PDA

View Full Version : National questions

dorothyrd
January 8th, 2004, 08:24 PM
I was going to e-mail Nadine with these, but I thought there might be other newbies like myself who have the same questions, or want to ask questions. So this thread is a newbies ask questions about Nationals thread!

1. Will the Nationals be run two pools at a time, or will they run just the North pools and the South pool will be warm-up cool down?

2. I am looking at doing three events on Sunday, and they are one after another, 50 free, 200 IM, 50 fly. I figure that there will be enough time with all the heats, and men and women to rest. Is that right?

3. How long does each days session generally last. I am used to USA swimming, sessions of 4 hours, will this go longer?

4. Relays - I saw reference somewhere about Illinois Masters having a form to fill out if interested in relays. Where does one get this form?

5. Relays - if I only swam Sunday, and Illinois Masters had a relay spot that I could swim in on Saturday, would I be able to come a little later in the morning, and not leave Mahomet in the predawn hours. In other words, come in plenty of time to do the relay, but not by the 8am meet start.

About relays, I think it would be a lot of fun to be on one, but it would not upset me if there was no spot. I would be willing to do any stroke, although my back is pretty awful!!

That's all I have for now, discussion may generate more!!

Thanks

JRidge
January 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM
The meet will be run in both pools with warmup/down in the diving well (typically) and the other pool behind the glass. There should be plenty of time between events, Indy usually draws a big crowd. The days will be longer than the USA-S meets, probably 6-8 hrs - meet start to meet finish.

NKMD
January 11th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Dorothy,

1) 2 pools-usually even heats on one side and the odd heats on the other side

2) Yes, you defintiely can swim all your events on 1 day, this meet runs slower than age-group meets and our masters meets due to the size of the meet. Also, you swim with your age-group.
(for example: I will swim with the women in the 30-34 age-group)

3) They will have a timeline about 2-3 weeks from Nationals, it all depends on how many entries.

4) We will be posting the relay form mid Feb, because we would like current times for relays. The deadline to submit forms and payment for the relays will be April 4th.
We ask for your best time this seaseon for the 50 fly, back, breast, free times from a flat start.

5) You can be an alternate for Saturday evening, but you will mark which relays that you will be available for and you times You will get reimbursed for the relays that you don't swim in.

Great to have you on a relay.
If you want to swim a relay, we try to get you on a relay.

Relays for short course yards are based on the youngest swimmer in increments of 10 years,
19+, 25+, 35+, 45+, 55+, 65+

Illinois Masters get excited for INDY.

dorothyrd
January 12th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks Jennifer and Nadine, sounds like it will be fun.

Can the times just be from time we have done in practice as long as they are flat start?

ratthedog
January 12th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Your relay times don't require official verification. They should be your max potential without submitting something too fast. Where you get the split isn't important. It can be practice, a time trial or a sanctioned meet. The only error that can occur is that you get put on a relay in place of someone faster. That's not a problem if you actually pull it off, but if you miss it's not fair to the faster swimmer that got overlooked and probably put on a slower relay. Hope that helps.

dorothyrd
January 12th, 2004, 11:03 AM
If anything, the times would be slower because they would be practice times, and I tend to do times at the end of practice when I am worn out! I would never want to bump someone faster off a relay anyway.