PDA

View Full Version : Building relays

bkhoyt
March 30th, 2013, 09:33 PM
So I am coaching my team in their first State meet and I am looking for some advice on creating relays.
We have a diverse group, both in age and speed. It can't be as simple as putting the fastest swimmers
together followed by the next fastest group, etc...

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Kevin in MD
March 31st, 2013, 09:22 AM
So I am coaching my team in their first State meet and I am looking for some advice on creating relays.
We have a diverse group, both in age and speed. It can't be as simple as putting the fastest swimmers
together followed by the next fastest group, etc...

Assuming this is a yards meet,

Young and old age group relays are thinner and easier to do well in terms of meet points and top tens. Also, the 4 x 200 is the easiest to get top tens in.

The previous year's meet results and the top ten list from last year are your friends to figure out which age groups will do well for you.

Here are some of my notes on how I do it.
1. I do everything i can to get everyone in a relay, sometimes it means talent mismatches but those are the breaks.
2. Along with that, at the slower end of your medley relays it means some people are doing strokes they aren't the best in because your newer swimmers flat out can't do another stroke. Most commonly you'll have someone who just started swimming 4 months ago and can only swim freestyle or backstroke legally. So that means someone else is doing fly or breast who may not be an expert at it.
3. For medley relays I have everyone's name in excel with a note on their best stroke and what they can swim legally.
4. Setting up medley relays takes some time! There are lots of balls to juggle.
5. On free relays, I have seen lots of advanced order technique, I prefer a simple slowest to fastest, though I intentionally break that if someone just swam or will swim right after.

Good luck, I hope this is something you were after.