PDA

View Full Version : What stroke are you best at? (not necessarily favorite)

nhc
February 27th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Note: This poll is not about your "favorite stroke (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?5305-What-is-your-favorite-stroke)", for which there is already a thread (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?5305-What-is-your-favorite-stroke), although for many the two coincide. I think this should be a more interesting aspect, technique-wise.

pwb
February 27th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Where's the IM choice? That is by far my best stroke!

This one is a hard one for me to answer as it varies by distance, some more clear than others

For a 500 & up, freestyle
For a 50 or a 200, butterfly
For a 100, probably butterfly ... but only if I'm tapered just right or if I could wear my B70 Nero Comp again ... otherwise, my 100s routinely disappoint me

It has also varied by age ...

When I was 15 or 16, my best 200 was backstroke and I'm not sure I had the strength to swim a 200 fly
By the time I was 19 or 20, my best 200 was butterfly and I flopped around like a dead fish on backstroke
... and, so, I suspect it will vary further as I age

... but there is one truth in my swimming that will never change -- breaststroke will always be, by far, my weakest stroke. That is, until Mr. Salnikov has his way with the stroke and I can do 60% of it all underwater SDK (http://swimswam.com/russian-pres-says-breaststroke-underwater-rules-may-be-changing-again/). Then, and only then, might I be able to finally say I can swim breaststroke ... precisely by not swimming it.

nhc
February 27th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Age will probably be decisive later in life: an 85-yr old most likely can't do any other stroke better than backstroke :D

Btw, I wonder if Mr. Salnikov stopped swimming years ago? He seems to have gained a lot of weight.

__steve__
February 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Freestyle seems to work best for me, especially inversely proportional to distance, backstroke was the easiest to learn, breast is my worst but should be my best, and fly was the easiest to swim fast but most difficult for to build endurance.

I learned free almost 5 years ago, fly about 3 years ago, back a little over 2 years ago, and I'm not certain I've really learned breaststroke yet - lol

gobears
February 27th, 2013, 07:51 AM
... but there is one truth in my swimming that will never change -- breaststroke will always be, by far, my weakest stroke. That is, until Mr. Salnikov has his way with the stroke and I can do 60% of it all underwater SDK (http://swimswam.com/russian-pres-says-breaststroke-underwater-rules-may-be-changing-again/). Then, and only then, might I be able to finally say I can swim breaststroke ... precisely by not swimming it.

That would suck. Might as well get rid of all the short course stroke 50's then and just have a 50 dolphin kick...

SuperChloe
February 27th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I think my best are the 50 free and then all the backstroke events. I'm not as good at the other freestyle events, and I'm terrible at fly and breast.

ekw
February 27th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Like pwb, my answer depends on distance. For distances under 500, backstroke is definitely my best. For distances over 500, I'm best at freestyle. That said, if the 500 backstroke were a recognized event, that would probably be my best.

From a technical standpoint, I suspect my backstroke is my best stroke as I actually use my legs, so I made that my choice for the poll answer.

The Fortress
February 27th, 2013, 12:14 PM
... but there is one truth in my swimming that will never change -- breaststroke will always be, by far, my weakest stroke. That is, until Mr. Salnikov has his way with the stroke and I can do 60% of it all underwater SDK (http://swimswam.com/russian-pres-says-breaststroke-underwater-rules-may-be-changing-again/).

I can't believe backstroke is in the lead! So many masters seem to grumble about it.

I will be over the moon if the breaststroke rule is changed for the start! But I thought Salnikov's comments were very ambiguous. What does he mean that 2-3 would be the maximum kicks one might take? That only makes sense if there were a 15 m rule in breaststroke, which there isn't and there was no explicit suggestion that such a rule would be added. Without a 15 meter rule, you could take 10+ dolphin kicks to the 15 m mark and then do a breast pullout. I don't see why you'd eliminate a pullout unless you were worried about oxygen. If they did impose a 15 meter rule, then yeah I'd skip the pullout and just kick to the 15 m mark.

Another article on same: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/MorningSwimShow/33586.asp

nhc
February 27th, 2013, 12:15 PM
if the 500 backstroke were a recognized event

Why is there no 400m or longer backstroke race? It would be really nice to watch (if not swim :D).

Sportygeek
February 27th, 2013, 04:54 PM
if the 500 backstroke were a recognized event

Why is there no 400m or longer backstroke race?

Us weird people in Australia race backstroke at distances up to and including 1500m. Records to beat: http://www.portal.aussi.org.au/records/records.php

(Note: those races held only at specific long-distance LC or long-distance SC meets. In my state, you won't even get a 400 free outside of that. Main Nationals only has standard events)

ekw
February 27th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Us weird people in Australia race backstroke at distances up to and including 1500m. Records to beat: http://www.portal.aussi.org.au/records/records.php

(Note: those races held only at specific long-distance LC or long-distance SC meets. In my state, you won't even get a 400 free outside of that. Main Nationals only has standard events)

:applaud:

Unfortunately, librarian is not on the Skilled Occupations List for Australian work visa consideration so I'm SOL for not being on the SOL. :( I could see swimming backstroke in a longer freestyle race for the fun of it someday, though, but probably not meters because those meets are hard to find around here.

tigerchik
February 27th, 2013, 09:29 PM
That would suck. Might as well get rid of all the short course stroke 50's then and just have a 50 dolphin kick...

What's sdk? I've asked this before and forgot what it is.

I am a freestylist by trade.

ekw
February 27th, 2013, 09:39 PM
What's sdk? I've asked this before and forgot what it is.

I am a freestylist by trade.

Submerged dolphin kick

Fresnoid
February 27th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I have an impingement in both shoulders which creates tendonitis whenever I swim & caused tears in both rotator cuffs at one point. So, no Fly

I've had surgery on both knees and any variation of a frog kick will make them ache for days.
So, no Breast

My ankles are incredibly stiff, which is probably exacerbated by running a lot. I get almost no propulsion from a flutter kick.
So, no Back.

That leaves Free for me.

The Fortress
February 27th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Submerged dolphin kick

Streamline dolphin kick! :)

ekw
February 27th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Streamline dolphin kick! :)

Ooooh that's my problem! :D

nhc
February 27th, 2013, 11:33 PM

That's exciting :agree: Are there video clips for such long distance backstroke? Would very much like to see them!

Allen Stark
February 28th, 2013, 12:40 AM
My best stroke is breaststroke,my favorite stroke is breaststroke. SDK is not my favorite stroke nor is it my best stroke. SDK makes sense to be legal in fly because it is part of fly.It makes sense to be legal in BK because any stroke is legal in BK as long as you are on your back.It makes sense to be legal in free because freestyle means any style.It makes no sense to be legal in BR and if FINA had any guts it wouldn't be.Put underwater cameras at the big meets. DQ a few big name cheaters and people won't risk it at small meets because they won't want to risk practicing cheating and have to swim differently when it counts.

nhc
February 28th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Should make SDK a separate competition event, and not allowed in any of the other 4 strokes (or except butterfly, maybe). That would be name-deserving competitions for each stroke.:D

orca1946
February 28th, 2013, 05:22 PM
O K I did ONLY free in HS & college. Soooo --- how did I become more of a fly swimmer???
Everybody else gave up on it cuz it hurts to do 200's fly !!!

jaadams1
February 28th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I'm best at Freestyle, but my favorite stroke is Fly. I try to hit the 200 Fly as often as possible in meets, but most of my training is freestyle/IM based. I also like the IM's, mainly the 400 IM because my endurance from Freestyle training carries me through that.

ElaineK
February 28th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I'm best at Freestyle, but my favorite stroke is Fly. I try to hit the 200 Fly as often as possible in meets, but most of my training is freestyle/IM based. I also like the IM's, mainly the 400 IM because my endurance from Freestyle training carries me through that.

200 fly is my worst event, but I'm like you; I like the 200 fly! Too bad they don't have a 2000 fly... :bouncing:

mcnair
March 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM
200 fly is my worst event, but I'm like you; I like the 200 fly! Too bad they don't have a 2000 fly... :bouncing:

2000 fly?! I saw you mention that in another post, Elaine, and thought it must be a typo. How do you build up endurance for a 2000 fly? People around here think I'm certifiable for doing an 800 IM in practice. I like fly "in theory"; but it is my 2nd worst stroke. I'd like to like it more, but I find it's coming so slowly.

nhc
March 1st, 2013, 05:10 PM
2000 fly?! I saw you mention that in another post, Elaine, and thought it must be a typo. How do you build up endurance for a 2000 fly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pzu5_9QZL4

mcnair
March 1st, 2013, 06:50 PM

Thump! [sound of jaw dropping to floor]

ekw
March 1st, 2013, 06:52 PM

Thump! [sound of jaw dropping to floor]

Has the mystery of That Guy's real identity been solved?!?! :bolt:

ElaineK
March 1st, 2013, 09:40 PM
2000 fly?! I saw you mention that in another post, Elaine, and thought it must be a typo. How do you build up endurance for a 2000 fly? People around here think I'm certifiable for doing an 800 IM in practice. I like fly "in theory"; but it is my 2nd worst stroke. I'd like to like it more, but I find it's coming so slowly.

It's no typo: 4PJouksr3wI&feature=share&list=UUaJqJScxsYtclOJAW-i-gpw

BfKKZa3uUYM&list=UUaJqJScxsYtclOJAW-i-gpw&index=101

Don't look at my technique; there are plenty of stroke flaws in my fly during that swim! :afraid:

I didn't set out to build endurance in fly; I just had it from all of the swimming I have been doing. My initial goal actually, as a non-flyer, was to see if I could swim a legal 200 fly. I had my husband record it, so I could post the video and ask if it was all legal. When I hit the 200 mark, though, I felt better than at the 50 mark, so I decided to keep going to see how long I could go. At the 900 point, I stopped, because my husband was yelling over to me that the memory card was full (I forgot to clear it beforehand). By that time, it wasn't a continuous fly, so I stopped.

I was SHOCKED that I was able to swim 900 yards of fly and decided to try again in a couple of weeks to see if I could make it past 1,000. This time, I returned with the camera on a tripod, so my husband wouldn't :bitching: about hand-holding the camera for so long! :bighug: Unfortunately, the camera decided the file was getting too large, so it automatically started writing it to the card before I reached 2,000. But, the first clip is most of my swim. Bruce then started the camera again, but the battery died at the 2,000 yard mark. By the time Bruce explained what happened, I had stopped at the wall for too long, so it was no longer continuous and I quit. But, I am sure I could have gone longer. That may explain why my coach thinks I am better suited as a distance swimmer, rather than a sprinter! :D

That Guy
March 2nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Has the mystery of That Guy's real identity been solved?!?! :bolt: :dunno:

mcnair
March 4th, 2013, 11:56 PM
It's no typo: ... But, I am sure I could have gone longer. That may explain why my coach thinks I am better suited as a distance swimmer, rather than a sprinter! :D

That's really pretty inspiring, Elaine! It does look like you just got into a rhythm and kept going. I'm going to try to build up my fly endurance and technique too; and I'd love to be able to do 500 by this summer, maybe to do an open water 2000 IM (I like dreaming up these outrageous workouts). But it will be a LONG time before I'll be able to do 2000. Thanks for sharing the video!
--Alex

TRYM_Swimmer
March 5th, 2013, 04:34 PM
My best stroke is breaststroke,my favorite stroke is breaststroke. SDK is not my favorite stroke nor is it my best stroke. SDK makes sense to be legal in fly because it is part of fly.It makes sense to be legal in BK because any stroke is legal in BK as long as you are on your back.It makes sense to be legal in free because freestyle means any style.It makes no sense to be legal in BR and if FINA had any guts it wouldn't be.Put underwater cameras at the big meets. DQ a few big name cheaters and people won't risk it at small meets because they won't want to risk practicing cheating and have to swim differently when it counts.

Absolutely! It's only because of a single cheater that there is any dolphin in breaststroke. Taking it away would not bother me in the least.