PDA

View Full Version : Making the State Team 2013/Critique

5MWC
February 24th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks for helping me last time with my 100 fly stroke, I did try to improve my kick by using my hips more but fell short to the State Cut after the Taper meet by 0.51s, the cut is 54.99 and I went 55.50 :(. I have my final chance this Thursday to make states and things are looking grim with stories of almost no one has ever made states off of last chance meet. After the fly cut was lowered this year from 55.39 to 54.99, many kids I know don't have the cut, so I will have plenty of competition. I would like to know what you do to prepare for a big meet and how to drop time in a short time frame. 0.51s is a lot of time but I know its doable, or it's possible. Here are some videos of my stroke, any tips or suggestions is welcome. Thank guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcKaHUtvjlk&list=HL1361726888 55.50 day 1, Pink Suit in lane 5, Red Cap. 2nd place in heat, 3rd overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwLmOY8WUiw&list=HL1361726888 55.92 day 2 of meet, Pink Suit in lane 3. 6th place :(.

__steve__
February 24th, 2013, 03:32 PM
You just need a little over 5 tenths in 4 days. What kind of suit are you using, and are you practicing squeeezing your arms to a solid spear? Spend 5 minutes a day stretching your ankles into flippers for feet (that joint stretches quickly). Shave with a quad blade razor. I can't offer advice on your swim, I would love to fly like that, but keep it flat and stick your chin out to breathe. Don't listen to the statistics, you are too close.

Good luck

sickfish
February 24th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Looks to me like if you speed up those turns a little bit you'll have it.

5MWC
February 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I'm probably already using the best suit on the market right now. Arena Carbon Pro http://www.arenapowerskin.com/powerskin-carbon-pro/. Good sizing, I already shaved down, probably will reshave. Yes, I used a quad blade. So I can't drop from those. I wish I could speed up my turns, but I feel like its more beneficial to get more energy in my turns underwater. But I'll try to balance it more in practice these days. Thank for that advice.

Bobinator
February 24th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Good Luck!!!!! You can do it!

rxleakem
February 24th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Try to visualize the race and stay relaxed and in control as you head up to the blocks. Execute your race strategy in the water.
:cheerleader:

rtodd
February 24th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Start,streamlines,breakouts,turns,finish. Focusing on nailing these. Breathe early in your stroke and focus on having your forehead beat your hands back into the water and a good chest press. There seems to be a slight hesitation on your breathing stroke. You can't let breathing get in the way of your stroke tempo. Looks like you split it around 26,29. Don't go out any slower and tell yourself at the 50, that will will bring it home with everything you have.

5MWC
February 24th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Start,streamlines,breakouts,turns,finish. Focusing on nailing these. Breathe early in your stroke and focus on having your forehead beat your hands back into the water and a good chest press. There seems to be a slight hesitation on your breathing stroke. You can't let breathing get in the way of your stroke tempo. Looks like you split it around 26,29. Don't go out any slower and tell yourself at the 50, that will will bring it home with everything you have.
Yah, I split 25.9 29.5 day 1 and 25.9 30.0 day 2

ekw
February 24th, 2013, 07:56 PM
You can do it! :cheerleader:

You've worked really hard on this. May everything come together and you get in the zone on race day - good luck!

waves101
February 25th, 2013, 08:56 AM
At this point, don't focus too much on changing your stroke. It is certainly still possible to attain the cut. Did you hit your taper? Sometimes people swim faster a week later. At this point I'd say believe you can make it. Visualize your race and believe. Get lots of rest and stay hydrated. Good Luck.

ande
February 25th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks for helping me last time with my 100 fly stroke, I did try to improve my kick by using my hips more but fell short to the State Cut after the Taper meet by 0.51s, the cut is 54.99 and I went 55.50 :(. I have my final chance this Thursday to make states and things are looking grim with stories of almost no one has ever made states off of last chance meet. After the fly cut was lowered this year from 55.39 to 54.99, many kids I know don't have the cut, so I will have plenty of competition. I would like to know what you do to prepare for a big meet and how to drop time in a short time frame. 0.51s is a lot of time but I know its doable, or it's possible. Here are some videos of my stroke, any tips or suggestions is welcome. Thank guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcKaHUtvjlk&list=HL1361726888 55.50 day 1, Pink Suit in lane 5, Red Cap. 2nd place in heat, 3rd overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwLmOY8WUiw&list=HL1361726888 55.92 day 2 of meet, Pink Suit in lane 3. 6th place :(.

It's possible to drop half a second in the 100 fly in a week.

How'd you split your 100 fly?

Swim each day. Do some speed work and some race pace 50's but mostly easy swimming. Don't do more than 2k a day.
Do a lot of fly turns when you're swimming freestyle, concentrate on turning fast pushing off hard and streamlining skinny.
Do some fast SDK (Streamlined Dolphin Kick)
How fast is your SDK? have a kick count strategy for your race, if you're a fast kicker do a lot and get close to 15 meters. Especially off your dive. If you're not so good, do small fast kicks.

REST and get plenty of sleep.

Warm up well the day of the meet.
Regardless of how you feel you can swim fast.
Before your race,
Pull your suit up as high as it will go and tie it tight.
Wear a dome cap like an aquaV V-Lieve it or Not (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=158912#post158912)

Caffienate: drink a cup or 2 or 3 of coffee, you want to feel jittery right before your race
Don't breathe much on your last length, lifting your head, lowers your hips.
Get out fast but relaxed and smooth
Hit your turns.
Have a great touch

You can Swim Faster Faster (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=276466#post276466)
hope you do it.

knelson
February 25th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I have my final chance this Thursday to make states and things are looking grim with stories of almost no one has ever made states off of last chance meet.

Don't let this affect you. It is natural to come down after your team's big shave meet where the whole team is pulling for each other, but you've got to stay mentally focused. If you don't think you can do it when you're standing behind the blocks odds are you won't.

As far as your stroke you're obviously not going to make any major changes right now. Just think about the little things. An explosive start, great underwaters, fast turns, great finish. A tenth here and a tenth there might be all you need to make the cut. Good luck!

joel schmaltz
February 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I agree with sickfish in regards to the turns. I also agree with everyone else that confidence and staying focused important. I am big into visualizing my races and it seems works for me. You have already done the work.

Best of luck to you!

gobears
February 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM
. I have my final chance this Thursday to make states and things are looking grim with stories of almost no one has ever made states off of last chance meet.

I once went my best time after a 3 year plateau in the 100 breaststroke at a last chance qualifying meet. Made the qualifying time and finally dropped time in that event. It can be done!!! Think positive and race!

5MWC
February 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM
It's possible to drop half a second in the 100 fly in a week.

How'd you split your 100 fly?

Swim each day. Do some speed work and some race pace 50's but mostly easy swimming. Don't do more than 2k a day.
Do a lot of fly turns when you're swimming freestyle, concentrate on turning fast pushing off hard and streamlining skinny.
Do some fast SDK (Streamlined Dolphin Kick)
How fast is your SDK? have a kick count strategy for your race, if you're a fast kicker do a lot and get close to 15 meters. Especially off your dive. If you're not so good, do small fast kicks.

REST and get plenty of sleep.

Warm up well the day of the meet.
Regardless of how you feel you can swim fast.
Before your race,
Pull your suit up as high as it will go and tie it tight.
Wear a dome cap like an aquaV V-Lieve it or Not (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=158912#post158912)

Caffienate: drink a cup or 2 or 3 of coffee, you want to feel jittery right before your race
Don't breathe much on your last length, lifting your head, lowers your hips.
Get out fast but relaxed and smooth
Hit your turns.
Have a great touch

You can Swim Faster Faster (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=276466#post276466)
hope you do it.

Man, I already used a dome cap, but when should I drink the coffee? I am a fast dolphin kicker so I'll try working on my turns this week. Thanks for the advice and all the support guys.

__steve__
February 26th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Go to bed at 7 PM tonight and sleep-in tomorrow morning. You will be rested up by Thursday no matter what.

Also stretch the ankles and streamline arm positions now.

ande
February 26th, 2013, 03:53 PM
when should I drink the coffee?
30 - 45 minutes before your race

5MWC
February 28th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Ended up going a 56.32 and missed it, thanks for your support and help. My season is over, probably going to get back in the pool as soon as possible for next year. Last-chance meet just isn't a meet to go fast in.

ElaineK
February 28th, 2013, 10:18 PM
:bighug: Sorry to hear you missed it. Good luck next season!

ekw
March 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM
Sorry to hear you missed the cut. :sad:

I think your determination will pay off big time next year, though! :cheerleader: