PDA

View Full Version : IM transition back to breast?

sok454
April 20th, 2013, 06:26 PM
My state meet is next weekend and I am doing my first IM. What is the allowed transition from back to breast?

Jimbosback
April 20th, 2013, 06:55 PM
As long as you stay on your back until you touch, you can do whetever turn you want.

smontanaro
April 20th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Don't you also have to leave with your chest past vertical (more pointing down than up)?

Swimosaur
April 20th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Da Rulez (http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf), article 101.6.3, section B, part (2):

101.6 Individual Medley
101.6.3 Turns

B The turns when changing from one stroke to another shall conform to the finish rules for the stroke just completed, and shall be as follows:

(2) Backstroke to breaststroke—The swimmer must touch the wall while on the back. Once a legal touch has been made, the swimmer may turn in any manner, but the shoulders must be at or past the vertical toward the breast when the swimmer leaves the wall and the prescribed breaststroke form must be attained prior to the first arm stroke.

swimark
April 21st, 2013, 04:06 PM
In the following video at the 24 second mark, is this a league turn? (I've always done the one at the 34 second mark.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9WNujw9SU

Jimbosback
April 21st, 2013, 06:03 PM
In the following video at the 24 second mark, is this a league turn? (I've always done the one at the 34 second mark.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9WNujw9SU

That's what I do -- but I think his pullout was a DQ.

Rob Copeland
April 22nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
In the following video at the 24 second mark, is this a league turn? In my opinion both are legal turns. In each case the swimmer finishes on his back. And from the angle it appears that he is towards his breast as he starts his breaststroke.

knelson
April 22nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
but I think his pullout was a DQ.

Because his second arm pull is before he surfaces? It's close, that's for sure. I doubt he'd get DQed for that.

Jimbosback
April 22nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
Because his second arm pull is before he surfaces? It's close, that's for sure. I doubt he'd get DQed for that.

His head looked deep to me at the start of the second pull. If it was me who did that, I would be afraid of a dq.

sok454
April 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
After watching those vids I definitely need to practice this week before the state meet!!

ande
April 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
You must be on your back during back. Which means your shoulders can't go past vertical.
You must touch the wall with one hand while on your back.
You must push off the wall on your stomach (Which means your shoulders can't go past vertical.)

It's smart to learn how to turn fast and not waste time on the wall trying to turn.
I like to flip straight over.
Try different ways and figure out what works best for you.
The faster your go into your turn, the faster you'll turn. Ideally your take your last stroke reach for the wall and it's right there.
Back in the old days in backstroke our hands had to touch the wall on each turn.
Some swimmers do an open turn.
Take several big breaths before you turn BK to BR to have a great breastroke pull out.

knelson
April 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
His head looked deep to me at the start of the second pull.

As long as his head breaks the surface before the inward part of the pull it's OK. I'd say it's close, but I doubt close enough to call.

Allen Stark
April 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
His head looked deep to me at the start of the second pull. If it was me who did that, I would be afraid of a dq.
I think he started his insweep before his head broke the surface,but that it was too close for a turn judge to DQ him.