PDA

View Full Version : Marie Kelleher Making More Waves

Chris Stevenson
February 11th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Last year Marie became the first USMS female swimmer in the 100-104 age group when she competed in a SCM meet at "FINA 100." But she was still 99 years old.

Yesterday she was swam the 50 free at 100 years of age, just two months after recovering from a stroke. The Richmond Times-Dispatch ran an excellent article on Marie:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/columnists-blogs/bill-lohmann/even-at-still-making-a-splash/article_fd4d53f1-91d9-57ba-bcf3-75c89dee15ff.html

She's treated like a rock star at any meets she attends, as is only fitting.

Swimosaur
February 11th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Her time Sunday was 1:58.08.

That's a World Record! Go Marie! :applaud: Hopefully the pool was measured!

Is she still starting off the blocks? What an amazing woman!

swoomer
February 11th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Amazing! I hope to break her record in about 40 years!

mlabresh
February 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Super awesome! Way to go, Marie.

Chris Stevenson
February 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM
That's a World Record! Go Marie! :applaud: Hopefully the pool was measured!

Is she still starting off the blocks? What an amazing woman!

Well it is a yards meet so no WR; it is a NR record though. Pool is fixed and has been measured; Marie has in fact set records here before.

I know that Marie went off the blocks last fall at age 99. I wasn't at this meet so I can't say if she did it on Sunday; for some reason, looking at the pictures, I think she started in the water. She did have a mild stroke a couple months ago and is taking it "easy" by swimming only the 50 and not the 100, which she usually likes to do.

My wife sees her at practice I think 2-3 times a week in the early morning. He main concession to her age is that she swims in the warmer pool.

jm7034
February 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Well it is a yards meet so no WR; it is a NR record though. Pool is fixed and has been measured; Marie has in fact set records here before.

I know that Marie went off the blocks last fall at age 99. I wasn't at this meet so I can't say if she did it on Sunday; for some reason, looking at the pictures, I think she started in the water. She did have a mild stroke a couple months ago and is taking it "easy" by swimming only the 50 and not the 100, which she usually likes to do.

My wife sees her at practice I think 2-3 times a week in the early morning. He main concession to her age is that she swims in the warmer pool.

I was at the NOVA meet this past weekend and had the privilege of seeing Marie. It was very inspiring to see in person. She had the support of everyone at the meet. What an accomplishment.

Chris, you don't know me but I'm a newbie with POWM, and we missed you at the meet. I was hoping to see you in action. Maybe at the LCM Zones meet this summer.

Swimosaur
February 12th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Well it is a yards meet so no WR.

Doggone! You can't believe what you read in the papers anymore!

After swimming the 50-meter freestyle Sunday morning, Marie Kelleher climbed out of the pool, posed for a few pictures ...

I hope she gets a chance to swim some meters meets!

Chris Stevenson
February 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Maybe at the LCM Zones meet this summer.

It might be a little harder for me to skip that one. :-) I look forward to meeting you.

Bobinator
February 15th, 2013, 02:04 PM
What an amazing lady! Kudos to Marie!