PDA

View Full Version : Caps make me too hot. Anyone else?

greenjeans11
February 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
I've been competing for about 2 years. I'm in my late 50's, female, carry extra weight, and swim from 50's to 500 distance. Anyway, if I wear a cap- even latex- for a meet, I get too hot and am distracted.:bitching:

So I've quit wearing a cap, ever.:wiggle: (I've been hot for 20 years, so it's nothing new). I think I just did my 6th meet. Goggles are finally staying on for starts.

Is there any reason to wear a cap? I assume I'm slower- but I can focus better. My hairs short.

Am I the only one too hot to wear a cap?

By the way, late this spring I'm going to try open water, where the Lake Erie water should be nice and cool.

I'm new to posting, here goes.:)

ekw
February 23rd, 2013, 09:51 PM
Caps can be really hot. If you're happy without one and you don't find your hair is getting wrecked by pool chemicals, I say more power to you!

I think in many open water races caps are required for safety reasons, but the water will be cooler there.

greenjeans11
February 23rd, 2013, 09:56 PM
ekw, yes, the chemicals are a challenge on my hair. I condition 2 or 3 times after swimming. It's worth it.

hnatkin
February 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
Maybe you're just swimming in a warm pool. I'm pretty intolerant of warm water so if they temp goes above 82 I ditch the cap as well. But not for a meet. Generally pool temps go up in the summer because swim team is not in season so I end up verging on blonde in the summer from the chlorine!

Herb
February 23rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
No, you aren't the only one. Ditch it.

mcnair
February 23rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Open Water events will require a cap for safety (helps kayakers keep track of swimmers strung out all over the lake); and if Lake Eerie is anything like Lake Michigan, you'll appreciate preserving some of that heat. I rarely wear a cap myself... only for meets, or time trials... because in your average pool it is too hot for long hard swims.

Syd
February 24th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Here in Taiwan you have to wear a cap in the pool at all times. It keeps stray hairs out of the filters and helps to keep the water cleaner. It also goes some way in protecting you hair from the harsh chemicals. I can't say that I have ever felt overheated from wearing a cap but that maybe just because I am used to it. But if you feel it it is making you uncomfortable, by all means don't wear it. However, if you are looking to shave a few hundredths of a second off your 50M time then maybe you should reconsider. For training I don't wear a silicone cap. I don't like them because they pull on my hair and they tear easily. I wear one of these (http://store.speedo.com/p/caps/superiority-endurance-plus--cap/807994a). Much more comfortable to wear and they last for ages. Have had my current one for almost a year now and no signs of wear and tear. The material is light so you shouldn't overheat so easily.

Glenn
February 24th, 2013, 10:46 AM
If wearing a cap is uncomfortable, you are right, don't wear it. You'll go faster not having to worry about a cap than the very small advantage a cap might give you.

ourswimmer
February 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM
You don't have to assume you are slower; look at the clock. Getting too hot also can slow you down, especially in a 5-minute or longer race. Lots of men skip the cap. If it works for you, why not?

Bobinator
February 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM
If you want or need to wear a cap try a Lycra cap, they are much cooler. The down side to Lycra caps are they do not protect your hair from the chlorine, but the good thing is that they keep the hair out of your eyes and maybe make you a little more hydro-dynamic!

ekw
February 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM
You could also put ventilation holes in your cap, a la swimsuit addict: http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?25775-An-early-celebration

ElaineK
February 24th, 2013, 08:47 PM
You could also put ventilation holes in your cap, a la swimsuit addict: http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?25775-An-early-celebration

Hey, I think I'll try that with one of my freebie caps and see how it works. Thanks!

orca1946
February 24th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I only wear a cap at state or Nats. For open water thay make you wear one.

sunruh
February 25th, 2013, 08:13 AM
i wear a cap to help keep me warm (in a cold pool). usually take it off when i get hot.

greenjeans11
February 25th, 2013, 10:47 AM
My team practices at a college with a fabulous, cool pool, set up for long course after swim season. During swim season we swim in a therapeutic (very warm) pool. Even in the cool pool I'm too hot for a cap.

Thanks for the support for swimming without a cap.

But a cap with big holes. A Lycra cap with holes. I bought one, never used it. I might try that. Of course, does a cap with holes still cut down time?

I'm so glad I posted this question. I love our USMS community.

bamueller
February 27th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Caps can be really hot. If you're happy without one and you don't find your hair is getting wrecked by pool chemicals, I say more power to you!

Does wearing a cap actually help with improving hair damage? If so, I might consider it.

I am male and swim without a cap during practice. I always have. During meets, postals, and OW swims, I will wear them. I don't wear them because I overheat in practice. If the pools were cooler than they are, maybe I'd wear one, but it is a habit now.

Try putting ice cubes in your cap. I have no idea who long they'd last. Maybe it's worth a shot.