PDA

View Full Version : Best post-workout drink ever?

ALM
February 24th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Scientists suggest beer after a workout :chug:
The Washington Times
February 10, 2013

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/10/scientists-suggest-beer-after-workout/

Fresnoid
February 24th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Ohhh, AFTER. :blush:

ElaineK
February 24th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Scientists suggest beer after a workout :chug:
The Washington Times
February 10, 2013

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/10/scientists-suggest-beer-after-workout/

By the looks of your avatar, you figured that out a long time ago! ;)

Bobinator
February 24th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I hate to be boring but for me it's water. A beer or cocktail is fine after some food and a shower.

rxleakem
February 24th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I always make a protein shake after working out, currently using Body Fortress since is stocked at work and on sale.

mcnair
February 24th, 2013, 06:24 PM
The stouter the beer the better, right? Actually, I wonder if the kind of beer is relative to the kind of workout. I imagine a good Irish stout would be excellent after a distance day; should you go with a pilsner for taper? Or maybe a bock after sprints? Oh my... so much experimenting to do now!

ekw
February 24th, 2013, 07:31 PM
The stouter the beer the better, right? Actually, I wonder if the kind of beer is relative to the kind of workout. I imagine a good Irish stout would be excellent after a distance day; should you go with a pilsner for taper? Or maybe a bock after sprints? Oh my... so much experimenting to do now!

SCIENCE!

:banana: :chug:

ourswimmer
February 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I generally follow a pretty low-carbohydrate diet but I do solemnly swear that Racer 5 (http://www.bearrepublic.com/) is the best recovery drink ever after a 10K. After ordinary morning practice I go for water and a meal with pretty even proportions of carbohydrate, protein, and fat (e.g., full-fat yogurt with fruit and nuts, or hard-boiled eggs with cooked greens).

slow
February 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I agree with rxleakem. I am using the Optimum Nutrition chocolate stuff that the triathlon people pointed out to me.

Bobinator
February 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Chocolate milk is a cheap and totally acceptable post workout drink. Due to my portly body type I'll stick with water.

ElaineK
February 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Chocolate milk is a cheap and totally acceptable post workout drink. Due to my portly body type I'll stick with water.

8th Continent Light Chocolate Soy Milk is a lower calorie (90 for 8oz) option and tastes great! A serving has 6g of protein; perhaps not enough for some of you out there. But, you could always add protein powder to it; perhaps a lower cost and healthier option than some of the prepared protein shakes on the market.

I pour some in an aluminum water bottle and stick in the freezer while I get dressed and gather my gear for the pool. I then place the bottle in a frozen wine bottle chill sleeve that is designed to keep wine bottles cold. It keeps the soy milk nice and slushy for after my swim. By the time I finish my workout and stretch, I am SO ready for it! :drool:

SuperChloe
February 24th, 2013, 08:55 PM
My nutrition professor told us that milk or chocolate milk is the best post-workout drink. I both hate milk and am lactose intolerant so I won't be testing that out! I usually drink coffee after I swim... :blush: I gave up coffee for Lent though (oh, the headaches!) and now I just drink water after I swim.

ElaineK
February 24th, 2013, 09:21 PM
My nutrition professor told us that milk or chocolate milk is the best post-workout drink. I both hate milk and am lactose intolerant so I won't be testing that out! I usually drink coffee after I swim... :blush: I gave up coffee for Lent though (oh, the headaches!) and now I just drink water after I swim.

Have you tried chocolate soy milk? It is lactose free and tastes yummy (I don't like Silk though; only 8th Continent). :D

SuperChloe
February 24th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Oh yes, I love soy milk! I like the vanilla ones myself. I still don't like it after I workout, though--clear liquids only!

jaadams1
February 24th, 2013, 10:15 PM
If I'm thirsty and run down after my evening workouts, I'll stop by the quickie mart and get a 44oz. Mountain Dew. Works good on rehydration, or at least it tastes good! :) Plus I can drink it and still get to sleep.
May not be the best post-workout drink...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS446Nhm3kppCp7cFVsSfkQ3AyCpbGAe 9T7Eps-_qJPKscxQ-L0

Heather Messerly
February 24th, 2013, 11:53 PM
My favorite post workout drink is chocolate milk. But i really enjoy after races, or birthday swims, going out for a beer with my lane mates.:D

OTE=Jayhawk;283064]Scientists suggest beer after a workout :chug:
The Washington Times
February 10, 2013

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/10/scientists-suggest-beer-after-workout/[/QUOTE]

knelson
February 25th, 2013, 01:08 AM
I drink beer after nearly every workout (other than morning workouts). I do wait till I get home, though. Cracking one open in the locker room is frowned upon. :)

Bill Sive
February 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I use Gatorade #3 - Recovery
or
Coconut Water

Syd
February 25th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Oh yes, I love soy milk! I like the vanilla ones myself. I still don't like it after I workout, though--clear liquids only!
Plain soy milk for me. Freshly made. Warm, unsweetened.

jethro
February 25th, 2013, 09:46 AM
If I'm thirsty and run down after my evening workouts, I'll stop by the quickie mart and get a 44oz. Mountain Dew. Works good on rehydration, or at least it tastes good! :) Plus I can drink it and still get to sleep.
May not be the best post-workout drink...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS446Nhm3kppCp7cFVsSfkQ3AyCpbGAe 9T7Eps-_qJPKscxQ-L0

Yes! Mountain Dew: Elixir of the gods.

mlabresh
February 25th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I drink Gatorade during workouts and refill my water bottle with water when I get out of the pool. But, after an evening practice, when I get home I usually have beer while fixing dinner. :) Sadly, our season just ended (age group I swim with) and we won't be having evening practices again until next fall. So, not likely having post workout beer for a while (aside from the days my husband and I fail to get up to swim in the AM and go in the evening instead!).

jaadams1
February 25th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I drink beer after nearly every workout (other than morning workouts). I do wait till I get home, though. Cracking one open in the locker room is frowned upon. :)

Doesn't your team (like mine) have a policy against alcohol? :D

knelson
February 25th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Doesn't your team (like mine) have a policy against alcohol? :D

I might have to take the Fifth on that :)

Woofus B. Loofus
February 25th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I use Premier Nutrition protein (30g) shakes (chocolate and vanilla). Costco has them in boxes of 18, and they go on manufacturer's discount every May (20% off), bringing the price down to a little over a dollar per shake. Every May I buy a year's supply. First thing I do when I get out to the parking lot after workouts is stick a straw in one. Heavenly.

ElaineK
February 25th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I use Premier Nutrition protein (30g) shakes (chocolate and vanilla). Costco has them in boxes of 18, and they go on manufacturer's discount every May (20% off), bringing the price down to a little over a dollar per shake. Every May I buy a year's supply. First thing I do when I get out to the parking lot after workouts is stick a straw in one. Heavenly.

:wave: Hi Woofus! Nice to see you pop up here on the forums from time to time. Give my best to Y/Z!
Sorry for the :hijack:

tigerchik
February 25th, 2013, 10:57 PM
8th Continent Light Chocolate Soy Milk is a lower calorie (90 for 8oz) option and tastes great! A serving has 6g of protein; perhaps not enough for some of you out there. But, you could always add protein powder to it; perhaps a lower cost and healthier option than some of the prepared protein shakes on the market.

I pour some in an aluminum water bottle and stick in the freezer while I get dressed and gather my gear for the pool. I then place the bottle in a frozen wine bottle chill sleeve that is designed to keep wine bottles cold. It keeps the soy milk nice and slushy for after my swim. By the time I finish my workout and stretch, I am SO ready for it! :drool:

Why lite stuff post workout? Calories post workout good... save the light stuff for the rest of the day :-)

Chocolate milk, chocolate soymilk, or yogurt for me post-workout. All have the 4:1 CHO:PRO ratio and are cheaper than fancy recovery drinks.

knelson
February 26th, 2013, 09:21 AM
What's up with all the discussion of other post-workout drinks. This thread is supposed to be about BEER! Yesterday I had a Sierra Nevada Celebration after workout.

ekw
February 26th, 2013, 10:36 AM
What's up with all the discussion of other post-workout drinks. This thread is supposed to be about BEER! Yesterday I had a Sierra Nevada Celebration after workout.
According to a billboard I pass frequently, Weinhard's is now available in the deep South. :banana:

mcnair
February 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Ouch... I thought Lent was about penance, not outright suicide! Dante's Inferno, circle 7, wood of the suicides... full of folks who went cold turkey on their caffeine addiction.

guppy
February 26th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I might have to take the Fifth on that :)

But . . . a fifth of what?

ElaineK
February 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Why lite stuff post workout? Calories post workout good... save the light stuff for the rest of the day :-)

Chocolate milk, chocolate soymilk, or yogurt for me post-workout. All have the 4:1 CHO:PRO ratio and are cheaper than fancy recovery drinks.

I go light on the chocolate soymilk, because I go home and have cereal for breakfast (Kashi Go Lean or something else high fiber/ high protein, sliced almonds, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, and blueberries, with light vanilla soymilk). So, I am getting plenty of calories there. Besides, I would prefer to bank my calories for chocolate! :bliss:And, I do really like the taste of that particular soymilk. :agree:

ElaineK
February 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM

:chug: Sounds great! But if I drank beer after my morning workout, I would end up :bed:.

knelson
February 26th, 2013, 02:33 PM
But . . . a fifth of what?

Beethoven.

ElaineK
February 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Beethoven.

:lmao:

guppy
February 26th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Beethoven.

OK . . . but watch out for the second movement.

knelson
February 27th, 2013, 12:38 AM

Da da da dum!...

Syd
February 27th, 2013, 02:58 AM
That would come after a cup of coffee, yes?