PDA

View Full Version : Long QT

swoomer
April 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I'm female and over 65 and a recent routine EKG showed a resting heart rate of 42 and elongated QT. I take a beta blocker in an extremely low dose for PVC's which have persisted for 40 years. I'm in the process of evaluation with no answers for my questions. Does anyone have experience with this? I have plans for major competitions in the near future and don't know if I am in danger. Any experience out there?

gobears
April 5th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Hi swoomer - I'm in my late 40's and had an abnormal EKG a couple years ago that resulted in a preliminary Long QT diagnosis. It was both really creepy and really annoying. PM me and we can chat.

Bobinator
April 6th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Hi Swoomer!
I am 57 and a couple years ago my routine EKG revealed a LQT. I started out with an EP who wanted me to quit all exercise but that was not an option. I've been in endurance sports for an entire lifetime including a sub-3 hour marathon so I felt like if it were problematic I would be dead by now. I switched to a research group at the IUPUI Medical Center. I was given a full battery of heart function testing and genetically tested too. The variation of LQT I have has never been seen before. My Cardiologist/EP thinks it's a benign type but recommends that I stay on Beta Blockers so I do.
The most important advice I can give you is to get the genetic testing! Don't worry about what it costs, you need to know what you are dealing with and certain types of LQT can be deadly combined with exercise....especially swimming.
You should take this seriously and find a Doctor you trust and can work with. Good luck and pm me anytime you want or need to talk.