ probably). Nonetheless, most of my non-swimming acquaintances (and some of the swimmers too) call me nuts. So, I have an hour and a quarter less television time 27 times a month--I missed 68 episodes of "The Office"! I think I'll live... and hopefully a longer, higher quality life as a result. Maybe if I could stop watching documentaries and classic movies on Netflix, I could swim the Channel!

ElaineK
February 15th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I have childhood issues. Swimming helps.
:bighug: I'll give you a real one this weekend; especially after you realize Nike won't be showing up to Auburn. :sad:

ElaineK
February 15th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Look on the bright side - at least you don't have the imaginary hangover I do! :eek:

Ah, geeez, ekw; you need to start working on that imagination of yours! :agree: Surely, you can imagine something better than that! :afraid:

ElaineK
February 15th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I'm at 60 miles for the year; on pace for my goal of 475 miles. Since joining USMS in 2010 and setting a goal of 250 miles for the year, I have increased (and surpassed) my goal each year. But, I think I have reached the maximum of what my body :cane: can handle. Like Chris Stevenson, I need to taper for multiple meets each year. For me, it has become a necessity to avoid new repetitive stress injuries and preventing old non-swimming AND swimming injuries from coming back to haunt me. Once again, I'm walking (or swimming) a fine line with breaststroke and trying to keep my leg healthy.

My coach has declared me a "distance swimmer", better suited for distance events than sprint. I just hope my body can live up to the title as I train for Mission Viejo Nats.!

On Tuesday, I have a PT apt./ evaluation with Skippy Mattson, a competitive USMS swimmer, based in Atlanta. I have a feeling I'm going to really need it after a full slate of events (8, including 200 fly, 400 IM, 200 breast, and 500 free) and four relays at Auburn! :bolt:

mcnair
February 15th, 2013, 06:05 PM
What? no 5 x 200 fly? Come on! Live a little. ;)

Seriously though, that's a crazy awesome set. Good luck and have fun!

I'll be lucky to make it through the 100 fly in those 400 IMs; but maybe some day!

tigerchik
February 15th, 2013, 09:34 PM
http://forums.usms.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by fatboy http://forums.usms.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
(http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=282478#post282478)Kudos to all the hi-milers out there. I peronally have a hard time believing that anyone would inflate their mileage in GTD. I can't see why you would do that. When I enter my workouts it asks for time spent. It would be interesting to see this total up and listed along with the mileage in the total results.

That might work - I supposed it would help if the total time seemed way too fast for the yardage. I compute time by multipying 1 min 30 sec per 100 yards, as my fast sets are 1:10-1:15/100 and my kicking is slow, so I reason 1:30 is a good time. I think some people (and I am thinking of my triathlon forum) "inflate" their time by putting whatever amt of time they were in the pool... so if they did 6 x 100 on 4:00 they'd call it 24 min, nto add up the splits for the 100s. Of course some of those people seem to log every single down dog as a separate workout

Allen Stark
February 15th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I think it's great for people who want to to set goals of 1000 mi/yr or what ever,or setting a goal to swim the channel etc.Anything that gets you moving is better than sitting still.I personally have some problems with my own relationship to GTD. My goal is basically to swim breaststroke faster than last year.(That is my goal every year,since I am getting older I obviously don't succeed frequently.)To do this I need to do a fair amount of HIT with longer rest intervals. That's fine except for the voice in my head that says if I swam less intensely i could go on shorter intervals and add to my GTD. Why go for the mesh bag when you could go for the swimsuit(at the expense of a faster 100 BR in my case.)

__steve__
February 16th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Last year I was excited to get my mesh bag in the mail, it arrived two days prior to Christmas. It also provided something to laugh about during future seasons. When it came in the mail my wife was like "Hmm, what's that?" I said I believe it's a prize for swimming 250 miles. It's not a Christmas gift, I can open it NOW! When I opened it, I pulled out a mesh bag. My wife looked shocked which I thought was strange. Well, on Christmas morning when it's my turn to empty the stockings contents, guess what I find? Another identical mesh bag! What are the chances of that?

Having two of them turned out to be convenient.

chaos
February 16th, 2013, 12:51 PM
JUst broke 100 miles for the 2013 calendar year...
Since 2009, Iíve tried to keep my average weekly yardage between 30,000 and 40,000. Due to new pool scheduling, my access to multi-hour swim sessions is reduced, so I have been hitting the yoga studio 3-4 times/week and getting a bunch of back-country skiing in while the snow lasts. Iím excited for my first ski race next weekend http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-activities-events/calendar/sgb/ussma-sugarbush-mad-river-glen-randonnee-race-6262
should be epic!
Iíve found that yoga and x-c skiing leave my shoulders and upper body more fatigued than big yardage swim sessions. I donít expect that this reduced swim load will have a negative effect on my ability to go long... I have a 22 mile swim planned for the last week of March in the Bahamas and will be swimming the SCAR series in May... but my ďsprintĒ speed has suffered.

StewartACarroll
February 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM
My wife looked shocked which I thought was strange. Well, on Christmas morning when it's my turn to empty the stockings contents, guess what I find? Another identical mesh bag! What are the chances of that?

That is so funny. I would have said the chances were next to zero. It was a nice gift from your wife though.

__steve__
February 16th, 2013, 06:46 PM
That is so funny. I would have said the chances were next to zero. It was a nice gift from your wife though.Yep:)

I’ve found that yoga and x-c skiing leave my shoulders and upper body more fatigued than big yardage swim sessions. Arm support poses can definately be brutal on the shoulders for me too

Good luck on the ski event

smontanaro
February 16th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I’ve found that yoga and x-c skiing leave my shoulders and upper body more fatigued than big yardage swim sessions.

Ellen and I attended our first yoga class ever (well, my first class ever) last Sunday. That downward dog, yow! That was tough on my skinny arms!

jackback
March 3rd, 2013, 12:35 PM
This thread started almost 4 weeks ago with the thought that 100 to 200 miles was a lot. I noticed today in the FLOG there is a gal, Ivana G, that has as of yesterday has 614 miles logged. That is a lot of miles ! 61 straight days of 10 miles+ per day, greater than 17,000 yds per day. I'm a pool swimmer and have 160 miles but 614 miles is just mind numbing. That lady must have some hall of fame shoulders !!!

tigerchik
March 5th, 2013, 02:26 PM
holy moly
I am inching closer (yard-ing closer?) to 100 miles for the year. Would have hit it by now but have been taking advantage of nice cycling weather.

jackback
March 5th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Never mind ! my post on 3/3 mentioned an Ivana G with 614 miles and as of today her name is not listed. Musta been a typo.

orca1946
March 6th, 2013, 12:22 AM
5 to 10 miles per day ???? holy bat man !!!! My shoulders hurt just typing it !!!!!

tigerchik
March 11th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I finally hit 100 miles for the year in this morning's workout.
The log says there are two swimmers at 400 miles for the year. Ummm.

poolraat
March 11th, 2013, 04:22 PM
5 to 10 miles per day ???? holy bat man !!!! My shoulders hurt just typing it !!!!!
Same here! If I get 2 miles in a day, it's a good day for me.

__steve__
March 12th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Been considering keeping tract of 50 race pace milage (@ 4.154 mph). Goal should be around 15 miles a year

tigerchik
March 13th, 2013, 06:34 PM
About when does one receive prizes in the mail? I hit 50 miles last month and am expecting a cap to arrive sometime. I'm super excited, as this is sort of the adult version of a cereal box toy!!!

ElaineK
March 14th, 2013, 04:17 AM
About when does one receive prizes in the mail? I hit 50 miles last month and am expecting a cap to arrive sometime. I'm super excited, as this is sort of the adult version of a cereal box toy!!!

:D Yeah, they are kind of cool! I am currently wearing my 50 mile cap from last year. It's turning beige and the "50 miles" is wearing off, but it makes me smile every time I put it on. I'll wear it until it rips! :banana:

Don't expect lightning speed on the delivery of your prizes. But, they will show up one day and put a :D on your face! By the way, I am at 96 miles, so my cap should be arriving sometime in the not-too-distant future, as well.

mcnair
March 14th, 2013, 07:15 PM

They are cool... love prizes! It might take a while to process, but it will show up, like Elaine says. At the end of the year take a big permanent marker to it, cross out the 50, and put your total for the year. You'll earn another one next year and be able to start all over again.

jm7034
March 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I'm super excited too! This is the first time I've participated, and I hit my 50 milestone last month. Looking forward to the next one.

debgort
March 14th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I am doing theGTD and currently have 111 miles logged in. I swim 3,000-4,500 on the weekdaysand 5,000 on the weekends. I usually make it to the pool 5-6 times a week andsometime all 7 days depending on how my work days are going. Once or twice aweek I will do a double. It takes discipline and commitment. I work full-itme as a pediatric nurse practitioner in a clinic.

ElaineK
March 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I hit 100 miles today. :groovy:

tigerchik
March 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM
congrats, E! :applaud:

knelson
March 16th, 2013, 01:32 AM

Me too! Finally! I'm about 11 or 12 miles off my goal pace right now. Plenty of time to make it up, though.

mlabresh
March 16th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Way to go! :applaud:

I'm supposed to be at 100... but I'm about 15mi behind right now. I'm sure I'll get caught up easily during summer season when I do 2 a days, but I was doing so much better until my husband broke his ankle and I missed a bunch of days! :bitching:

ElaineK
March 16th, 2013, 05:37 PM
congrats, E! :applaud:

Thanks, tiger! :D

Me too! Finally! I'm about 11 or 12 miles off my goal pace right now. Plenty of time to make it up, though.

Congratulations, Kirk! And, congratulations on your Top 10's! :applaud:

Bill Sive
April 27th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I hit 200 miles earlier this week. I am at 204 miles as of today. Hooray! I am on track for my 50 miles per month.

__steve__
April 28th, 2013, 07:28 AM
:D97 miles

tigerchik
May 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Hit 150 miles on Tuesday and swam 7000 yds this morning.
Some people have like 750 miles logged :P

Bill Sive
May 22nd, 2013, 12:39 AM
Swam 2.17 miles tonight. My total for the year so far is 251 miles. Still on track for my 50 miles per month.

Debugger
May 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Some people have like 750 miles logged :P
OMG! They should check perhaps they've got fins and gills already! :bolt:
Hit 215 miles today and my avg. workout is 2.2 - 2.4 miles

orca1946
May 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
Do you also worry about the neighbors putting the garbage cans out too early?? or their bushes needing to be trimmed?
Believe what you want but be true to yourself!

Debugger
May 22nd, 2013, 02:48 PM
Don't take it seriously, I'm just kidding.

tigerchik
May 25th, 2013, 02:53 PM
OMG! They should check perhaps they've got fins and gills already! :bolt:
Hit 215 miles today and my avg. workout is 2.2 - 2.4 miles

There is a difference between hitting 215 miles at the end of May, and hitting 200 miles at the beginning of February when I started the thread.

smontanaro
May 25th, 2013, 05:13 PM
There is a difference between hitting 215 miles at the end of May, and hitting 200 miles at the beginning of February when I started the thread.

Or like me, hitting 50 miles this past week. :)

orca1946
May 25th, 2013, 09:15 PM
All this talk reminds me back when I had a running streak of 5 1/2 years without a day off-outside in all types weather ! It ended the day I had my knee scoped!!

__steve__
May 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM
No wonder you have bionic hips

orca1946
May 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM
My yards go down after inside pool season is over!

tigerchik
May 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I hit 200 miles this morning!!!

mcnair
June 3rd, 2013, 05:50 PM
I hit 200 miles this morning!!!

Nice!

I'm at 232 and counting as of today... playing tag with the "you'll need to pick up the pace" warning on my GTD FLOG.

Bill Sive
June 20th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Jan 55.74 miles (=98,097 yards, =89,700 meters)
Feb 46.53 miles (=81,892 yards, =74,882 meters)
Mar 49.80 miles (=87,642 yards, =80,140 meters)
Apr 57.23 miles (=100,722 yards, =92,100 meters)
May 59.56 miles (=104,829 yards, =95,856 meters)
Jun 31.38 miles (=55,227 yards, =50,500 meters)
Total 300.23 miles (=528,410 yards, =483,178 meters)

Hit the 300 mile mark tonight. Felt reel good when I completed it.

Bill Sive
October 31st, 2013, 11:04 AM
Hit 500 miles earlier this month (10-08-13). Hit the 500 miles three weeks earlier than last year.
Received my new swimsuit compliments of Nike and USMS yesterday. Thank you very much!

Jun 55.61 miles (=97,878 yards, =89,500 meters)
Jul 59.01 miles (=103,849 yards, =94,960 meters)
Aug 52.13 miles (=91,754 yards, =83,900 meters)
Sep 52.51 miles (=92,410 yards, =84,500 meters)
Oct 40.76 miles (=71,741 yards, =65,600 meters)
Total 528.87 miles (=930,815 yards, =851,138 meters)

orca1946
October 31st, 2013, 02:41 PM
I was at 243 when I had a really big hip operation. That ended my swimming for the year!!!! I can't walk with any weight on my right leg/hip toll Jan. 10th or so !!!

__steve__
October 31st, 2013, 04:07 PM
I was at 243 when I had a really big hip operation. That ended my swimming for the year!!!! I can't walk with any weight on my right leg/hip toll Jan. 10th or so !!!
You're off for the season and still ahead of me (237).

fatboy
November 1st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Got me beat too OZ !!!(orca).

I just hit 210 this week and am happy to be on track for my goal of 250 for the year!

Debugger
November 2nd, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hit 500 miles earlier this month (10-08-13). Hit the 500 miles three weeks earlier than last year.
Received my new swimsuit compliments of Nike and USMS yesterday. Thank you very much!

Jun 55.61 miles (=97,878 yards, =89,500 meters)
Jul 59.01 miles (=103,849 yards, =94,960 meters)
Aug 52.13 miles (=91,754 yards, =83,900 meters)
Sep 52.51 miles (=92,410 yards, =84,500 meters)
Oct 40.76 miles (=71,741 yards, =65,600 meters)
Total 528.87 miles (=930,815 yards, =851,138 meters)

Hey Bill, very impressive printout. You inspired me to make same printout of my mileage as you did - it's very visual though not as impressive as yours.

Jan 42.999 miles (=75,678 yards, =69,200 meters)
Feb 45.733 miles (=80,490 yards, =73,600 meters)
Mar 44.77 miles (=78,795 yards, =72,050 meters)
Apr 40.016 miles (=70,429 yards, =64,400 meters)
May 58.409 miles (=102,800 yards, =94,000 meters)
Jun 40.638 miles (=71,522 yards, =65,400 meters)
Jul 56.483 miles (=99,409 yards, =90,900 meters)
Aug 46.851 miles (=82,458 yards, =75,400 meters)
Sep 13.546 miles (=23,841 yards, =21,800 meters)
Oct 53.686 miles (=94,488 yards, =86,400 meters)
Nov 3.79 miles (=6,671 yards, =6,100 meters)
Total: 446.921 miles (=786,581 yards, =719,250 meters)

__steve__
November 3rd, 2013, 07:46 AM
Also very impressive is Franks GTD stats. He's way up there with the ultramarathonites, yet at times portions of his workouts are done at a sprinters pace, blasting down LCM sub 30's.

swim365
November 4th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Ya, you need to do a 5 x 200 fly set to even the set out. I've done many sets like that several times except I'm more prone to do 5 x (200 free/breast/back/fly/IM/IM kick/free pull) so that I get variety on each 200 but still total 7000 yd/m.

knelson
November 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I just passed 400 miles a couple days ago. My original goal of 550 miles just isn't going to happen. 500 is my new goal and it should be attainable with a full court press for the remaining few weeks of the year!

Celestial
November 8th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Not going to reach my original goal either. Unfortunately I figured this out mid-summer. Why is it 500 seems so easy year after year, but 622 continues to elude me? Oh yeah. Chronic injuries and life outside of swimming. Oh well :)

ElaineK
November 8th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Not going to reach my original goal either. Unfortunately I figured this out mid-summer. Why is it 500 seems so easy year after year, but 622 continues to elude me? Oh yeah. Chronic injuries and life outside of swimming. Oh well :)

Same with me. Last year, I beat my goal and hit 454 miles for the year, so I set 475 as my goal for this year. Injuries were a wake up call for me to lighten up on the yardage, however, so I backed my goal off to 425. I am currently at 377 miles and have no plans to revise my goal back up. If anything, an extra day off here and there is in order.

After Nationals, I went to visit the surgeon who operated on me ten years ago and received a stern lecture after the hugs and fun talk. If he has his way, my days of mega yardage and 2,000 yards of continuous butterfly are over if I plan to swim into old age.

jaadams1
November 12th, 2013, 03:38 AM
I just passed 400 miles a couple days ago. My original goal of 550 miles just isn't going to happen. 500 is my new goal and it should be attainable with a full court press for the remaining few weeks of the year!
I originally had something higher as well, but with dropping from the USAS swimming, I'm gonna barely make it to 500...I hope. This next month may be pretty scarce for me in the pool. It's a good thing I had a reserve built up to try to get my Nike suit. I'm still 30 or so miles away...which sounds easy, but it may not be either.

knelson
November 12th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I'm still 30 or so miles away...which sounds easy, but it may not be either.

I like your chances better than mine! I still need another 87 miles. How many days are left in the year? Uh oh...

flystorms
November 13th, 2013, 10:12 AM
This is my first full year with Master's and am loving it. Set a goal for 300 thinking it'd be reasonable. Looks like I'll hit it by the end of this month. Hope to go for a higher number next year now that I know it's do-able and I have different goals for next year. This is has been a lot of fun.

Sort of off topic - who has some of the more thoughtful/fun/interesting blogs here?

tigerchik
December 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I hit 350 miles this morning. Trying to get 365 for the year... was aiming for 500 but didn't swim all summer :afraid:

WaterRat
December 26th, 2013, 03:57 PM

Celestial, I'm curious regarding the significance of 622?

I made my 500 mile goal earlier this month. Certainly, helped not taking the summer off.

My goal for next year is 569 = 1,000,000 yards

ElaineK
December 26th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I hit my (revised) goal of 425 on Christmas Eve. :wiggle: My original goal was 475 figuring I could make it after hitting 454 last year. After a lecture from my surgeon after Nationals, however, I revised it down at his recommendation. I think I'll stick with 425 again for 2014, as long as I there are no new physical developments to add to the growing list! :afraid:

knelson
December 27th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Celestial, I'm curious regarding the significance of 622?

1000 km

suphillips
December 27th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I should go past my million meter (621.4 mi) goal tomorrow morning. I'm so excited I'm just about giddy. What should I do when I hit it?!?

knelson
December 28th, 2013, 01:31 AM
What should I do when I hit it?!?

Cannonball from the 3 meter springboard. :)

fatboy
December 29th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Made my goal of 250 miles this morning!

ekw
December 30th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Cannonball from the 3 meter springboard. :)

Or a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDMMYT3vkTk!

orca1946
January 1st, 2014, 01:07 PM
9 months total = 253 miles when hip surgery put a stop to all swimming for the year.
May 2014 be better for me & all of you as well.

jackback
January 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
Made 750 miles yesterday ... 1st summer that i've ever seriously swam, including back in the day in college ... its back to sailing again this summer so i'll be adjusting down to 500 miles (do like the free suit) ... i spent 434 hrs in the pool ... somebody's FLOG was 2200 miles ...think of that, its probably 1200 hrs of pool time ... 100hrs/month 25hrs/week ... that is simply amazing !... literally "bless his heart" !

Celestial
January 11th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I should go past my million meter (621.4 mi) goal tomorrow morning. I'm so excited I'm just about giddy. What should I do when I hit it?!?
Most impressive! I put that as my original goal this year & had to pull back when I injured my shoulder and lost my mojo. This year I'm going to try for something between my 500 miles and a million meters -- a million YARDS!

robertsrobson
January 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM
It never crossed my mind that people might have a distance goal, until reading this thread. After doing so, I still can't imagine having one.

knelson
January 17th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Just noticed this:
Swimmers who have achieved the 100 miles milestone (1):

Date Swimmer Age Club
01/14 John Kuzmkowski M60 ALMT

Wow! Impressive swimming, John. If he swam all 14 days of the year so far that's an average of better than 12k (yards) per day!

smontanaro
January 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Impressive swimming, John. If he swam all 14 days of the year so far that's an average of better than 12k (yards) per day!

I'm reading Born to Run right now. I recommend it to anybody who loves distance, whether you're a swimmer, runner, cyclist, triathlete, or other ultra-distance athlete.

Introducing Ann Trason, one of many ultra runners in the book, the author writes

It wasn't long before she was defusing stress in advance by jogging the nine miles to the lab each morning. And once she realized that her legs were fresh again by punch-out time, she began running back home again as well. Oh, and what the heck; as long as she was racking up eighteen miles a day during the workweek, it was no big deal to unwind on a lazy Saturday with twenty at a pop...

... or twenty-five ...

... or thirty ...

One Saturday, Ann got up early and ran twenty miles. She relaxed over breakfast, then headed back out for twenty more. She had some plumbing chores around the house, so after finishing run No. 2, she hauled out her toolbox and got to work. By the end of the day, she was pretty pleased with herself; she'd run forty miles and taken care of a messy job on her own. So as a reward, she treated herself to another fifteen miles.