PDA

View Full Version : EVF is important but the length of time in EVF is too

tomtopo
March 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I coined the phrase EVF a long time ago but I haven't harped on the importance of keeping that set-up position throughout the power phase of the stroke. Setting-up each stroke with an Early Vertical Forearm position is difficult and keeping the forearm and hand vertical is even harder. Use slow deliberate drills that help develop muscle memory (it could take 6 to 8 weeks of consistent work). Good luck

If you have any questions, drop me a line at tomtopo@netzero.com Good luck

Allen Stark
March 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM
How do you relate the EVF concept to breaststroke?

tomtopo
March 10th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Allen,
The length of time EVF is acquired and maintained in breaststroke is very short. After the initial separation of the hands, EVF should be utilized. I've noticed underwater video of many breaststrokers and one things for sure, everyone pulls differently and the elbow position in the stroke is varied so much, and even as a breastroker myself, I'm hesitant to recommend anything cut and dry ( but EVF is a component to all of them in varied degrees). Of course the strength of the kick and it's relationship to the pull is also a variable that changes as much as Michigan's weather but it is what it is. Tell me what you think. Always a great pleasure to hear from you. Coach T.

Allen Stark
March 11th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I think in breaststroke the forearm doesn't need to be vertical,the width of the pull depending on many factors like strength and ability to generate hand speed,but the elbow needs to be high,just like regular EVF and you need to be maximizing propulsive surface,just like regular EVF. Also the "early"is vital.I think that it is important to get into a propulsive phase as early in the pull as possible and to hold a highly propulsive position(something like EVF)well into the insweep.