PDA

View Full Version : Backstroke Open Turn Videos- Please critique

ElaineK
April 6th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I'm baaaaack! Well, at least I'm back with something different this time. :D I have been working on a faster backstroke open turn and would like any constructive criticisms/ suggestions you can offer. PLEASE do not suggest I do a flipturn, as I have mentioned too many times before that I can't do them, because of my inner ear problem (Meniere's).

Straight on view:
UXHiMqQg3rc&feature=youtu.be
To the left:
1gLAO6QPyRU&feature=youtu.be
To the right:
hrYu65X-8go&feature=youtu.be
Underwater view:
fxTlfmVEVcU&feature=youtu.be

Thank you very much!
:agree:

Swimosaur
April 6th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Elaine, what you are doing looks exactly like the old "bucket turn", which was required until the rules changed, in 1991. Bucket turns can be very fast indeed, and it looks like you've got a good handle on it already. The one comment I'd offer is to make sure your lower legs, from just above the knee, clear the water completely. This will help you "snap" around quickly.

Here's a video of Krisztina Egerszegi winning the 200 backstroke in Seoul, 1988. If you jump forward to 5:30 in the vid, there's a pretty nice slow motion of the turn at the 100. See how Egerszegi and the other women get their feet and calves all the way out of the water, and really snap the turn.

xXSsSpLJUGk

You can probably find other vids if you look prior to 1991.

ElaineK
April 6th, 2013, 08:02 PM
The one comment I'd offer is to make sure your lower legs, from just above the knee, clear the water completely. This will help you "snap" around quickly.

Yep; you are so right! I have been working on my backstroke a lot, since I have had troubles with injuries on breaststroke. When I first started, I couldn't get my lower legs out at all. When I look at old videos of my 50 backstroke, they barely came out at all. I started playing with it, though, and trying different things. When I finally succeeded at getting my legs out and snapping my turn, I felt like this: :bliss: It felt SO fast! So, I have been working on improving it ever since and have had more success going to the left than my right. But, I will keep working on it! It's fun!!

Thanks for the suggestion and video clip- COOL!

knelson
April 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
The turn itself looks pretty solid. You do seem to be dragging one leg a little. Try to get your legs together and really spin them around fast. However, the major thing you need to work on is your underwater. Push off deeper and take at a minimum four dolphin kicks before surfacing.

ElaineK
April 7th, 2013, 03:24 PM
The turn itself looks pretty solid. You do seem to be dragging one leg a little. Try to get your legs together and really spin them around fast. However, the major thing you need to work on is your underwater. Push off deeper and take at a minimum four dolphin kicks before surfacing.

Thanks for your input and suggestion! I went back and looked at my underwater video and compared it to what I saw happening underwater in the video Swimosaur posted. The glaring thing I noticed was where the hand was placed on the wall before the turn. In my video, my hand never even made it underwater; I was coming in with it above or at the surface. In the race video, they are coming into the wall with their arm deep and their hand at the + . So, I tried that today and it worked. By pressing my shoulder and arm down, it gave me the leverage to get my hips up and my legs higher out of the water. It felt faster and I was able to get my legs planted lower on the wall, as well, so I could get those four dolphin kicks in before surfacing.

I will get another video posted soon to see if you think it's any better.

Thanks, again, Kirk!

ElaineK
April 9th, 2013, 06:21 PM

OK, I worked on this and had Bruce shoot more video. One thing I discovered was that the deeper I tried to plant my hand on the wall, the more out of control I was with my legs. When I tried to get them to go straight up and over, I had a difficult time keeping my legs together and getting them to land on the wall properly for a straight push-off. The videos below were my best ones, after 21 attempts! For these, I went with a shallower hand plant and spinning my legs more around sideways, rather than overhead. I felt like they were faster and more in control.

I definitely have more work to do on these; especially with getting a stronger SDK off the wall. But, it's a start. And, it's a better than the turn I did in my 50 backstroke race at Auburn!

Turn to the left:
6Q02lJCsh54&feature=youtu.be

Turn to the right:
nFFtFCcShH4&feature=youtu.be

My old style turn (black suit, white cap in lane 3)
615U7_6IanE