PDA

View Full Version : Son's swim meet observation/story

sok454
February 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM
So my 9 y/o son, who is high function Autistic and the reason I decided to start swimming again 4 weeks ago, had just his second meet this past weekend. He started swimming with one of the local teams 4-6 months ago. Since his first meet in December he has dropped 3 seconds from his 50 free, 10 seconds on his 50 back and 3 seconds off his 100 IM. Now he is still one of the slowest kids out there but it was great to see how much better his stroke has become. In just a month he looks so much stronger in his breast and back. He just learned fly about a month ago so its a work in progress. The one problem he has is he has no sense of urgency. What I mean is he doesn't try to go as fast as he can... he just likes to swim along. He is very tall for his age and strong with long arms so I think he could be a great swimmer. Another issue is he likes to watch the other swimmers instead of focusing on his own race! And you should see his turns! He likes to grab the wall and then look around then turn and go! I laugh everytime he does it.

Please don't take this as me being critical of my son... because you should have seen his face when he came back from last place in his heat of the IM on the final 35 yds to overtake a kid...when he got done he came running up and was like... DAD did you see that!?!?!?!!? I caught that kid! I am even more proud of how he didin his 50 fr (the race I really wanted to see as I thi nk he could have gotten his time down into the 30's). When he dove in his goggles got pushed off his face and were across his mouth... instead of giving up and stopping.... he swam with his head up the whole race and was only 10 seconds slower than his fastest time... I was so proud at how her persevered...
Another cool story was I had the chance to talk to a family on our team whose daughter was invited to the olympic trials last summer before her frosh year. This year as a frosh she won the ILL HS 200y free and was 3rd in the 500 fr. Funny is she is from a tiny town outside of Bloomington. Was cool to hear the stories her parents had and to see how proud they are of her and how motivated their daughter is.

Boomerang
February 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Great story about your son! Swimming touches on so many levels.

rtodd
February 11th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Great story. Don't worry my son is 11 and is in his 3rd year of swimming and got DQ'd because he got on the blocks instead of in the water for the start of the 100 back. They didn't hold up the start to fix it. We all got a good laugh watching him figure out what went wrong. And it was the fourth heat, so he should have been paying more attention.

That Guy
February 11th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Last Masters meet I attended, I was near the blocks cheering for some friends who were on a mixed medley relay. After the start of the race and the backstroker was halfway down the pool, they got into a lively debate about whether fly or breaststroke was next, and who was going to swim which stroke. It all turned out ok in the end :)

ekw
February 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Good story!

Here is another good story about kids and meets: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/news-northern-kentucky/8-year-old-battling-cancer-competes-in-swim-meet/-/13608792/18487800/-/item/0/-/4iwy4oz/-/index.html

Chris Stevenson
February 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
The one problem he has is he has no sense of urgency. What I mean is he doesn't try to go as fast as he can... he just likes to swim along. He is very tall for his age and strong with long arms so I think he could be a great swimmer. Another issue is he likes to watch the other swimmers instead of focusing on his own race! And you should see his turns! He likes to grab the wall and then look around then turn and go! I laugh everytime he does it.

Very common especially at that age. Do not even worry about it. Rejoice with him about his accomplishments, which you seem to be doing. IMO do not in any way be critical of his efforts or technique or whatever, that's what coaches are for. Not only do they have the swimming expertise but they have dealt with countless other kids his age and know when to push and when not to do so. In almost all cases I have observed, the parents will want to push younger kids harder than the coaches, and the parents are wrong and the coaches right.

It is healthy that you laugh about his antics. I remember my son blowing water spouts in backstroke races at this stage; I laughed too even though I wondered if he would ever feel competitive urges in a race. He eventually did.

sok454
February 11th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Great story. Don't worry my son is 11 and is in his 3rd year of swimming and got DQ'd because he got on the blocks instead of in the water for the start of the 100 back. They didn't hold up the start to fix it. We all got a good laugh watching him figure out what went wrong. And it was the fourth heat, so he should have been paying more attention.

This is what I thought was going to happen at the start of his 50 back... I was like.... uhhhh hope that timer moves him to the pool for the start!!!