PDA

View Full Version : How to correct this wooden leg (video)

acct
March 2nd, 2013, 12:22 AM
Hi, Ive been for some weeks recording myself cause i knew i had some issues which made me slow down. I have sorted them out except this wooden leg (right leg) which i dont know how to get rid of. Any tips are very appreciated. Thanks.

I edited the video, slow motion, and pointed out the issue from different angles (480p for better quality):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uep0MqOt88s

Beards247
March 2nd, 2013, 06:48 PM
I almost feel like I am seeing a balance issue, that right foot looks like its shooting to the right 90 degrees to the side to keep balance. I'd be curious to see the last view but swimming towards the camera, I suspect we'd see something funky with the left arm or some type of rotation issue. I'd also be curious to see how it changes when you swim faster.

acct
March 2nd, 2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks for you reply, Beards. I dont know whether it is a balance issue or little flexibility on my right ankle, or simply a bad habbit integrated in my swimming for many years which doesnt want to leave me alone. As for the video swimming faster towards the camera is right here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIFPNBP1HSM, I had already uploaded that one among 7 other videos from different angles, you can check them all on my youtube channel, if you need extra information. Also I can record a new one if needed.
Looking forward to the key to get rid of this wooden leg, I think I could go much faster if I sort it out.

__steve__
March 3rd, 2013, 06:13 AM
Have you tried kick sets with and without fins and free with fins?

Karl_S
March 3rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
OMG I can hardly believe someone else does this funny foot thing too.
My suspicion is that this results from a problem with your breathing.
Your "classic front view" video clearly shows that your head moves out of line with your spine every time you breathe. My guess is that your foot then splays out to maintain balance as suggested by Beards247. I've seen video of me doing exactly the same thing. Here is a suggestion: When you breathe, think about keeping a point at the very top of your skull down, but lifting your chin. Check at about 2:50, 3:22 and 5:13 in this video of KPN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bPvk0paWcg
Here is a great short video of Thorpe's breathing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcCP_SLvNgw
Note how the tope of the skull is just about motionless but the chin/face turns to the side.

gobears
March 3rd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Are you a natural breaststroke kicker? I ask because your right foot looks like what a lot of breaststrokers who can't kick freestyle very well do with their feet. You look like you're trying to get propulsion and balance by pushing your foot back instead of flutter kicking. Just a thought...

ElaineK
March 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
I edited the video, slow motion, and pointed out the issue from different angles (480p for better quality):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uep0MqOt88s

This isn't at all what you want to hear, but, can I just say that I loved your slow-mo video and editing; especially the "Now!" with the arrow? :applaud: :D

Beards247
March 3rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
This isn't at all what you want to hear, but, can I just say that I loved your slow-mo video and editing; especially the "Now!" with the arrow? :applaud: :D

Ditto. You want to learn how to get rid of that wooden leg, I want to learn how to join vids together, slow them down and add the graphics! Nicely done. And, I admire your dedication to the craft of swimming.

acct
March 3rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
thank you all! I think you have nailed it, and you cannot imagine how great it might be, because i had been a long time trying to figure it out and no clue so far. I will try to go swimming tomorrow and keep my neck straight while breathing and check whether it is the cause of the wooden leg.

Karl, for you it was also the breathing what caused your funny leg? if so, did you upload the vid so i can have a look, it is nice not feeling alone in the wooden legs world. Did you do any special drill to sort it out?

As for the videos i learnt how to do this stuff by my own and it was precisely to improve my swimming techinique, as you can see in my youtube channel all the videos are about me swimming. One of them is me swimming breaststroke, so, Gobears, you can judge by yourself if i am a natural breaststroker, tell you the truth i dont know exactly what that means.

Thank you Elainek you like my video, you can check them all, i have 8, but this one is my masterpiece, haha. I invite you all to have a look and point out any other mistakes you can see, cause i really want to shift me swimming to a new level: 1'15" in 100m event and 25' in 1500m event. Beards, it is not difficult, i did it with a software named Camtasia, the most difficult thing for me was the english, but for you supposdly native speakers it is not a problem. Sorry for my english mistakes. And once again, thank you very much for your help, i think that you solved the mistery.

Steve, i havent tried fins set yet, but if finaly the problem is the breathing issue do you think fins might help?

__steve__
March 3rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
, i havent tried fins set yet, but if finaly the problem is the breathing issue do you think fins might help?
I didn't have the interesting flair kick you are trying to fix but regarding fins: Up to two months ago, I never have tried fins, but since then I have made remarkable improvements in fr, bk, and fly, but esp free.

I believe fins may force stroke correction from the feet - up. Especially using the type with channeled guides (hydra T2). It may be worth a shot to borrow a pair and see

Karl_S
March 3rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Karl, for you it was also the breathing what caused your funny leg? if so, did you upload the vid so i can have a look, it is nice not feeling alone in the wooden legs world. Did you do any special drill to sort it out?

I have no YouTube vid, but here is a still where it can be seen.

I believe it is related to a similar breathing issue, yes. I think that I have largely fixed the breathing issue, (no video proof of that yet) and the foot issue is now much less prononuced, but it still needs work. To fix it, I've mostly been focusing on head position and toe point. One drill I have done a lot is to start out flutter kicking with no board, then add the arm stroke but only for timing. I try to generate very little propulsion with the arms. It's basically a kicking drill, with arms added for timing and body position. I try to maintain a steady even kick when I add the arms. These are exhausting, but I think are helping a lot. I tried fins but got blisters and nearly lost a toenail. I'm looking for fins that are more compatile with my feet.

ElaineK
March 3rd, 2013, 05:12 PM
One of them is me swimming breaststroke, so, Gobears, you can judge by yourself if i am a natural breaststroker, tell you the truth i dont know exactly what that means.

Thank you Elainek you like my video, you can check them all, i have 8, but this one is my masterpiece, haha...
... the most difficult thing for me was the english, but for you supposdly native speakers it is not a problem. Sorry for my english mistakes.

Mind if I judge your breaststroke? You do a great job of getting your feet turned out for the kick! :applaud: You are definitely a natural breaststroke kicker! As for your pull, it is hard to tell from just the underwater view, but it looks like your pull hesitates at the end of the insweep (in the "prayer position), just before the recovery. If you can post a topside video, as well, that would be helpful. I may be completely wrong about it, but a different video view would be great.

Now, about your English: :applaud: :bow: Most "native speakers" can't write English as well as you do, so there is no need to apologize! :D As a matter of fact, congratulations on your accomplishment of learning English so well! But, just in case you want a quick spelling lesson, "bit" should be "beat" on your video.

acct
March 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Confirmed: it was a balance issue caused by the breathe. Long time wasted, if only i had known it before.

Steve, i got these fins: Finis Zoomer Gold Swim, but the chinese imitation by Yingfa, i feel them like too heavy, is it normal? this is the first time i used fins.

Karl, i also have to doble check with a video, but i am sure i was not doing the wooden leg when i breathed properly. I dont know, but just out of curiosity, do you also have a long neck? it might be related.

Elainek, ive read about your story, now i can understand why you are such a positive person, thanks for the encouragement. As for the breaststroke style i do it just to relax muscles. Once i master freestyle i will go for the rest. You havent said anything about my butterfly haha, i know it sucks.

Thank you guys, you cannot imagine how important this discovery is.

__steve__
March 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM
i feel them like too heavy, is it normal? this is the first time i used fins.
That is interesting acct, when I put on fins for first it did feet a little awkward (like a larger gear, but with traction). Minutes later the difference was like being turbocharged with boost.

Nevertheless, glad you are on the right track of stroke correction with the balance/breathing issue, there are many drills to specifically work this area. I reviewed one of your uploads and despite the your current issue, you have an streamlined position in the water.

The fins will eventually come in handy, especially when the shoulders aren't happy once you get used to them.

ElaineK
March 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Elainek, ive read about your story, now i can understand why you are such a positive person, thanks for the encouragement. As for the breaststroke style i do it just to relax muscles. Once i master freestyle i will go for the rest. You havent said anything about my butterfly haha, i know it sucks.

You're welcome. And, thank you! As for commenting on your butterfly, I'll leave that to the flyers, because my fly "sucks", too! :afraid: (For English being your second language, you have learned the lingo quite well!)

So, acct, I see you are from Bejing. Is this your native country? If not, where are you from? Just curious...

Good luck in your continued discovery. I have followed a similar path (posting questions and stroke videos) and have learned so much from our fellow Forumites! They are a great bunch!

acct
March 7th, 2013, 12:41 AM
just found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGvjAUOaM5Y&list=UU5DIQ9_eKbK83_qDrjyTpVw&index=9 cracks me up hahaha
Please, if any of you master this part of the training let me know, id like to do it properly looking to the long term

acct
April 29th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Hi guys, thanks again for your former tips. They have been very useful for these last months in which ive been working on my technique and now i want to share with you the outcome. Ive made some changes in my style, whether or not you can notice them i promisse ive done some :) However I know there are many errors to correct still, so if you have a minute, please, let me know your critique and possible ways to correct my errrors. Thanks a lot.

Underwater shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1c5gD7U0BA

The system dont allow me to upload the shot over the water so i am trying to share it with you in the next comment.

acct
April 29th, 2013, 12:27 PM
And here goes the over the water shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOpmIX7OUU

Zurn
May 23rd, 2013, 08:07 PM
acct - Like lots of others said, breathing every 3 might correct this problem since it’s a balance issue. Your leg comes out to compensate for breathing to one side. When I get tired or am being lazy, I notices a kick to the side as well. It gets worse in open water the longer I go so I have to force myself to breath left to over compensate to fix it. I can breathe both left and right, but I prefer right and I usually only breath right. If you don't want to breathe to the left, think about driving your right hip down after you breathe. If you notice in first few videos, your left side gets great rotation, almost 90 degrees, but on your right side, when you breathe, your leg is coming over to balance out your stroke and your hip stops at say 70 degrees or so, maybe more but you can see the difference. Try driving that hip down more, think about it just after you put your face back in after breathing, drive with the hip, push your right hand out in front of you more and your funny kick should go away. You could try leaving the right hand out in front for a short pause, swimming with a bit of a catch up and see if that gives you time to get your right hip down.
Also noticed you are entering the water at the centerline of your body, this causing your hips to “wiggle” back and forth, try putting your hands in the water a bit wider, like shoulder width apart. This will help correct your wiggle and fix your balance as well. Two drills that might help, “Superman Catch-Up” – swim with your hands very wide, wider than your shoulders while doing a catch-up stroke. You really have to kick to make this work. The other would be swimming with a kick board out in front of you doing a catch up stroke as well. Put the kickboard out in front, put your head down in a stream line position with each hand holding the sides of the kickboard and swim a catch-up drill, one arm at a time. Fins will help with both these drills. There is a Go Swim video of the kickboard catch-up drill that also does the superman catch-up at the end. Hope that helps. I know others have this issue as well, the key is to think about the hips. Drive evenly to both sides and it will help you to stay balanced.