PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Recommendations

mpinsky
April 3rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Hi all!

I am pleased to report that my swim yardage and stamina has increased drastically since I last logged on here, and I even shaved off :44 of my 300 yard time during time trials for sprint triathlon.

I'm looking for recommendations on training paddles. I have suffered from two rotator cuff inflammation injuries in the past year alone without paddles, and while I have been fortunate to avoid a third, I could feel that inevitable tug while working with Speedo's flat, square training paddles.

I like training paddles in some of my workouts because they really work my arms and shoulders, but I'm looking for some with less of a flat edge that won't irritate my shoulder beyond some mild workout discomfort.

Any recommendations (I know the jury is up in the air whether training paddles are really good for swimmers of any sort, but I'd like to keep my options open)?

Thanks! :)

knelson
April 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
If you are having shoulder problems I would avoid using paddles. Why play with fire? That said, I have a pair of TYR Catalysts which I like and they are absolutely bomber. I used to used Strokemakers, but they would break after a couple years. Still a great paddle, just not nearly as durable as the Catalysts which use much thicker plastic.

Bill Sive
April 3rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
I started using the Speedo Tech paddles last year and really enjoy them. Personally I have sized down my hand paddles to the size of my hand no larger. Mild shoulder strain I was experiencing has gone away since using the smaller hand paddles.

mpinsky
April 4th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the great recommendations! I recently tried on a pair of Speedo's Contoured Swim Paddles and they are heavenly. I hardly feel any strain on my shoulder at all! Will definitely look into the other pairs before making a final decision and purchasing!

jaadams1
April 4th, 2013, 08:03 PM
If you are having shoulder problems I would avoid using paddles. Why play with fire? That said, I have a pair of TYR Catalysts which I like and they are absolutely bomber. I used to used Strokemakers, but they would break after a couple years. Still a great paddle, just not nearly as durable as the Catalysts which use much thicker plastic.

I 2nd the TYR Catalysts. I used them when the first models came out in college. My coach came back from the ASCA clinic that fall and brought two of them back with her, giving them to her two distance guys to try out. I loved them, and they're the same style I use today.

Atlantic
April 4th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Honestly, if you have a shoulder that can act up or is weak... Id stay away from any type of paddles. I have had two shoulder surgeries and I will never touch them again. Its not worth it. Please be careful!

aztimm
April 5th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I'd have to agree with everyone else on the paddle usage with shoulder injuries. Or at least limit their usage. Paddles, fins, and other toys can make great training aids. But when it comes down to it, they're only aids. If you do go with paddles, I'd start out with a small distance and gradually build up.

That said, with shoulder problems, something like fingertip paddles may make sense. I have the Speedo version, and use them primarily for breaststroke and backstroke, but do occasionally use them for free.

And I echo Kirk and James, on the TYR catalyst. I have a pair that I got way back in 2000. I've replaced the bands many times (about every year), but the paddles themselves are still going strong :)

tomtopo
April 6th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Here's a couple tips that will help you train with paddles more effectively. !) Try training without an over-the-water recovery. Put a snorkel on and examine the form you're trying to mimic and repeat it slow enough to encourage a ingrained habit. 2) Try a power-phase drill where you only move through the power-phase and back again (no over-water recovery).

By moving super slow the proper position is encouraged. I think most drills that try to cure underwater pulling patterns are done too fast to be effective. Good Luck, Coach T.