PDA

View Full Version : Club questions

magick17
February 26th, 2013, 06:17 PM
If you swim for a team or club what are your facilities?
what types of difficulties do you face..practice time, pool temp, etc?
how do the swimmers handle these changes?
how does the club communicate changes and do they offer make up times etc?
do you pay annually or monthly?

mlabresh
February 26th, 2013, 06:40 PM
My Masters group is summer only. The pool we swim in is a public pool. It is LCM and only open through the summer months (outdoor). Our practice time is 5:30-7 AM. It's early... I'd prefer an evening practice. But we're swimmers and swimmers generally accept early morning practices if that's what is available. The temperature is decent - now and then it might be a bit warm or cold due to weather conditions, but never to the point of unbearable. We pay our Masters dues monthly, $45/mo (only June/July now), plus we pay a pool usage fee, $80, at the beginning of our season. We have practice 5 days a week and only cancel due to weather (since it's summer, that would be because of thunderstorms). They have a hotline for us to call to confirm whether or not there is practice and there are no make up times offered.

The rest of the year I swim at an indoor public pool and with my kids' age group team. Those are both a different set of answers. :)

SuperChloe
February 27th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I swim with a workout group Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday mornings from 7:30-8:30. We workout at the local college's pool which is really very nice and a good temperature for swimming. We pay $5 a practice, or 10 practices for $40, and it doesn't expire. Some people come once a week and get 10 weeks out of that, I go to every practice so I get 3 weeks (plus one day). There are no makeups, and there is only one coach so if she goes out of town, there is no practice. We do not have access to the pool at any other times, because you're supposed to be a student or staff/faculty at the college to use it.

Other days that I want to swim, I swim at the YWCA. It's also $5 per use (on a punch pass of 15 uses that never expires). The pool is therapeutic, AKA HOT, and the lifeguards don't keep floaters/noodlers out of the lap lanes. It can be crowded or it can be completely deserted depending on what day/time you go.

ande
February 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I swim for TXLA / Longhorn Masters (http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/programs/masters/)

what are your facilities?
Mostly the UT Swim Center (http://www.tsc.utexas.edu/about.php), but sometimes of the year we train in a few other pools around Austin

what types of difficulties do you face
morning practice times change often
pool temp usually not an issue, the diving well is warmer than the main pool
I live 40 miles from the pool & need to leave 45 min before practice to arrive on time

We deal with it

emails from the coach to the masters email list
Updates on the Masters Schedule website (http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/schedules/masters-swimming-practices/)

do you pay, annually or monthly?
annually, around $800/year

Chris Stevenson
February 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM

Standalone aquatic center owned by a USA-S club, also used for lessons and rec swim (besides USMS and USA-S practices).

What types of difficulties do you face..practice time, pool temp, etc?
How do the swimmers handle these changes?

Organized practices are 5X per week 5:45-7:15, though swimmers start leaving after about an hour if they have work or whatever. Although there are no organized practices on weekend, masters membership also allows one to use the pool during rec swim time and there are plenty times to come in during the weekend.

Biggest difficulty is sharing with the USA-S team, which is 800+ swimmers and swims in the morning. We normally get 3 lanes in the morning (there are two 10-lane pools in the facility) and sometimes it can get a little crowded. But the AG coaches are good and will sometimes donate extra lanes when necessary.

The AG practice ends at 6:30am so after that it becomes less crowded. But in the summer we are often "stuck" at 3 lanes for the whole practice. And the demand for masters practices increases in the summer because some college swimmers prefer to swim with the masters group to stay in shape instead of training "seriously." There are also some college IM club swimmers who sometimes practice with us.

Dealing with it is easier during the school year, sometimes we have to modify the first set. In the summer if crowding is particularly bad then I'll supplement with practices on my own or with another group.

How does the club communicate changes and do they offer make up times etc?

Communications is thru the club website -- masters has a section of the USA-S website -- and by email. We have only one coach and if he cannot make practice than usually he can find a substitute. Practices are rarely cancelled though we often don't have practices on holidays. There are no make-ups, though as I said you can swim during rec swim time.

Do you pay annually or monthly?

By month, the monthly fee is $50.

knelson
February 27th, 2013, 10:43 AM

I swim with a USA Swimming club team primarily. The team uses several pools that are owned and operated by the City of Seattle. They are all six lane, 25 yards pools (with the exception of the outdoor long course pool used in the summer).

Practice time is the biggest challenge for me. Usually 11 practices per week are offered for the senior group (morning and afternoon on weekdays and morning Saturday). Since the team caters to kids it's based on their school schedule which doesn't always jibe with my work schedule. Morning practices during much of the school year are from 5:00-6:30. This is a little late for me. I like to get to work by 6:30, 7:00 at the latest and it's a 20 mile drive to work from the pool. Afternoon practices start at 4:00 and I'm usually not able to get there until around 4:30. There are occasional practice cancellations or time changes due to swim meets using the pool. Some people would consider the water temperature too high (around 84-85), but I'm used to it by now.

I handle it by getting to practice late in the afternoon. My coach understands I'm an adult and may need to get in late or leave early.

Emails, website, communication by the coach at practice.

I pay an annual membership fee and pay for training monthly ($165 per month, currently).

jaadams1
March 2nd, 2013, 07:13 PM

I now swim with a USA Swimming club team. We swim at two different pools, 50% of the time at a local YMCA pool, and 50% of the time at the Wenatchee High School pool. During the summer, we get access to the outdoor 50 meter pool in town.

My masters practices are from 5:00-7:00am, and are honestly not organized too well (which was part of my reason for the USA club choice). It's more of a "free-for-all" type of swim, which for me was just crazy at times.

My age group club practices Monday-Friday from 7:00-9:00pm which for me works well, aside from trying to get to sleep after working out like that. I do have to work at 5:00am, so sometimes I'm sleep deprived. Saturday mornings are from 8:00-10:00am. They were offering two mornings a week at the h.s. pool from 5:30-7:00am, but those may be gone, as they weren't too popular. I would've done them, but work is first.
Pool temps vary at the two facilities...84ish at the YMCA pool, and 80-81 at the high school pool. You can really tell the difference day to day, but neither one really bothers me or makes me happy either way. I just swim in whatever I have available.
Practices vary at times as well, but the coach does a good job at letting us know the time changes in advance (usually).
When the team has meets, practices get cancelled, but I can always go pay $6 for a YMCA lap swim session, which has its flaws as well. :)

Emails, website, communication by the coach at practice. We get emails quite regularly from the coach, and Facebook is nice too (but you have to be a friend of the coach or Like the team).

I pay an annual membership fee and pay for training monthly ($110 per month, currently).[/QUOTE]

Bill Sive
March 2nd, 2013, 07:33 PM
If you swim for a team or club what are your facilities? Two pools 1) SCM (indoor) 2) SCY (outdoor)

what types of difficulties do you face..practice time, pool temp, etc? practice Mon & Wed AM 5:30am - 6:30am; Mon-Thu 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm; Sat 9:30 am - 11:00 am, Sun 7:30 am - 9:00 am; city events, swimming - water polo events make us change pools or cancel workout. Indoor pool is warm, outdoor pool is cool

how do the swimmers handle these changes? fairly well

how does the club communicate changes and do they offer make up times etc? no makeups, communicate via Twitter, E-Mail

do you pay annually or monthly? monthly, quarterly, or annually

Swim With Mike
http://swimwithmike.org/swimmer/?swimmerID=11169 (http://thecmg.info/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4425&qid=1075020)

ALM
March 2nd, 2013, 11:24 PM
Sarasota, Florida, YMCA. 70-meter outdoor pool with two bulkheads.

What types of difficulties do you face..practice time, pool temp, etc?
We've lived with port-a-potties and changing tents on the pool deck for the past two months while the old locker rooms were gutted. We'll have brand-new locker rooms for the Pan American Championships this summer.

Pool temperature is always perfect; 79-80 degrees. Heated in the winter, chilled in the summer.

During the week there are four practice times: 5:30am, 7:00am, 8:30am, and 6:00pm. On Saturdays there is usually one morning pool practice and one open water practice (year-round).

How does the club communicate changes and do they offer make up times etc?
Communication is done through an email list and the club's web site.

Do you pay annually or monthly?
Monthly via credit card auto-billing. Monthly fee is $42.00 for YMCA members; $57.00 for non-Y members.

aztimm
March 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM

I swim with Mesa Aquatics masters. We have 2 pool complexes where workouts are typically scheduled, both city owned/operated. Kino Aquatics Center and Skyline Aquatics Center.
http://www.mesaaz.gov/parksrec/Aquatics/pools/Kino.aspx
http://www.mesaaz.gov/parksrec/Aquatics/pools/Skyline.aspx

There are scheduled practice times for each pool. Generally M-F at Kino is 5:30am/noon/6pm. Skyline is a bit more limited. There are Sat/Sun workouts at Kino too. Full schedule is here:
http://www.teamunify.com/TabGeneric.jsp?_tabid_=20231&team=amsmac

swimmers either come or they don't. our pools are outside, but water is heated. it can get cold here during winter. it can also get warm in summer; they do aerate water trying to cool it, but water temp can exceed 86 in summer.
I also belong to a gym with a dozen or so locations around the area. sometimes if a workout doesn't work for my schedule, I'll do a solo swim there. Or I'll swim solo at a city pool during lap swim. Or occasionally swim with another masters group. there are 2 other large masters groups in the area, as well as several small groups. one small group has just morning workouts M-F, but they swim very close to where I live.

changes are communicated by email, through the club's Facebook page, and usually posted to the website. I've heard of others who get texts/calls, but I never have.
if there's something else going on (another meet, water polo, synchro, etc), our coaches will usually move our workouts early/late to accommodate. on holidays workouts may be consolidated or occasionally canceled.
when the pools themselves have maintenance and will be closed, they always get space at other city pools. every year Kino is typically closed for 2 weeks while they drain/refill it, and do other things. we'll have those workouts at Carson pool, and we're always welcome to go to Skyline. similar happens when maintenance happens at Skyline...

dues are billed to my credit card monthly. I think there are annual and semi-annual options...I keep meaning to look into them but never do.
we can also bill our team's swim meets, merchandise (suits, equipment, team shirts/caps), etc to our our accounts.

knelson
March 3rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
dues are billed to my credit card monthly.

That's nice. One thing that annoys me about me team is I have to send in a check every month. That's the only thing I still have to pay by check!

splacke
March 3rd, 2013, 09:32 PM

I am attached to San Diego Swim Masters, but never work out with them. My workout group is Mottino YMCA in Oceanside, CA. 6- lane 25 yard shallow (semi) deep pool.

we have got the pool management to keep the temp at 82. The bobbers say it is too cold and we say it is too warm. Practices are 5:30 - 6:30 MWF, 9-10 T, Th and 7-8 Sat. There are also workouts Mon and Wed evening 7-8. The pool is open for lap swim any time the YMCA is open.

$41 a month for Y membership and $25 for three workouts a week and $35 for five workouts.

ALLISONWARE
March 4th, 2013, 04:25 PM
If you swim for a team or club what are your facilities? Excel Aquatics..We swim primarily at Williamson County Indoor Sports Complex, a gorgeous 5-12' deep pool with about 20 lanes SCY (we usually have 5-6) & 8 lanes LCM (every weekend, we get 4). Practice times for Masters are M/W/F 5-6:30a & 8:30-10a. The triathletes practice T/F 5-6:30a, W 6:30-8:30p & Sun 3:30-5p. There are also running form drills/sessions on Monday mornings from 5-6:30 & Strength/Power Conditioning & Short Swim practices on Thurs 5-6:30a. During summer the triathletes swim at a lake 6:30-8a & the Tues am practice is at a local Y with an outdoor LCM pool 5:15-6:30a, 3 lanes, shallow, odd currents.

what types of difficulties do you face..practice time, pool temp, etc? Pool Management can be snarky. The AG team is massive, taking up most of the lanes almost all other times around school. The temp can be warm but not too bad & the lanes can get semi-crowded at times when everyone is there. If the kids have meets the pool will be closed, sometimes for part of all of the weekend. The weather can wreak havoc on the lake & outdoor swims (the Y guards have a very effective rain dance & they see lightning REALLY well...even when no one else can!).

how do the swimmers handle these changes? Everyone tends to go with the flow fairly well, adapting as needed.

how does the club communicate changes and do they offer make up times etc? Practice times don't change. Weekly emails are sent with practice availability, race updates & results and any news tidbits. Any other changes are sent via email & social media.

do you pay annually or monthly? Pay @ least monthly, can pay in advance, $50/mo if attending more than 2practices/wk. All done via draft now online.

aztimm
March 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM
That's nice. One thing that annoys me about me team is I have to send in a check every month. That's the only thing I still have to pay by check!

When I swam with the Tucson masters team (late 90s), we had to pay by check by I think the 5th, or there were late charges. Then when I first started with the ASU group, again it was check...until the management changed, then they started the credit card thing. For a while we had to sign in before swimming, which was rather annoying.
I can imagine from a management process, auto billing makes it easier on the coaches, that they don't have to get involved with who's paid and who hasn't (and shouldn't be swimming), unless there are major issues.

I'm sure that there's fees to do the credit card thing, but in the end, it makes it much easier, from both ends. Plus I'm able to get my frequent flyer miles :)
Paul & Laura really run a well-organized program.

Rnovitske
March 12th, 2013, 10:43 PM
We rent space in the indoors season from the county rec centers. In the summer, we rent from the local private neighborhood pools.

Temperatures are all right, except for one of the pools. The biggest difficulty is that we are squeezed for the amount of lanes we can rent. The county always has lap swimming available to the public, and that is their first priority. So, we are swimming 7 to a 25-yd lane sometimes to give the public lappers one (maybe 2) to a lane lane.

What changes? Nothing changes. Swimmers accept the crowded conditions during popular times. Other workout times, there is space. Some swimmers have switched to less popular workout times.

You mean cancellations? They rarely happen. Snowstorms and biohazard closures happen from time to time. They are out of our control, and swimmers accept it. The county refunds our $ if the pool closes. We send out an email blast for last minute changes, and for reminders if the cancellation is known ahead of time.

Neither. We pay seasonally. Sept-Jan / Feb-May / June-Aug. We have 14 workouts a week, and you can attend any at any of the 3 or 4 pools. Our philosophy is that everyone buys into the program and shares the cost of the coach/pool, so all are available. You use it as you want to. (We do have a reduced rate for averaging one swim per week, and prorate fees if starting in the middle of a season. We also have a one month fee for new members who want to try it out before deciding to commit and continue) We accept checks or online credit card payments using our Paypal account.