PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Pan American Masters Swimming Championships

ande
April 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
2013 Pan American Masters Swimming Championships (http://www.panamericanmasters2013.org)
Selby Aquatic Center, Sarasota, Florida
June 5 - 13, 2013

MEET INFO (http://www.panamericanmasters2013.org/swimming/swimming-meet-information/)

Wed June 5
800 freestyle

Thu June 6
400 IM
50 freestyle

Fri June 7
200 backstroke
100 freestyle

Sat June 8
100 backstroke
50 butterfly
200 freestyle

Sun June 9
200 freestyle relay (men’s, women’s, mixed)
200 medley relay (men’s, women’s, mixed)
Pan Am 2013 Social at Ringling Museum

Mon June 10
200 breaststroke
100 butterfly
50 backstroke

Tue June 11
200 IM
50 breaststroke
200 butterfly

Wed June 12
100 breaststroke
400 freestyle

Thu June 13
3K and 1K open water swims

Swimsuit Regulations

FINA rules as modified for Masters competition and as printed in the latest edition of the FINA Handbook will govern all aquatic disciplines at the V UANA Pan American Masters Championships. It is the responsibility of each competitor to be familiar with these rules. FINA rules and regulations may be found at fina.org (http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=259:gr-5-swimwear&catid=80:general-rules&Itemid=184).

FINA SWIMWEAR RULES (http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=273:bl-8-swimwear&catid=81:by-laws&Itemid=184)

FINA Approved Tech Suits (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=204355#post204355)

LIST: FINA Approved Swimwear (http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=304&Itemid=1006)

Allen Stark
April 9th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I wanted to go to this meet,but it is just too long with too much weekday time.I can't take that much time off work.If it had started Sat and ended Sun a week later it would have been more doable.

Fresnoid
April 9th, 2013, 10:30 PM
No 1500 = not a worthy meet. How would the rest of you like it if a major meet decided the 50 Free was not worth contesting?

Rob Copeland
April 10th, 2013, 08:41 AM
No 1500 = not a worthy meet. How would the rest of you like it if a major meet decided the 50 Free was not worth contesting?As a distance guy, Iíd be fine if a major meet decided the 50 Free was not worth contesting.

I also understand why the 1500 isnít contested at Masters continental and world championships. At a big meet the 800ís can take 12-14 hours; it would be difficult to get an event host to staff an event that took 24 or more hours to complete. And, I wouldnít want to be the guy in a heat that went off at 4:00 AM.

sunruh
April 10th, 2013, 08:55 AM
exactly

all you have to do is go back to my posts from italy last year.

i climbed onto the blocks for my 800m at 7:35pm and 100 guys in front of me had been DNS with on deck seating.
and this was a 10 lane pool!!! in a typical 8 lane pool that is 13 heats of 11 -14min each.
i wasnt even close to being in the last seeded heat (but now i would be! :D )
oh yeah, and this was *just* mens!!! women had their own pool.
of course it was the biggest meet ever held by almost 50% too
when the host country brings in as many entries as the largest meet and then you add in the rest of the world...it was a bit much

knelson
April 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I also understand why the 1500 isn’t contested at Masters continental and world championships. At a big meet the 800’s can take 12-14 hours; it would be difficult to get an event host to staff an event that took 24 or more hours to complete.

I understand, too. On the other hand, they could have a 1500 and just cap the number of entries.

Fresnoid
April 10th, 2013, 10:07 AM
exactly

all you have to do is go back to my posts from italy last year.

i climbed onto the blocks for my 800m at 7:35pm and 100 guys in front of me had been DNS with on deck seating.

For that meet, DNS means they really did swim, but no official time was posted because they were slower than the qualifying time, right?

Celestial
April 10th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Well, I'm going. But I live in Florida, and decided that it was less expensive to go to Sarasota (for me) than to fly to Indianapolis. I'm excited, and hope to be able to do some relays! I LOVE relays!! My biggest concern is how do I train/taper to make sure that I swim my 200 free fast on Saturday, and am not totally out of shape for the 100 breast & 400 free by the next Wednesday?
BTW, Siesta Keys is beautiful place to have a holiday, if you can afford the time off.

sunruh
April 11th, 2013, 09:31 AM
For that meet, DNS means they really did swim, but no official time was posted because they were slower than the qualifying time, right?

did not start/show

no, the dozens and dozens of those that didnt meet the qual time were given another code. in my age group alone it averaged 45-60 per event!

swimmieAvsFan
April 11th, 2013, 09:37 AM
did not start/show

no, the dozens and dozens of those that didnt meet the qual time were given another code. in my age group alone it averaged 45-60 per event!

Folks who don't swim fast enough to make the qualifying times are given an NT (No Time) in the results.

knelson
April 11th, 2013, 12:38 PM
So you've got those who didn't swim: DNS
And those who swam too much: NT
:banana:

PatrickJM
April 20th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I'm glad to see that FINA General Rule 5.2 excludes transparent suits for Masters, but does anyone know if they're enforcing the swim cap rule that allows a logo only on one side? And do our suits need the bar-code thingy on the back?

sunruh
April 22nd, 2013, 09:51 AM
hmmm not sure on that. i wore the USMS cap in italy. nothing was mentioned to me about that.

HOWEVER! i was almost DQ'd from climbing out of the pool after the 100 free by going over the wall next to the blocks.
tsk tsk tsk stupid american. go 5 lanes over to the ladder.
yes, the meet ref came over to me and told me to never do it again or i will be dq'd.

steve - warned!

knelson
April 22nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
HOWEVER! i was almost DQ'd from climbing out of the pool after the 100 free by going over the wall next to the blocks.
tsk tsk tsk stupid american. go 5 lanes over to the ladder.
yes, the meet ref came over to me and told me to never do it again or i will be dq'd.

Just read that this is how they are going to do it at USMS Nationals in Indy, too. I suppose with "fly-over" starts if you are too pokey getting out you risk triggering the pad when you exit the pool, so the solution is to make everyone exit at the side of the pool.

__steve__
April 22nd, 2013, 10:15 AM
The only thing our rulebook states about pool exits is during a relay. If the finished leg swimmer is unable to get out in time, they should hang on to the line out of the way the racing and equipment until the heat is done. Other than that, I didn't notice anything requiring exiting at the side ladder.

Bobinator
April 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
I got a dual confirmed DQ in the 50 Free at our state meet(Indiana) for exiting the pool incorrectly during Fly-over starts. Most people didn't even know we were doing them the first day and the confusion cost more time than if they'd done regular starts.
I'm wondering where in the rule book it states that you can get deeked for doing this? I guess it might qualify under "delay of meet." In the meantime I'm the only idiot I know of who has been deeked in the 50 free for something other than a false start. Maybe I should appear as a special guest on the Lochte show.

ekw
April 22nd, 2013, 11:49 AM
I was confused about the directions in the email about Nationals. So we wait in the water after we finish for everyone in the heat to be done, then we exit on the side and then the next heat starts? Or does the next heat start and then we exit? The latter makes more sense for "fly over" but seems scarier to me.

knelson
April 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
Or does the next heat start and then we exit?

Yes. The idea being that this saves time since you can start the next heat before everyone (anyone, technically) has cleared the water.

So I guess if you blow away your heat in the 1650 be prepared to hang out in your lane for a while since you won't be allowed to leave the water until everyone in your heat has finished swimming.

Allen Stark
April 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
At the end of a race I am frequently not thinking clearly.My natural instinct is to pull myself out of the pool when the heat is done.That seems a silly thing to get DQd for,especially as it doesn't slow the meet down.
With the flyover starts in a 25 yd pool it seems that it would be pretty easy for some swimmers to not have time to get out of the way before the next swimmer is coming back.It also seems pretty easy for someone to accidently kick the touch pad on their way to the side.

knelson
April 22nd, 2013, 04:37 PM
That seems a silly thing to get DQd for

I have a hard time believing they would actually DQ anyone for this, but I do think we'll be hearing the starter say "swimmers, please stay in the water" a lot the first day or so until everyone starts getting the idea.

Rob Copeland
April 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
I have a hard time believing they would actually DQ anyone for this, but I do think we'll be hearing the starter say "swimmers, please stay in the water" a lot the first day or so until everyone starts getting the idea.The general protocol we use for dive over starts for individual events other than backstroke (or when a swimmer will start in the water) is:

1 As swimmers in a heat finish they stay in their lane next to the wall
2 When the last swimmer is 5-10 yards from the wall the referee blows the short series of whistles (get ready) for the next heat
3 The Starter calls the heat
4 Just before the last swimmer touches, the referee blows a long whistle for the swimmers in the next heat to step up.
5 At this point, the swimmers in the water should be against the wall in their assigned lane, quiet and motionless
6 Once the starter sends off the next heat, the swimmers in the water should exit the pool in a quick and orderly fashion in accordance with referee directions

If the referee paces it well, you really donít see a lot of people trying to climb out when the starter is saying take your mark. We do still see a lot of people who donít know when to step up on the block.

Also the only call in a 50 requiring dual confirmation is a false start. There may have been some miscommunication about Robinís call. If it was a call with dual confirmation, then it was a false start.

ekw
April 22nd, 2013, 09:42 PM
Yes. The idea being that this saves time since you can start the next heat before everyone (anyone, technically) has cleared the water.

So I guess if you blow away your heat in the 1650 be prepared to hang out in your lane for a while since you won't be allowed to leave the water until everyone in your heat has finished swimming.

That'll teach those sandbaggers! :bolt:

Bobinator
April 23rd, 2013, 08:35 AM
The general protocol we use for dive over starts for individual events other than backstroke (or when a swimmer will start in the water) is:

1 As swimmers in a heat finish they stay in their lane next to the wall
2 When the last swimmer is 5-10 yards from the wall the referee blows the short series of whistles (get ready) for the next heat
4 Just before the last swimmer touches, the referee blows a long whistle for the swimmers in the next heat to step up.
5 At this point, the swimmers in the water should be against the wall in their assigned lane, quiet and motionless
6 Once the starter sends off the next heat, the swimmers in the water should exit the pool in a quick and orderly fashion in accordance with referee directions

If the referee paces it well, you really don’t see a lot of people trying to climb out when the starter is saying take your mark. We do still see a lot of people who don’t know when to step up on the block.

Also the only call in a 50 requiring dual confirmation is a false start. There may have been some miscommunication about Robin’s call. If it was a call with dual confirmation, then it was a false start.

This confused me too. I remember dual confirmation from my starter/referee days when my kids were swimmers. I know for sure I didn't false start because I'm always the last one in the water. The girl who swam in the next heat did indeed false start and did not swim the race. I think the lane workers at that point were confused and may have put the DQ on the wrong heat. At this point I didn't want to argue and look like an old jerk so I just said "okay." I'd much rather get deeked in the 50 than the 1650 although it was a good time for me.

Rob Copeland
April 23rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
At this point I didn't want to argue and look like an old jerk...Sometimes the official will accidently put the wrong event, heat, lane or swimmer name on a DQ slip. And sometimes the Hy-Tek operator will check the DQ on the wrong swimmer. This is part of why the referee or designated official makes “every reasonable effort to seek out the swimmer or the swimmer’s coach and inform one or both as to the reason for the disqualification”

If you are not notified of a DQ it is okay to:
1) Accept the DQ, knowing you swam the swim and got the time you got
2) Approach the meet or admin referee then respectfully let them know you were DQ’ed without notification and that you would like to see the DQ slip to understand why.

__steve__
April 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
So at my next meet I should just stay in the water until the start of the next heat?

I usually jump on the deck after my finishing touch to the pad.

knelson
April 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
So at my next meet I should just stay in the water until the start of the next heat?

It depends what your next meet is...

Rob Copeland
April 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
So at my next meet I should just stay in the water until the start of the next heat?As a rule of thumb, if they are doing normal starts or dive-overs, then stay in your lane until all swimmers have finished your heat. If they are doing chase starts, then exit the water as soon as possible.

Staying in your lane is a courtesy to the other swimmers in the heat and it helps the officials more easily see others as they finish.

Bobinator
April 23rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Sometimes the official will accidently put the wrong event, heat, lane or swimmer name on a DQ slip. And sometimes the Hy-Tek operator will check the DQ on the wrong swimmer. This is part of why the referee or designated official makes “every reasonable effort to seek out the swimmer or the swimmer’s coach and inform one or both as to the reason for the disqualification”

If you are not notified of a DQ it is okay to:
1) Accept the DQ, knowing you swam the swim and got the time you got
2) Approach the meet or admin referee then respectfully let them know you were DQ’ed without notification and that you would like to see the DQ slip to understand why.

I think the officials were a little short-handed and somewhat rookie at our state meet. I didn't want to come on too strong and give master's swimming a bad reputation around here; it's hard enough to find officials to work master's as it is so that's why I just dropped it. I agree that I should have pushed it since they didn't notify me when I climbed out of the pool. If I would have been a coach of a child at that meet I would have fought and had the call overturned but for me and my lousy 50 I chose to "let it be."

Celestial
April 23rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Something to remember, at least in a USAS meet, you can be DQ'd for a false start because you are moving when you are supposed to be still. You could still enter the water last & yet be considered to have "started" towards the water because your arms (or something) were still moving, or did not stop completely moving, prior to the beep.

Swimosaur
April 23rd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Protocol ...

I have big problems with balance. If I try to climb up on the block too quickly, I can easily lose my balance and fall in. So, instead of waiting for the long whistle, I start crawling onto the block when the referee blows the short whistles. This gives me enough time to get up and set, without falling in.

Nobody has ever said anything to me about it, but I guess it is a violation of protocol. Can you get deeked for getting on the blocks too early?

Rob Copeland
April 23rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
With apologies to the 2013 Pan American Masters Swimming Championships for continuing this off topic posting…

Online registration will close at midnight EDT on April 30, 2013.On Topic:D

I have big problems with balance. If I try to climb up on the block too quickly, I can easily lose my balance and fall in. So, instead of waiting for the long whistle, I start crawling onto the block when the referee blows the short whistles. This gives me enough time to get up and set, without falling in.

My advice is to explain your condition to the deck referee and ask if it is okay to step up early. If the ref says no, then at the long whistle, step up and take as much time as you need to safely get into a ready position. The referee shouldn’t turn the heat over to the starter until all swimmers are ready.

I have known refs who will stand down a heat if they get up too early. And a few have threatened to DQ swimmers, but I haven’t seen them do it…yet.

ALM
April 29th, 2013, 12:42 PM
:bump:Bumping this thread back up to the top... :bump:

REMINDER:

Entries close TOMORROW, April 30th, for the 2013 Pan American Championships.

http://www.panamericanmasters2013.org/

Bobinator
April 30th, 2013, 11:59 PM
I just entered right before the deadline!!!! I dislike racing long course but I'm looking forward to visiting my daughter and getting some Pan Am Swim shirts and caps. I think this will be fun!

Bobinator
May 1st, 2013, 12:05 AM
Something to remember, at least in a USAS meet, you can be DQ'd for a false start because you are moving when you are supposed to be still. You could still enter the water last & yet be considered to have "started" towards the water because your arms (or something) were still moving, or did not stop completely moving, prior to the beep.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't moving around either. I think they got the wrong heat number somewhere along the way. They did notify Melanie when she dove in early but did not notify me after my race. I think I may start practicing starts a bit more when our team does them. It serves me right to get deeked either way since I just do another set in the water any time our team works on starts.

joseferraz
May 5th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Folks,
From organizers e-mail, registration closed for the pan-american with nearly 1700 participants (swimming, synchr, and open water).
It is going to be a really big event...

Swimosaur
May 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
For some reason, Jim posted this in the 2013 Summer Nationals thread. I think this is interesting!

794 USMS members are entered in the Pan-Ams meet. The demographics from all FINA federations are attached.

I am really looking forward to this! A bunch of swimmers are coming from South and Central America, including 258 from Venezuela, 94 from Brazil, and 72 from Mexico. But that's not all! There are ... listen to this ... 20 from Russia, 16 from the Czech Republic, 11 from Ukraine, 3 from Rwanda, and 1 from Kazakhstan! How cool is that?

Where can I get a bunch of little USA pins for cheap?

StewartACarroll
May 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM
For some reason, Jim posted this in the 2013 Summer Nationals thread. I think this is interesting!I am really looking forward to this! A bunch of swimmers are coming from South and Central America, including 258 from Venezuela, 94 from Brazil, and 72 from Mexico. But that's not all! There are ... listen to this ... 20 from Russia, 16 from the Czech Republic, 11 from Ukraine, 3 from Rwanda, and 1 from Kazakhstan! How cool is that?Where can I get a bunch of little USA pins for cheap?So the more the merrier, but I thought PanAm was For swimmers from the Americas(North, Central or South)? What are the rules about which countries can participate?

knelson
May 19th, 2013, 09:51 PM
and 1 from Kazakhstan! How cool is that?

As long as it's not Borat!

Fresnoid
May 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM
As long as it's not Borat!

Yeah, his swim suit is not compliant. it goes higher than his navel

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fKPiB80bL.jpg

Swimosaur
May 19th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Where can I get a bunch of little USA pins for cheap?

I just ordered a ridiculous number of little American flag lapel pins for 25 cents each. If they arrive on time (there is some question about that and I am pressing the vendor), we can hand them out like candy at the meet. What fun! Come get some from me.

Edit: Vendor says for sure they will be here on time.

Glenn
May 20th, 2013, 12:37 PM
So the more the merrier, but I thought PanAm was For swimmers from the Americas(North, Central or South)? What are the rules about which countries can participate?

No rules on that. It's just like our Nationals, anyone from any where can swim. I have swum at Canadian Nationals once and German Nationals once.

It's very cool regarding the very wide diversity of countries participating!

ALM
May 20th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I just ordered a ridiculous number of little American flag lapel pins for 25 cents each. If they arrive on time (there is some question about that and I am pressing the vendor), we can hand them out like candy at the meet. What fun! Come get some from me.

Judd, that is great! Do you want us to chip in to help pay for them?

Anna Lea

jaadams1
May 20th, 2013, 09:23 PM

Anna Lea

Judd...the answer should be yes to this offer. Take it... :)

Britt03
May 21st, 2013, 07:55 AM
Pan Ams will be a great meet. I'm a little underwhelmed with the entires in the lower age groups though. thinking about hopping over the pond for German Master Nationals right after Pan Ams. Anybody else?

ekw
May 21st, 2013, 10:11 AM
I'm wishing I'd signed up for Pan Ams but the timing just didn't work for me.

Pan Ams will be a great meet. I'm a little underwhelmed with the entires in the lower age groups though. thinking about hopping over the pond for German Master Nationals right after Pan Ams. Anybody else?

Does daydreaming now that you've mentioned it count as thinking about it? :)

Britt03
May 21st, 2013, 02:34 PM
I'm wishing I'd signed up for Pan Ams but the timing just didn't work for me.

Does daydreaming now that you've mentioned it count as thinking about it? :)

YES! :) That's what I do all day.

Swimosaur
May 21st, 2013, 03:48 PM

Anna Lea

Thanks, Anna Lea! American swimmers, if you want some flag pins to share with our guests, I will have some! If you want to chip in, I'm getting them at 5 for a dollar!

ande
May 28th, 2013, 11:21 AM
2013 Pan American Masters Swimming Championships (http://www.panamericanmasters2013.org)
Selby Aquatic Center, Sarasota, Florida
Wed Jun 5 - 13, 2013

Event Entries and Start Lists / PSYCH & Heats (http://www.usms.org/comp/panams13/heats/)

MEET INFO (http://www.panamericanmasters2013.org/swimming/swimming-meet-information/)

Wed June 5
800 freestyle

Thu June 6
400 IM
50 freestyle

Fri June 7
200 backstroke
100 freestyle

Sat June 8
100 backstroke
50 butterfly
200 freestyle

Sun June 9
200 freestyle relay (men’s, women’s, mixed)
200 medley relay (men’s, women’s, mixed)
Pan Am 2013 Social at Ringling Museum

Mon June 10
200 breaststroke
100 butterfly
50 backstroke

Tue June 11
200 IM
50 breaststroke
200 butterfly

Wed June 12
100 breaststroke
400 freestyle

Thu June 13
3K and 1K open water swims

Swimsuit Regulations

FINA rules as modified for Masters competition and as printed in the latest edition of the FINA Handbook will govern all aquatic disciplines at the V UANA Pan American Masters Championships. It is the responsibility of each competitor to be familiar with these rules. FINA rules and regulations may be found at fina.org (http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=259:gr-5-swimwear&catid=80:general-rules&Itemid=184).

FINA SWIMWEAR RULES (http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=273:bl-8-swimwear&catid=81:by-laws&Itemid=184)

FINA Approved Tech Suits (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=204355#post204355)

LIST: FINA Approved Swimwear (http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=304&Itemid=1006)

Karl_S
May 28th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Event 14 Men 50 Meter Butterfly

================================================== = Name Age Club Time ================================================== = 18-24 1 Salcedo Meza, Alberto Jose A 19 ENJA 26.07 2 Cox, Mark A 22 SYSM 26.54
What's the deal? Has water rat been lying about his age all this time?

matysekj
May 29th, 2013, 11:06 AM

Obviously a different Mark Cox. I don't know Water Rat, but do know this Mark and he is VERY fast!

Karl_S
May 29th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Obviously a different Mark Cox. I don't know Water Rat, but do know this Mark and he is VERY fast!
Indeed. My post was actually an attempt at humor. With a 26s LCM 50 fly, I agree this Mark is fast!

ALM
May 29th, 2013, 10:01 PM
New starting blocks for PanAms!

http://forums.usms.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7582&d=1369879188

Fresnoid
May 29th, 2013, 10:49 PM

For a donation to USMS, you and Jim will pose for a pic with the donor on the block?

pdjang
May 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all you do for Masters Swimming! I'd be honored to start in lane 7.

Rob Copeland
May 30th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all you do for Masters Swimming! I'd be honored to start in lane 7.#38 Men 100 LC Meter Breaststroke
Heat 13 of 23 Finals
7 Matysek, Jim 54 SYSM-USA 1:22.22

Is it too late to deck enter the meet?

matysekj
May 30th, 2013, 02:39 PM
#38 Men 100 LC Meter Breaststroke
Heat 13 of 23 Finals
7 Matysek, Jim 54 SYSM-USA 1:22.22

Yeah, I'm hoping to get some sort of landowner (blockowner?) mojo going for that one. I think I should at least get 0.5 - 1.0 seconds taken off my time every time I swim in that lane.

Water Rat
May 30th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I'm so busted! I'm also a closet butterflyer!!!

Allen Stark
May 30th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping to get some sort of landowner (blockowner?) mojo going for that one. I think I should at least get 0.5 - 1.0 seconds taken off my time every time I swim in that lane.

Is that the block with the jet assisted takeoff that you can engage for your swims?

matysekj
May 30th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Is that the block with the jet assisted takeoff that you can engage for your swims?

I wish. Sometimes my reaction times are so slow they are almost Copeland-esque. Fortunately these blocks don't have reaction time sensors. Unfortunately, I'm never in the lane next to Rob so I don't get to look good.

Rob Copeland
May 31st, 2013, 08:15 AM
Sometimes my reaction times are so slow they are almost Copeland-esque.Iím just making sure everyone gets into the water safely before I decide to start.

jroddin
May 31st, 2013, 08:43 AM
I’m just making sure everyone gets into the water safely before I decide to start.

You could have improved at least half a second on your channel crossing time had you had a quicker start off that boat!

Swimosaur
June 3rd, 2013, 07:37 PM

Little flag pins are here! They are cute! (That's a penny.)

Bobinator
June 3rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Little flag pins are here! They are cute! (That's a penny.)

7587 The pins are awesome!!!! I arrived last night and I'm staying in St. Pete at my college daughters apartment. I had a very nice 3,800 distance workout at the HOT Seminole city pool. We're driving over to Sarasota tomorrow to pick-up check-in stuff and figure out where everything is. Is anyone else there yet??

sunruh
June 4th, 2013, 07:59 AM
had things gone vastly different i would be flying in today to swim the 800 tomorrow. oh well.
good luck to all those that are going!

steve

Rob Butcher
June 4th, 2013, 11:44 AM
The media has been terrific covering the Pan Ams and telling the USMS story. Welcome signs are up in Tampa International Airport and Sarasota International Airport as well. Here is a sampling:

June 4 / Front cover Sarasota Herald Tribune:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20130603/ARTICLE/130609905/2416/NEWS

June 4 / Front cover Sarasota Herald Tribune:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130530/GRAPHICS02/130539973/2416/NEWS&template=graphics

June 3 / Front cover Sarasota Herald Tribune:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20130603/ARTICLE/306039983/2416/NEWS

June 2 / Front cover Sarasota Herald Tribune:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20130602/ARTICLE/130609949/2416/NEWS

June, Sarasota Magazine feature:
http://sarasotamagazine.com/blog/2013/05/30/sarasota-ymcas-sharks-masters-swimming-team-hosts-2013-pan-am-championship/

May 31 / ABC 7 News:
http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/local/swimmers-invade-suncoast-for-international-competition/article_b36430f0-ca36-11e2-9cfa-001a4bcf6878.html

May 30 / Front cover Sarasota Herald Tribune:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20130530/ARTICLE/130539963/2416/NEWS

May 25 / Front cover Sarasota Herald Tribune:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20130525/ARTICLE/130529760/2416/NEWS

Live stream will be up tomorrow at www.usms.org and www.panamericanmasters2013.org

... Rob

ALM
June 5th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Article about Bumpy Jones and Graham Johnston...

June 5 / Front page Sarasota Herald Tribune:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20130604/ARTICLE/130609862/2055/NEWS?Title=After-decades-of-Masters-swimming-a-contest-close-to-home

Ken Classen
June 5th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Done some searching but can't find a link to real time results, anyone know of one?

matysekj
June 5th, 2013, 02:26 PM
http://www.usms.org/comp/panams13/realtime/

Bobinator
June 5th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I just arrived back home from day # 1 of Pan Am Championships!!! Wow, an awesome pool, great organization, super friendly people, and cool medals!!!! I can't wait to go back Saturday, and I regret that I have to scratch the 400 Free.

Karl_S
June 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Obviously NOT a sandbagger: Event 2 Men 45-49 800 LC Meter Freestyle
================================================== ================
2 Makarychev, Sergey 48 PSDN-RUS 10:00.00 10:00.23
33.16 1:09.78 (36.62)
1:47.19 (37.41) 2:25.08 (37.89)
3:02.91 (37.83) 3:40.98 (38.07)
4:19.43 (38.45) 4:57.45 (38.02)
5:35.55 (38.10) 6:13.84 (38.29)
6:52.17 (38.33) 7:30.23 (38.06)
8:08.14 (37.91) 8:46.07 (37.93)
9:23.97 (37.90) 10:00.23 (36.26)

Karl_S
June 5th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I just arrived back home from day # 1 of Pan Am Championships!!! Wow, an awesome pool, great organization, super friendly people, and cool medals!!!! I can't wait to go back Saturday, and I regret that I have to scratch the 400 Free.
'looks like you destroyed your seed time.

Rob Copeland
June 6th, 2013, 09:29 AM
It looks like Andrea is ready to take the Pan Am Games by storm. I hope she blows through quickly and leaves nothing but interesting stories in her wake.

It looks like the first event of the day got in…

Way to go prez!!!

Event 3 Women 40-44 400 LC Meter IM
1 Day, Nadine K 43 UNAT-USA 5:44.30 5:37.22
34.14 1:13.71 (39.57)
1:59.30 (45.59) 2:44.05 (44.75)
3:32.57 (48.52) 4:20.72 (48.15)
5:00.17 (39.45) 5:37.22 (37.05)

thewookiee
June 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
You could have improved at least half a second on your channel crossing time had you had a quicker start off that boat!

Well, actually, he would have started from the shore, not the boat. So, if he had run a bit quicker into the water...wait, we are talking about Rob running, never mind that would have been slower.

sunruh
June 6th, 2013, 01:06 PM
why so many NO SHOWS in the 800 when there was positive checkin?

same disaster from worlds in italy last year?

ALM
June 6th, 2013, 01:49 PM
why so many NO SHOWS in the 800 when there was positive checkin?

There was no positive check-in for the distance events at this meet.

I have been working in the check-in area and I know that some entrants were unable to obtain visas to travel to the U.S.

sunruh
June 6th, 2013, 05:26 PM
then why didnt they do on deck seeding to fill the heats?

oh never mind this is a fina event...

Karl_S
June 6th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Event 4 Men 50-54 400 LC Meter IM
WORLD: W 4:53.69 8/2/2010 MARCUS MATTIOLI, BRA
NATL: N 5:04.32 7/26/2009 JAMIE FOWLER
Name Age Club Seed Finals
1 Rasmussen, Anders M 50 TXLA-USA 5:08.19 5:07.51
31.35 1:08.18 (36.83)
1:48.60 (40.42) 2:28.45 (39.85)
3:11.43 (42.98) 3:56.33 (44.90)
4:32.74 (36.41) 5:07.51 (34.77)
Good job by a forumite.

knelson
June 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Ande also won the 50 free. Pretty decent first day I'd say!

pwb
June 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM
then why didnt they do on deck seeding to fill the heats?

oh never mind this is a fina event...Are you telling me that deck seeding distance events -- nay, all events -- is not standard for large FINA meets?

matysekj
June 6th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I don't know about FINA rules - I think it is okay to deck seed events. For this meet, the decision was to not require positive check-in just to avoid confusion and having upset people locked out of events due to language issues.

sunruh
June 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Are you telling me that deck seeding distance events -- nay, all events -- is not standard for large FINA meets?

PWB, they did deck seeding at worlds in Italy last year. many missed their 800 because they could not understand their own name being called or the process when you saw your own name on the video board. i almost missed mine because i didnt know what to do. thankfully i showed a lady my badge and got put into the right spot just in time.
well over 100 men did not swim the 800 in italy for various reseasons. what i do know is that i personally talked with 3 that did not get to swim because they missed it and yet were there.

now at pan-am's we have (as an example) 3 open lanes in the final heat of mens. that is sad.

i have learned very quickly pwd, that at a fina event, it's not about the competitors, its about the tan coats.
not having positive checkin because of language issues is understandable, but then not having deck seeding as well just isnt smart on the distance events.

guppy
June 10th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know if there is a video of day 1?

Karl_S
June 11th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Congrats to Ande.
Not only did he have a good meet, but he was astoundingly accurate with his seed times!

Event 4 Men 50-54 400 LC Meter IM
WORLD: W 4:53.69 8/2/2010 MARCUS MATTIOLI, BRA
NATL: N 5:04.32 7/26/2009 JAMIE FOWLER
1 Rasmussen, Anders M 50 TXLA-USA 5:08.19 5:07.51
31.35 1:08.18 (36.83)
1:48.60 (40.42) 2:28.45 (39.85)
3:11.43 (42.98) 3:56.33 (44.90)
4:32.74 (36.41) 5:07.51 (34.77)

Event 6 Men 50-54 50 LC Meter Freestyle
WORLD: W 24.08 6/27/2009 BRENT BARNES, JPN
NATL: N 24.58 8/9/2009 AMBROSE GAINES
1 Rasmussen, Anders M 50 TXLA-USA 26.07 26.29
Event 30 Men 50-54 50 LC Meter Backstroke
WORLD: W 28.60 8/5/2011 STEVE WOOD, USA
NATL: N 28.60 8/5/2011 STEVE WOOD
1 Rasmussen, Anders M 50 TXLA-USA 29.50 29.54

Event 32 Men 50-54 200 LC Meter IM
WORLD: W 2:18.05 7/25/2009 JAMIE FOWLER, USA
NATL: N 2:18.05 7/25/2009 JAMIE FOWLER
1 Rasmussen, Anders M 50 TXLA-USA 2:22.55 2:22.45
30.72 1:09.45 (38.73)
1:49.87 (40.42) 2:22.45 (32.58)

Swimosaur
June 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I just ordered a ridiculous number of little American flag lapel pins for 25 cents each ... we can hand them out like candy at the meet. What fun!

What fun is right! It was an amazing amount of fun! I gave away all 350 pins, mostly by giving them to other North Americans to give to South Americans, but also giving away lots myself. The Venezuelans really responded! I am now the proud owner of a Venezuelan team t-shirt and a really nice Venezuelan team polo shirt and a Venezuelan swim cap, and lots of Venezuelans now have little American flag lapel pins! What fun!

Congratulations to everyone who put together a great meet! It was really fun!

swimcat
June 14th, 2013, 09:09 AM
where are the results for the open water. i cannot find them

jroddin
June 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
where are the results for the open water. i cannot find them

http://www.panamericanmasters2013.org/open-water/open-water-results/