PDA

View Full Version : pre-meet jitters

mlabresh
April 5th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets nervous about swimming in meets. Right? :blush:

I don't worry so much about how I will compare to the other swimmers. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that because I can't even come close to them. I know that I'm really only competing with myself. Do those of you who are top-notch swimmers get nervous about not winning? I just worry about not doing well. I worry about messing up and looking stupid. I worry that I will look like a fool and have to remind myself that Masters swimmers are wonderful, non-judgmental people. :D

The thing that sucks is that I work my butt off (and I know I've gotten better!), but I have a tendency to get bummed as the meet gets closer because I feel like I still have SO far to go. Maybe I'm just too hard on myself. I swam on Thursday and felt LESS ready than I did two weeks ago. I don't know if my nerves just affected my swimming or what... Anyway. I often end up feeling like 'Why am I doing this?' as a meet gets closer rather than 'Let's do this!'. Today I'm getting my gear ready to go and trying to just remind myself that I'm only competing against myself and I KNOW I've improved since my last competition (last summer) - and that's the whole point, right? :agree:

What do you all get nervous about before your meets?

ekw
April 5th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I've gotten less nervous with each meet. I find that it's helpful to have a scapegoat to blame for whatever slate of events I've entered (of my own free will). I use James for that. :bolt:

__steve__
April 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
The jitters can make or break me. I am slowly shifting to the "make"

Jimbosback
April 5th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Since I swim very few meets, I get nrevous that I will make a little mistake, like diving too deep, that will mess up my time. I am also sure that one day I will mis-count my 200 BR and either stop after #6 or turn on #8. :-)

I am usualy able to settle down once I am behind the blocks. I try and turn the nrevous energy into focus.

jethro
April 5th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I always worry that I'll make some boneheaded mental error that will cost me time, like mis-timing a flip turn. Usually I'm fine after my first event and I can relax and focus more, so I try to swim an event I really don't care much about first, or a longer one that has more margin for error. :D

jaadams1
April 5th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I've gotten less nervous with each meet. I find that it's helpful to have a scapegoat to blame for whatever slate of events I've entered (of my own free will). I use James for that. :bolt:

HA!

I get nervous myself at meets. Depending mostly on what my first event of the meet is. I get a bit antsy before a 400 IM for some reason. It is a scary event at times, and I tend to take it out fast, so it's always in the back of my head that there's a chance of failure upcoming...
I don't fear getting beat by others, it happens to everyone. THough I try my darndest not to get beat too. :)

I'm heading into my LMSC Champs meet tomorrow with barely being back in the water after nearly 2 weeks out of the pool with my vacation. Granted, I'm not exactly using this as my end of season meet, but I still want to perform well. Knowing that I'm not in the greatest shape endurance-wise may make my a little less trigger-happy on the throttle control, though it would be good to video my 200 Fly and just go all out on it from the get-go like Chowmi was mentioning on her 500 Free.

StewartACarroll
April 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I'm heading into my LMSC Champs meet tomorrow with barely being back in the water after nearly 2 weeks out of the pool with my vacation. Granted, I'm not exactly using this as my end of season meet, but I still want to perform well. Knowing that I'm not in the greatest shape endurance-wise may make my a little less trigger-happy on the throttle control, though it would be good to video my 200 Fly and just go all out on it from the get-go like Chowmi was mentioning on her 500 Free.

I thought you were trying a new type of drop taper, you should be good and rested with that vacation of yours! Seriously though i am sure you will do great because you have a great aerobic base. Not sure about you and Chowmi's tactics though. That sounds like a really really painful way to swim either the 500 or the 200 fly, but it sure would be fun to watch!

rxleakem
April 5th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I use James for that. :bolt:
Same here!

Seriously, just remember to relax as much as possible, try to visualize your race ahead of swimming it (feel of the water after the start, speed into the turns, strong finish, etc), then have fun zooming through the water!
:cheerleader:

Fresnoid
April 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Being nervous means you care about doing your best, which is a good thing. In my spotty swimming career, the more anxious I felt before a race, the better I did.

knelson
April 5th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I get a bit antsy before a 400 IM for some reason. It is a scary event at times, and I tend to take it out fast, so it's always in the back of my head that there's a chance of failure upcoming...

Same with me for the 400 IM. When it hurts it can hurt BAD.

jaadams1
April 5th, 2013, 11:22 PM
I thought you were trying a new type of drop taper, you should be good and rested with that vacation of yours! Seriously though i am sure you will do great because you have a great aerobic base. Not sure about you and Chowmi's tactics though. That sounds like a really really painful way to swim either the 500 or the 200 fly, but it sure would be fun to watch!

200 Fly will be more planning than gung-ho this weekend. I'll play it by ear when the time comes. I'm sure my base will carry me pretty well, and since I've got over my early week sickness I may be just fine.

mlabresh
April 5th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I feel a little more relaxed this evening. My gear is all ready to go and all of my 5 kids have somewhere to go or someone to look after them so we don't have to have any tag-alongs. :D

I'm looking forward to my 50 FR tomorrow - I feel like I'll get a 'real' time on it. My only other recorded SCY time is from last July and I totally flipped too early on my turn and almost didn't touch the wall. So I was left to continue from nearly a dead stop after the turn and came in just under 38 seconds. :doh: I've worked hard on my butterfly through the fall/winter season, so I'm hoping I improved on that as well. And, now that I've corrected my breaststroke kick, it will be interesting to see if my time goes up or down on that one.

I usually feel calm enough once I'm at the meet and it comes time to race - the more relaxed I am and the more fun I'm having, the better I swim. So, hopefully, this will be a laid back meet. :cool:

I'm really hoping this meet goes well and that I'll feel even better when I go to my next one in two weeks. I'm hoping to add a couple new events at that one - maybe a longer distance (400 or 800 - it's SCM) or an IM.

ekw
April 6th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I feel a little more relaxed this evening. My gear is all ready to go and all of my 5 kids have somewhere to go or someone to look after them so we don't have to have any tag-alongs. :D

I'm looking forward to my 50 FR tomorrow - I feel like I'll get a 'real' time on it. My only other recorded SCY time is from last July and I totally flipped too early on my turn and almost didn't touch the wall. So I was left to continue from nearly a dead stop after the turn and came in just under 38 seconds. :doh: I've worked hard on my butterfly through the fall/winter season, so I'm hoping I improved on that as well. And, now that I've corrected my breaststroke kick, it will be interesting to see if my time goes up or down on that one.

I usually feel calm enough once I'm at the meet and it comes time to race - the more relaxed I am and the more fun I'm having, the better I swim. So, hopefully, this will be a laid back meet. :cool:

I'm really hoping this meet goes well and that I'll feel even better when I go to my next one in two weeks. I'm hoping to add a couple new events at that one - maybe a longer distance (400 or 800 - it's SCM) or an IM.

Good luck and have fun! You'll do great. :cheerleader:

Allen Stark
April 6th, 2013, 11:15 AM
It is amazing how destructive that little voice in the back of your head can be.I don't think I have ever gotten ready for a meet without at some point feeling that I'd embarrass myself or "let everyone down." I know that is ridiculous, but it happens none the less.Sometimes you just have to tell that part of your mind to "shut up."

Water Rat
April 6th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I get extremely nervous and sick to my stomach especially before my first event of the meet. The trick is to convert it into energy and not let it exhaust you. I do care how I place but I more care about PB's. In my mind, failure to drop time means I'm getting old!

ElaineK
April 6th, 2013, 07:55 PM
It is amazing how destructive that little voice in the back of your head can be.I don't think I have ever gotten ready for a meet without at some point feeling that I'd embarrass myself or "let everyone down." I know that is ridiculous, but it happens none the less.Sometimes you just have to tell that part of your mind to "shut up."

Yeah, tell it to "shut up", because you are THE King Frog and always will be! :cheerleader:

tigerchik
April 6th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I think I have fairly normal amounts of anxiety pre swim. It's a lot worse for me before a run or a triathlon (with running the worst of the three). I've raced enough in the pool that it's a very safe, comfy space.
I swim at a college pool and most often have a lane to myself, and I dislike warmup with so many people. I get anxious and nervous around lots of people, but that's unrelated to swimming...
If I start to get super nervous I just remind myself that unless you're Lance, no one actually cares what your time is :-)