PDA

View Full Version : Please review my start

sok454
April 23rd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Please review my starts. I'm the fat pale guy.
http://youtu.be/wMDVOUxb5Pc

greenjeans11
April 23rd, 2013, 09:01 PM
Hi, I've only been in 6 or 7 meets, am a chubby White female. Your arms stayed forward, which is good. Your legs, from this view, looked like you take a wide stance, but your legs came together more as you hit the water. You look up on the block, try looking down only, not forwaed. If you push harder with your legs and, I believe, thrust more with our arms rather than just lift them, you might go out further. Your head looked tucked between your arms. I think that's important, to kind of press your ears with your arms to have a narrow entry into the pool. That's all I've got. Good luck!

sok454
April 23rd, 2013, 09:34 PM
Good i wAs hoping to keep more narrow. On breast I'm reaching g a bit past halfway so I'm happy w that.

Fresnoid
April 23rd, 2013, 10:04 PM
On the 2nd one, it looked like you were grabbing firmly with your hands and leaning back. I'm not a start expert. I have the vertical leap of a turtle, but I was taught the hands should be relaxed with your weight balanced. At the gun, pull down on the block to help start your forward motion.

Spock
April 24th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Hi Sean. I like your sense of humor. I suggest placing your back foot more rearward (I go to the end of the block unless it's a super long one) and to go up on the ball of this foot rather than flat. Pressure slightly back on this on "Take your mark" ... but not too much rear weight ...

Practice the take your mark over and over rather than burning yourself out doing full starts. You need to find the place where you coil the best for full explosiveness. Keep up the good work!

Why Not
April 24th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Sean Kelly!! That is also a very famous Irish sprinter, but then on 2 wheels.

What I see is a slight twist in your whole body towards the rear leg. So your shoulders are not aligned with the side of the pool. Due to that you do not use the rear leg so much in your push off from the block.

sok454
April 24th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Sean Kelly!! That is also a very famous Irish sprinter, but then on 2 wheels.

What I see is a slight twist in your whole body towards the rear leg. So your shoulders are not aligned with the side of the pool. Due to that you do not use the rear leg so much in your push off from the block.

Yes he was.. My boss a few years ago was a huge cycling fan of his. Even ulled out a picture of him the first time we met!

When I reviewed the film I noticed that my right leg was a bit turned as well. I will work on it tonight. I'm just glad that I am getting out farther on my underwaters.

Question though... I assume the 15m line is the White mark on the lane line at the opposite end?

Fenella
April 24th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I have never seen such high blocks ! Are they standard height? Without the step I would need a hoist

sok454
April 24th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I would assume they are legit as its a Y that is only 2 years old and hosts large meets. There is a step on the side. I believe the end I was on is not used as frequently as the other end. The opposite end has the usual step behind the block.

The first time I stepped on them a few months ago I was like... whoa.... this is HIGH... seems a bit different than 25+ years ago when I was 10

Rich Abrahams
April 24th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Sean,
I noticed your rear foot and knee were rotated outward and the back foot was flat . Make sure they are lined up with your front foot and your stance is narrow. Try to get the shin on your rear leg to be close to horizontal, not so vertical. Like Kip said, by moving the foot back farther and coming up on your toes y you'll improve your drive power. You can experiment with where your center of gravity should be with the goal of using the one that gets you into the water the cleanest. When done right you can really feel the acceleration when you enter the water. For me , leaning slightly forward gives me my cleanest entry. Experiment to see which one works best for you.

Allen Stark
April 24th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I like to lean back as I feel it gives me more spring forward.Whether you lean back or stay neutral you need to use your arms.At the beep pull forward/push backward with your arms.As noted above you seem to be gripping the block too tightly.Just hook your fingers over the edge.