PDA

View Full Version : Pool Length

Bill Sive
February 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Yesterday I swam in a pool I had never been to before. The pool is 30.5 meters (33.3 yards) long X 20 yards wide. Starting blocks were on the 20 yards.

Why would a pool be built at 30.5 meters? Would you change your workout to accommodate this unusual distance?

My normal 4000 meter workout, turned into 4880 meters. I would like to continue to use this pool,however I will have to put in some serious thinking into my workouts.

jaadams1
February 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Yesterday I swam in a pool I had never been to before. The pool is 30.5 meters (33.3 yards) long X 20 yards wide. Starting blocks were on the 20 yards.

Why would a pool be built at 30.5 meters? Would you change your workout to accommodate this unusual distance?

My normal 4000 meter workout, turned into 4880 meters. I would like to continue to use this pool,however I will have to put in some serious thinking into my workouts.

You can swim in what you like, or have available. Just figure out what is comparable distances, or just make up something non-traditional and find a rest interval that works for different distances.

knelson
February 24th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Why would a pool be built at 30.5 meters?

Maybe they wanted to make sure it could never be used for competition purposes. Sounds silly, but that may be the reason. Of course the fact there are blocks installed runs counter to this notion.

It's sort of goofy, but maybe that's what they had room for. The nice thing about a pool like this is you can put a bulkhead in and accommodate a 25 yard or 25 meter course, plus a small separate area for warmups or even diving. It's certainly more flexible than a 25 yard pool.

sickfish
February 24th, 2013, 12:52 PM
My college pool was like that too: http://rpiathletics.com/sports/2010/5/19/GEN_0519103709.aspx?tab=facilities2 (halfway down the page). I've never seen it without the bulkhead.

rtodd
February 24th, 2013, 01:18 PM
swim in a 33.3 yard pool every day. Three lengths per 100. A real nice compromise between SCY and LC. It's easy to come up with workouts for that distance. It was originally a rehabilitation pool that has a long gradual taper to the 1/2 way point before it steepens at the deep end.

ElaineK
February 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Bill, I'm just curious, as a native of Long Beach with family still there. Is this pool in Long Beach (or in the area)? Which one is it? Thanks!

swoomer
February 24th, 2013, 04:37 PM
There's one in Bellflower like that. I started my dubious swimming career there in 1958. I believe it is still there?

ElaineK
February 24th, 2013, 04:43 PM
There's one in Bellflower like that. I started my dubious swimming career there in 1958. I believe it is still there?

I grew up in Lakewood and swam on Lakewood High School's team, 1977-1979. My mom still lives in the same house; very close to Long Beach.

rxleakem
February 24th, 2013, 04:56 PM
My college pool was like that too: http://rpiathletics.com/sports/2010/5/19/GEN_0519103709.aspx?tab=facilities2 (halfway down the page). I've never seen it without the bulkhead.

RPI is where we always had big meets growing up (silvers/golds). The smaller pool was great for easy swimming between events. Still gets used a lot today for AD age group meets; too bad a masters meet can't be organized there.

swoomer
February 24th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Elaine, I grew up in Downey, a very long time ago. My mother still lives there in our 1957 house! I visit often. Our small girls HS swim team competed against Lakewood. The summer rec team from the Bellflower pool (Caughran Park I think) competed at Mayfair. Small world!

ourswimmer
February 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM
In the early- to mid-20th century in the US, 100 feet was a pretty common pool length. A lot of WPA pools were 100 feet, for instance. (Some were much, much larger.)

aguins
February 24th, 2013, 07:55 PM
In the 50's and 60's lots of YMCA/YWCA pools were 20 yds., at least in OH

Bobinator
February 24th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I have a pool in my backyard that is 22 yds long; lots of flip-turns!!! I agree with knelson, they built it like this so no one would want to rent it for a meet or use it for swim practice.
I'd think it would be fun to adapt your current workouts to work in this pool.

ElaineK
February 24th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Elaine, I grew up in Downey, a very long time ago. My mother still lives there in our 1957 house! I visit often. Our small girls HS swim team competed against Lakewood. The summer rec team from the Bellflower pool (Caughran Park I think) competed at Mayfair. Small world!

My mom's house is vintage 1963. Another Forumite, Debaru, went to Jordan High and swam on their team at the same time my sister swam for Lakewood High (early 70's).:D It turns out that during our years growing up in Long Beach, we hung out at the same places (Belmont Shores and Alamitos Bay) during the summers. We didn't know each other then, but met up at Mesa Nationals and have been friends ever since.

Are you going to Mission Viejo and back home to see your mom? Debaru and I will be there and plan to see our families. If you go, let's all meet up! :cheerleader:

SuperChloe
February 24th, 2013, 08:59 PM
The pool at our local Y is 20 yds long. I'm glad I don't swim there; flip turns hurt my back as it is. No need to add an extra flip to every 100!

Bill Sive
February 24th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I swam in the same pool today. I think mentally I've got my head around it now. I like the comment about a happy medium between SCY's and LCM's.

I've decided to do my same workouts and calculate them when I get home. I am swimming roughly 610 meters every 12 minutes. Not sure if this is good or bad, its just what I am swimming.

The pool starts at 3' deep, slowly goes to 4' then 6', then has a drop to 9', for a short distance, then back up to 6' then 4', then 3' again at the other side. No bulkhead possible in this pool Its a little crazy. I am glad I do not do flip turns as I would probably hit my head, or skin my back on the bottom of the pool. I worry about hitting my knees on my breaststroke. I believe its a good pool for working on distance swimming.

Elaine if you private message me I will send you the pool location.

mlabresh
February 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
The pool I swim in (only public indoor pool available) is 30m long. It's an L-shaped pool and if you swim toward the diving boards, it's 25y. But for lap/cardio swim times, they have us swimming the 30m length. They used to have blocks at the end of that length as well. They have a moveable bulkhead that sometimes is used to shorten it to 25m when they are doing swim lessons in the shallow end. It's an ok pool and it does make workouts require a little extra math (for us it's pretty easy though, # of laps x 10 extra meters added to the work out total). One thing I do like about it is it makes swimming SCY a little faster/easier, and it gives me a little transition practice before LCM in the summer.

sunruh
February 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM
i once swam in a 50yd pool.

little known rules fact:

you can set an american and/or national record in a 55yd pool! (because its a hair longer that 50m).

knelson
February 25th, 2013, 12:18 PM
you can set an american and/or national record in a 55yd pool! (because its a hair longer that 50m).

This may have been true at one time, but it isn't now. The USA Swimming rulebook states:

Dimensional Tolerance: Against the required length, a tolerance of plus (+) 0.03 meters (1 and 3/16ths of an inch) in a vertical plane extending 0.3 meters (12 inches) above and 0.8 meters (2 feet, 7 inches) below the surface of the water at all points of both
end walls.

55 yards is 50.292 meters, so it's way over the positive allowed tolerance of 0.03 meters.

sunruh
February 25th, 2013, 02:11 PM
no actually you are wrong.

according to the 2013 USA Swimming Rules and Regulations:

part C
(3) Long Course — Made only over courses 55 yards or 50 meters long
fyi thats on page 51.

knelson
February 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM
no actually you are wrong.

according to the 2013 USA Swimming Rules and Regulations:

part C
(3) Long Course — Made only over courses 55 yards or 50 meters long
fyi thats on page 51.

You're right, I'm definitely wrong. Good catch. Weird that they contradict the earlier rule.

Maui Mike
February 26th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Got a kick out of this thread for a couple of reasons. Swam in my first swim meet at Downey HS in 1956 as a 10 year old blazing slightly over 40 seconds in a long course 50yd free, won a gold medal and was the happiest kid in the world. A few years later I was riding my old style single speed balloon tire bike to Lakewood HS because they were the nearest pool with workouts in the winter. The coach never bothered with paperwork or admission fee --- I think he was impressed with my 25 mile cycling commute. Then as a 14 year old I swam 110 yards in less than 55 seconds!!! --- not quite as remarkable as it sounds since it was in our backyard pool that was 22 feet across, 15 widths = 110 yards with 14 flip turns and very few strokes.
Ahhh, the memories.

__steve__
February 26th, 2013, 06:43 AM
My regular SCM pool is 7.5 meters wide with 5 narrow lanes. The 1st lane is the one with a lane line. When I'm the only swimmer I do turn drills I created by swimming the width. I push off under the lane line, take three strokes, turn, then coast back and breathe when finished. It is the perfect length. If the turn was good I touch the finish with momentum in the tank at about 10 seconds. If I barely make it back or if it's 12+ seconds, I did something wrong and need to figure out what it was. My turns have improved with these.

Karl_S
February 26th, 2013, 08:52 AM
i once swam in a 50yd pool.

little known rules fact:

Would that be in the 1500m or 1650yds? 30 lengths of a 55yd pool is 1650 yd = 1509 m. With all of the missing turns, I would expect the 1650 yd time to be slow, but with only 9 extra m, the 1500 m time might be competitive.

sunruh
February 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM
__steve__,
nice drills.
sounds like the hotel pool i had to use the 1st day in Riccione to train in because "water polo still using competition pool". after about 14 laps i was dizzy and walked to the sea and did a "lap" (2 lifeguard stations) in the double red flag waves.

the pool at Balmohea TX state park is an interesting one. concrete walls but dirt bottom. perfectly clear down to 22 feet. spring fed.
it is a big "L" shape. its a good 250m if you swim the outside wall and do the full L.

odd pools are "fun" until they get to the point of being tedious.

TRYM_Swimmer
February 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM
In the early- to mid-20th century in the US, 100 feet was a pretty common pool length. A lot of WPA pools were 100 feet, for instance. (Some were much, much larger.)

I swam in several old pools in England that were 100 feet, including the one in my avatar, where I performed in a Sondheim musical as shown.

In the 50's and 60's lots of YMCA/YWCA pools were 20 yds., at least in OH

There were several in our YMCA league in South Central PA, Reading, Coatesville, and maybe another that I can't remember. U of Maryland's old pool was also 20 yards, I believe, or there was at least one school in that area that Maryland swam against that had one.

arthur
February 26th, 2013, 01:23 PM
There is a 50m outdoor pool with a removable bulkhead that I train at in the summer. When you put the bulkhead in you get a 25m and a 25y pool on each side. There are summer swimming scm meets held there. The blocks are on the bulkhead so it must be pretty tight with timers etc.

ElaineK
February 26th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Lakewood HS

I was a Lakewood Lancer and swam there 1977 - 1979. :banana:

ElaineK
February 26th, 2013, 02:38 PM
7240 I passed on swimming at this pool behind our rented Sanibel Island cottage :afraid: in favor of a bit roomier 25 yard pool at the recreation center, instead :ohyeah::

biestieboy58
February 26th, 2013, 04:30 PM
I swim in a 20 yard pool at the Y in Park Slope, Brooklyn. If I am practicing my 50 sprints, I just turn them into 60s and then the 50s seem easier. The only downside is that too much of the swim is turning. A bit excessive, but it's not terrible. I am looking forward to them opening the new 25 yard pool in the fall.

Maui Mike
February 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I was a Lakewood Lancer and swam there 1977 - 1979. :banana:

Who was your coach?

ElaineK
February 28th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Who was your coach?

Carol (that's all I can remember of her name; it was better to forget...), and then Mr. G (that's what we called her; the rest I can't remember either...). (My memory is :cane: :afraid:) I do remember, however, that the lifeguard was really cute and a nice guy. :blush:

orca1946
February 28th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Build it & they will swim !!! HEY!! Maybe I can make a movie from this premise !!!

Bill Sive
February 28th, 2013, 11:50 PM
I ran into one of the pool supervisors who manages this odd length pool, at a different pool this evening. She told me back in the 1950's and 1960's they built some odd pools to discourage competition, and competitive swimming. That the pools were designed for recreational swimming. I told here they are missing out on incoming funds from having a USA-Swimming team and/or a Masters Swimming team. She told me that back in the day they have a different mindset. That would probably not happen today. She also mentioned there is another pool in the area that I have not been to that is 40 meters in length. I'll have to check that one out and report back.

smontanaro
March 1st, 2013, 01:03 AM
I ran into one of the pool supervisors who manages this odd length pool, at a different pool this evening. She told me back in the 1950's and 1960's they built some odd pools to discourage competition, and competitive swimming.

There's a chain health club near where I live, Lifetime Fitness. My understanding is that their pool was built short on purpose, precisely to make sure it's never considered as a pool in which to hold meets. Might be an insurance thing, or maybe to keep some smart aleck member from ever trying to get management to hold a meet there.

sunruh
March 1st, 2013, 08:03 AM
i am currently (sporadically) swimming at LT. they have 2 pools. 1 is a 20yd and 1 is a 25m. the 25m has no gutter system and is flat walls and mostly shallow. no place to put starting blocks. it would be about the perfect pool to NOT go fast in.

slknight
March 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM
I grew up swimming in a 33.3 meter pool that was built in the 50s. We actually had NVSL summer league meets there. For 25s, you swam to the red flags and the timers leaned over the edge and judged when you came through the flags. For 50s, you swam down and back to the yellow flags. Same timing deal.

There was also a nearby pool which was 37.5 meters. My USS team trained there for a short time one summer. I got really sick of doing 150s and 300s. :)

pmccoy
March 1st, 2013, 09:45 AM
There's a pool a few miles from me that was build 200 feet (66.6 yds, 61m) in length. A local team used it for long course training despite the lack of lane lines or gutters. Must have been some really choppy practices. Two years ago, it took a direct hit from an F5 tornado and they have yet to re-open it.

monroe_y_master
March 2nd, 2013, 07:33 PM
There is pool in an old building on thi IU campus in Bloomington that is 4 lanes and 27.5 yd. It works out to be exactly 64 lengths for a mile. It was the old men's pool. Apparently swimming a mile was a BIG deal then.

Bill Sive
March 6th, 2013, 09:48 AM
...so last evening in this pool I did a 488 IM, followed by a 122 IM. I think I am ready for LCM season. I am feeling real good now about swimming in this pool. The far wall does not seem so far anymore, except for Fly.

On another note it made CalTech seem easy.

knelson
March 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM
There is pool in an old building on thi IU campus in Bloomington that is 4 lanes and 27.5 yd.

It seems like a particularly goofy length until you realize events such as the 220 and 440 used to be commonplace and those distances are 8 and 16 lengths of a 27.5 yard pool.

smontanaro
March 6th, 2013, 11:51 AM
It's been many, many years ago, but I was a lifeguard at UCLA in the mid-70s, both at the Rec Center pool & at the pools adjoining the mens' and womens' gyms, apparently now called the Student Activities Center and Kaufman Hall, respectively. I have this vague notion that one of those gym pools was a non-standard length, perhaps 33yds? Looks the pools or their successors are still there.

Are there any other old codgers who swam at those pools BITD who remember how long they were?

ForceDJ
February 19th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Sorry to resurrect this old thread...I came across it when Google searching something about various pool lengths. But, I thought I'd add to it...
As a military retiree, I swim at the pool on the local Navy base. They just built/opened a new 25m pool a couple years ago. But up until that time the pool used for recreation (MWR) swimming was 35 yards long. At one time there were actually two pool like this on the base...and some of the real old timers tell me of another that was razed many years ago. While on active duty in the Navy, I was stationed at a couple of other bases that also have 35 yard pools. So after asking the real old timers more questions about why the military build 35 yard pools I eventually was told that it was so outside entities (high schools, colleges, clubs) would not ask the to use the pools since they weren't of a length that could be used for records.

Dan

m2tall2
February 22nd, 2016, 03:36 PM
Sorry to resurrect this old thread...I came across it when Google searching something about various pool lengths. But, I thought I'd add to it...
As a military retiree, I swim at the pool on the local Navy base. They just built/opened a new 25m pool a couple years ago. But up until that time the pool used for recreation (MWR) swimming was 35 yards long. At one time there were actually two pool like this on the base...and some of the real old timers tell me of another that was razed many years ago. While on active duty in the Navy, I was stationed at a couple of other bases that also have 35 yard pools. So after asking the real old timers more questions about why the military build 35 yard pools I eventually was told that it was so outside entities (high schools, colleges, clubs) would not ask the to use the pools since they weren't of a length that could be used for records.

Dan

Our club practiced at a base pool in the summer. I can't remember exactly how it was set up because they stopped letting us use the pool when I was around 11 or so (the pool doesn't exist anymore). But it was L shaped with a shorter distance and longer distance. Neither distance was competitive length but both were "good enough for a workout". If memory serves me right, one way was 35 meters and the other way was 33 yards. In any case, it was a nice change of pace for June & July when the high school pool rental stopped. Fresh outdoor air and always feeling fast at meets were enough to make up for the frigid water and not really knowing how fast you are for two months.

habu987
February 24th, 2016, 10:43 AM
The pool my morning youth swimmers practice at is 27 yards. I believe it was built about 30-40 years ago. Not sure if it was intentionally built to be 27 yards to discourage competition, or if that's just what it ended up being. It's next door to a high school, so while it's the high school's home pool, they don't do any meets at it. I've swum there a few times on my own and it's odd. The flags seem to be somewhere between 5y and 5m from the walls, so my back turns are kinda funky.

arthur
February 24th, 2016, 04:15 PM
The pool my morning youth swimmers practice at is 27 yards. I believe it was built about 30-40 years ago. Not sure if it was intentionally built to be 27 yards to discourage competition, or if that's just what it ended up being. It's next door to a high school, so while it's the high school's home pool, they don't do any meets at it. I've swum there a few times on my own and it's odd. The flags seem to be somewhere between 5y and 5m from the walls, so my back turns are kinda funky.

27 yards is 24.7m so it might be or have intended to be a 25m pool.

orca1946
February 24th, 2016, 05:17 PM
OR some american that couldn't figure out how to turn yards into meters !!??

srcoyote
March 3rd, 2016, 11:00 AM
Just got back from an overnight business trip to Las Vegas. The spa pool (not the recreational) was marked with two lanes on bottom but no crosses at the walls nor lane lines, and the pool was one stroke short (my stroke count very consistent at 14/25 yds). Nope. Not a 20 yard pool. With no pace clock, I estimated time and work out distances as best I could.

Oddly, the distance marked at one end by a tall decorative cement barrier that segmented the pool from a smaller shallow end for reclining. Move that wall a 4 feet or so, and it's a regulation pool. But, hey, the towels were big and fluffy.

ForceDJ
March 3rd, 2016, 01:55 PM
Oddly, the distance marked at one end by a tall decorative cement barrier that segmented the pool from a smaller shallow end for reclining. Move that wall a 4 feet or so, and it's a regulation pool. But, hey, the towels were big and fluffy.

Was that with jersey barriers? I've heard of them being used in other pools that are too long. Specifically in some of the older 35 yard pools on some military installations that I mentioned previously. They placed the barriers so they'd be right at 25 meters and then that leaves 25 feet or so for a play area for the kiddies.

Dan

Sumorunner
March 3rd, 2016, 02:23 PM

As is Union College. I think removing the bulkhead would be quite a chore. I always thought they did that so they didn't have to have two separate circulation systems for a swim and dive pool.

Sumorunner
March 3rd, 2016, 02:33 PM
RPI is where we always had big meets growing up (silvers/golds). The smaller pool was great for easy swimming between events. Still gets used a lot today for AD age group meets; too bad a masters meet can't be organized there.

Why not? There is a coached masters swim at RPI in Troy, Mon-Fri, 6:30-7:30 PM, by Jeff Maxwell. Also at Union College in Schenectady, by Rita Kalmikova. So, why can they not organize a meet there?

ForceDJ
March 3rd, 2016, 02:38 PM
This, along with the other current threads regarding lap vs. length, and pool length, reminded me of something I've often tried to get them to do at my pool (especially in the winter) -- maybe once a week take out the lane lines and make an actual lap circuit. I think it'd be fun for us longer distance open water swimmers who are restricted to the pool during the winter. Moor some buoys in the four corners about a lane's width from the sides, perhaps connect a lane line between them...and we'd have an actual lap of about 75-80 meters and wouldn't have so many flip turns. Maybe do it just once a week or so, at a special time so the traditional lap swimmers' workouts wouldn't be disrupted.

Dan

knelson
March 3rd, 2016, 04:08 PM
This, along with the other current threads regarding lap vs. length, and pool length, reminded me of something I've often tried to get them to do at my pool (especially in the winter) -- maybe once a week take out the lane lines and make an actual lap circuit.

When I was a kid my coach liked to do this once in a while. He'd tell us how many laps we'd need to do and then it was a race, every man for himself. We called it "Indy 500." It did get a little physical at times. :)

orca1946
March 3rd, 2016, 06:48 PM
That sounds like my H S swim team when we played "no rules "water polo. It's a good thing we could all swim & hold our breath cuz there was lots of "fouls"

srcoyote
March 4th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Was that with jersey barriers? I've heard of them being used in other pools that are too long. Specifically in some of the older 35 yard pools on some military installations that I mentioned previously. They placed the barriers so they'd be right at 25 meters and then that leaves 25 feet or so for a play area for the kiddies.

Dan

I don't think so, but similar perhaps. This pool in the spa/gym area where only adults allowed. The other side of the wall did seem to be for just sitting, and it was largely decorative.

__steve__
March 4th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Have measuring tape in my car. Usually get a few laughs from the lifeguards (old dude measuring diving area, then swimming all-out 13.8m's with plenty of rest).

orca1946
March 4th, 2016, 05:04 PM
At least your life guards are looking at you. Some of our guards are looking at their phones while walking around not in the chair.