PDA

View Full Version : bragging on my kid

mlabresh
March 12th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I took my 11yo son to the pool with me last night. It's off season for my kids' team (all 5 of them swim), but they like to tag along with me to the pool so they don't get too out of shape during their break. My 11yo improved a LOT during the fall/winter season and, now that he's nearly as tall as me, we have a lot of fun racing each other. Before this season, I was faster than him in every stroke. But last night, he beat me by a body length in breaststroke and out touched me 3 times doing freestyle. I still beat him by about a body length doing fly, which he wasn't expecting. :D Neither of us wanted to race backstroke. These were just fun, push from the wall, 25yd races. I'm so proud that he's improved so much and his big goal for the summer season is to break the team record for the 100 free. :applaud:

Karl_S
March 12th, 2013, 03:19 PM
It's really fun to watch the kids progress isn't it?

Sometimes I swim with my daughter. Time was I would do double whatever distance she was doing - She did 50s, I did 100s. At one point I could do kick on the same interval she would swim - she would swim 100 free and I would kick 100 free. Then it was her doing 100s and me 150s but soon she was hanging out at the wall getting cold waiting for me to finish. We haven't swum together since December, but she was doing 150 with me 200. I'm sure that won't work now, her times have dropped percipitously. I don't mind doing the same workout, it's the crossover that I fear!

tigerchik
March 12th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Awesome and good on you for not letting him win. It means more when they beat you if it's for real.

mlabresh
March 13th, 2013, 09:01 AM
It is fun watching them learn and improve!

Yeah, there was one freestyle race that he said 'maybe I'll let you win this time..' I said 'you better not! I hate unfair races!'. I used to swim with someone who is nearly 10 years younger than me and over a foot taller than me. We'd always race the last lap and once in a while, I'd let him give me half a pool length lead. But he'd still kick my butt. :D

Bill Sive
March 13th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Great that you are spending pool time with your kids.

I was at a pool this past Sunday (So. Calif. 80 F, Sunny, Clear) a husband and wife brought their daughter to swim. The pool has space for recreational swimming and lap swimming at the same time. While resting at the wall for a few moments I heard the little girl ask her dad to swim with her. I felt sorry for the little girl because neither parent joined her in the pool. The mom did not seem interested and the dad was on his i-pad. Missed opportunity these parents can never get back. :(

mlabresh
March 13th, 2013, 06:07 PM
That kind of stuff makes me sad. My husband recently started swimming with me (he plays roller derby and was looking for a way to strengthen his core). One of the perks he mentioned is that now it will be even more fun for him to play in the pool with the kids and I when we go as a family (which we do quite often, especially in the summer). He's looking forward to getting better at swimming so we can all compete together. In the summer, we do the Iowa Games and they will have the junior and Masters meets together. Our daughters also play roller derby, so that's been a fun daddy/daughter bonding thing. And I'm lucky enough to be allowed to practice with the kids' team and get to swim in the advanced group with my oldest two sons.

We homeschool too, so I don't know if maybe doing things together as a family just comes naturally to us or what.. But it always makes me sad when parents pass up an opportunity to hang out with their kids!

Boomerang
March 13th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I completely agree with you and feel the same way when I see other parents just watching fun moments go by!

Fresnoid
March 14th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Most important parenting advice: Do stuff with your kids. Not to them or for them, with them.