PDA

View Full Version : Diet/Pre-Race

sok454
February 20th, 2013, 09:30 AM
What do the majority of you eat leading up to your meets? My first meet is next weekend and so far I have really eliminated 95% of sugary drink consumption, elimintated about 90% of my usual candy consumption. I will be doing almost all sprints 50y fr,br, and maybe bk. So it'll be quick and deadly!

knelson
February 20th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I'd suggest eating a full meal a couple hours before the meet if possible. Then just be sure to stay hydrated and perhaps have a small snack in the middle of the meet if it's going to last a few hours.

fmracing
February 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Don't overthink it man. Just eat a decent sized portion beforehand so you're not loaded down, nor undernourished. What you eat isn't going to make much of a difference, probably steer clear of the beers tho until after.

Britt03
February 20th, 2013, 01:22 PM
as fmracing said, don't overthink it. I have done everything from eating less, eating more, start drinking beer every night, to increasing/decreasing amounts of candy/day, before big taper meets. I don't think any of that ever made a difference. what made the difference was my mindset and if I was believing what I was doing was right or not.

Allen Stark
February 20th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I eat a big meal about 3 hr before my first event and then drink HEED alot and eat Lara bars at the meet any time I feel hungry.It's a 50,you are not likely to get sick at your stomach.

sok454
February 20th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I've mostly stopped those items as I'm trying to lose weight... you know... some famous guy said "shed the lard" or something.... Being 6'1-2 and 255 was too big.... hoping to be down to about 240 by next weekend and then if I decide to try nationals (dependent on next weekends times) then get down to 215-220 by May.

KEWebb18
February 20th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I will eat a normal breakfast, and make sure that I have a good mix of protein and carbs. I swim mostly sprints, and I will either drink powerade zero or propel during meet and eat fresh fruit. I can't have anything in my stomach when I swim and those are easily digested. Stay away from anything fried and heavy.

jaadams1
February 20th, 2013, 07:19 PM
My pre-meet meal: McDonalds sausage burritos and hashbrowns. Usually a large hot chocolate from 7-11 as well.

sickfish
February 20th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Hotel buffet "eggs" and "sausage" and a bagel. Maybe some fruit mix if there's pineapple and room enough on the plate that it doesn't contaminate the sausage too much. And coffee. Or, if the coffee is gross, Rockstar Lemonade - it's not carbonated.

... and something with lots of fiber the night before...

Bobinator
February 21st, 2013, 08:08 AM
The main thing is to do what works for you during training. The worst thing you can do is change everything and make it different the week of the meet. Personally if I were you I wouldn't change a thing and just see how it goes for your first meet. If you experience no problems with your stomach or energy systems during the meet then keep your current patterns up.
Good luck and have fun!!

Karl_S
February 21st, 2013, 08:16 AM
The main thing is to do what works for you during training. The worst thing you can do is change everything and make it different the week of the meet....
Hear hear! I agree. Start with what works for practice.

sok454
February 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM
One thing I've learned is I need to eat a lot earlier than 1 hour before practice. The other night we had tacos and then I went and swam... besides almost passing out from the repeats I almost puked up tacos...