PDA

View Full Version : Web-hand "glove"

biestieboy58
February 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I recently bought a pair of those web-handed gloves that increase resistance. I have used it during the warm-up phase of my workout (usually a 500 yard freestyle).

I bought them because I saw other people using them, but I am wondering if they really have any benefit. They seem to increase resistance slightly, and I feel like I am pulling more water, but on the other hand, it slows down my arm speed.

Also, I am a breaststroker and it felt pretty awkward when I used it for that stroke.

Any opinion, pro or con, on this particular swim gear?

Bill Sive
February 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM
They will probably fall apart on you within a few months. Better to invest in plastic ones.

sunruh
February 13th, 2013, 04:44 PM
has to be 1 of the worst products available.

it will teach you to spread your fingers as wide as you can. totally wrong!!!
now when you take them off you will have this horrible habit to break.

all you need is a correctly size paddle and just the 1 finger strap to keep it on

mlabresh
February 13th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I've used them. Yes, they started to fall apart within 6 months of use. I don't recall mine being fully splayed. I think the fingers were relatively close together. They did ok as far as increasing resistance. The point of that is to increase your strength in your arms and shoulders. I have since purchased contour plastic paddles - I find these much more effective. The advantage of the gloves over the paddles is that you can wear them for a longer set (like a 500) and not get uncomfortable. If you use paddles, you're likely to start 'feeling it' if you wear them that long. I usually only do 200-300 pull with them. 500 would be a max for me if I want to be able to lift my arms the next day.

Syd
February 13th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I got given a pair almost two years ago and I think I have only used them twice. I seem to remember them taking ages to put on and I disliked them for the same reason as sunruh above: they keep your fingers splayed apart. Seeing that i have a tendency to splay my fingers anyway and this is a bad habit I am trying to break, this is hardly the tool I need to use. The only benefit that they might have is that they are less rigid than paddles and therefore might be easier on the arms.

Allen Stark
February 13th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I avoid paddles because my shoulders are twitchy and I don't want to put extra strain on them.I do see the benefit of paddles in some circumstances,especially to facilitate feel and stroke mechanics.I guess the gloves could do that too,but I suspect not as well.If you want to use them to add variety to your workout they are probably OK.

sunruh
February 14th, 2013, 08:54 AM
90% of the people i see swim (both rec and comp) use way to large of paddles for their body.
when women show up with paddles 1 or 2 sizes bigger than mine (and your name is not tami bruce - if you have swam with her you would know the joke) then they are WAY TO BIG! guys are even worse. putting on these trashcan lids that force all kinds of the wrong torque on your shoulder.
from this page -> http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12683265&view=all&cp=3124326.3128423.3132046
you can see the 3 colors of sizes (which is a lot less than some). most women only need blue and only a very few need red sizes.
most men would use red and only big guys yellow. i use the red (but mine are way oldschool solid red from the '80s.) take the wrist strap off (save it for 2 finger pieces over the next 5 years) and take 2 hands and curve the paddle slightly to fit the shape of your natural hand curve. now go swim.
i do sets like:
800,600,400,200,200,400,600 lcm with them (05/03/12)
1500,1000,500 lcm (05/11/12)
8x100,4x200,400,800 lcm (05/25/12)
paddles should not change your ability to go distance, if they do, you are using the wrong paddles!

Allen Stark
February 14th, 2013, 01:58 PM
90% of the people i see swim (both rec and comp) use way to large of paddles for their body.
when women show up with paddles 1 or 2 sizes bigger than mine (and your name is not tami bruce - if you have swam with her you would know the joke) then they are WAY TO BIG! guys are even worse. putting on these trashcan lids that force all kinds of the wrong torque on your shoulder.
from this page -> http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12683265&view=all&cp=3124326.3128423.3132046
you can see the 3 colors of sizes (which is a lot less than some). most women only need blue and only a very few need red sizes.
most men would use red and only big guys yellow. i use the red (but mine are way oldschool solid red from the '80s.) take the wrist strap off (save it for 2 finger pieces over the next 5 years) and take 2 hands and curve the paddle slightly to fit the shape of your natural hand curve. now go swim.
i do sets like:
800,600,400,200,200,400,600 lcm with them (05/03/12)
1500,1000,500 lcm (05/11/12)
8x100,4x200,400,800 lcm (05/25/12)
paddles should not change your ability to go distance, if they do, you are using the wrong paddles!

I see this all the time too.I have seen people who struggle to swim without dropping their elbows regularly go to extreme elbow drop to swim with the paddles,totally destroying their technique.